1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

#8 v. #7 and #7 v. #6

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bgbc, Jul 13, 2006.

1. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    #6 is what I wanted and what I got. I'm sure NAV is a fun toy (and I do like gadgets), but I really wouldn't have any use for it. Most of my driving is commuting or traveling in areas where i know my way. It was definitely not worth $2,000 for me. As for leather, I've never thought it was any great thing.

My car was promised in 3 weeks and delivered in 3 weeks.

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jul 14 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]286206[/snapback]</div>
    I firmly believe that "He who dies with the most toys, wins" Having said that, when I looked at the options, for 2006, I didn't want HID lighting (I hate being blasted by cars with HID, so why would I want to do it to someone else?) I didn't need a GPS - I have 2 - A Garmin Street Pilot 2610, and an IQue 3600- I did want leather. What I ended up doings was buy the Black #5, and add after-market leather. It cost $1200.00 and looks great. The match to the interior is almost perfect.

Of course I've continued to add "toys" - side strips - Shark Fin ( on order - I'll get it someday)- External Sirius antenna (under the Shark Fin - and finally the BT plate (ordered today)

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgbc @ Jul 14 2006, 06:55 AM) [snapback]286176[/snapback]</div>
    Yesterday when I got in my car (which had been sitting in the sun for ~4-5 hours) the temp gauge read 91 degrees, and the leather was NOT hot. And this is in a BLACK car too. :)

This isn't based on anything scientific, but I've noticed that the leather in my Prius has a different feel to it than any other car leather I've felt yet. I've recently compared it to tan leather in a brand new Acura MDX, tan leather in a 2-year old Lexus 330, and dark gray leather in a 2-year old Honda Accord. It feels softer, and also not as warm to the touch when sitting in the hot SoCal sun (darn this heat wave!)

4. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgbc @ Jul 14 2006, 06:55 AM) [snapback]286176[/snapback]</div>
    Don't give up too easily. Hit many dealers and be persistant(see my post on my hunt in another topic). You are in a good area for searching.

5. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jul 14 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]286206[/snapback]</div>

Hey !
    wait a minuite here !
    That looks like my car !!!

6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2 Cents

I have a Package 8 (actually a Package 7 with Port leather and dealer installed leather steering wheel and armrests), I love gadgets, but I won't buy another Toyota with a factory Navi system as long as they defeat most of the Navi and Bluetooth features while the car is moving. If navigation is for you, aftermarket units are getting better and cheaper and the Toyota modified systems are getting dumber and more expensive.

I love the leather in my Prius, even for South Florida. Too bad factory leather is only available with factory Navi.

Next time, it's aftermarket Navi, and aftermarket leather for me. Stick with package 6, or lower if that's your preference and add your own "top end" modifications.

ps My wife and I have been long time Acura/Navi owners (me MDX's, her TL's). The Toyota factory Navi unit gets a 5 compared to the Honda factory units 10 (you can use all Honda Navi and Phone features while moving). She just bought a Lexus ES350 without Navi and will add her own aftermarket unit. Yes, otherwise, we're happier with Toyota than Honda.

7. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike b @ Jul 13 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]285865[/snapback]</div>
    You can actually get leather on any Prius, so choose your favorite package, then add the leather. For an inbound car that hasn't hit the port, you can get the port option (at least for Texas region). In addition, several dealers offer the "genuine Toyota leather" covers for cars that are already on the lot, often at a modest savings (just under $1000).

There always is, of course, after market, but you need to confirm that the after market covers are *properly* designed for side airbag deployment. The seams on the edge of the seat have to split properly, or you'll end up with a seat that looks like a Jiffy Pop cooker (do they still make those?). :wacko:

8. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

pkg 8 is the only way 2 go.

9. haceaton

haceaton New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stan57 @ Jul 14 2006, 02:39 AM) [snapback]286114[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, an alternate route (detour) is one of the few things you can do on the screen while moving. An alternate destination is only possible with the voice commands while moving.

10. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also got a #7 with port leather. I wanted an 8 but was told they were extremely hard to come by in the Southeast. I miss the leather steering whell though. I will probably put on wheelskins but your comment of dealer installed leather sttering wheel caught my eye. Was this very expensive to do? How does it match the port leather? Thanks in advance for the info.