1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

80,000km scheduled service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gen2prius, Jun 22, 2017.

1. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    So it's time for 80,000km scheduled service, looking at the handbook the car needs new fuel filter (including in-tank filter), engine air cleaner filter, and brake fluid. That's in addition to engine oil and filter.

I was wondering is changing the fuel filters a big task? And are they costly parts?

The dealer charged AU$220 for 70,000km service, which was essentially engine oil and filter replacement.

But for the 80,000km service, they are quoting AU$880, which roughly means they want AU$660 to replace the fuel filters, brake fluid, and air filter. Do you think that's reasonable?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. Time to find an independent servicer, or DIY.

Also, I would not rush to change the brake fluid. You'll have to research the fuel filter location, as a separate fuel filter is not a feature of North American Prius which has the filter integrated within the fuel tank.

srellim234 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think third gen Australian shedule also calls for fuel filter change, and I recall reading that there is nothing different about their fuel filter location: it is in the gas tank, per North American vehicles. In other words, it's a major task, to get at, and not cheap. Not sure why Australia (only?) recommends fuel filter change: poor regulation of particulate in gas?? On the assumption that second gen Australian cars are similar, and that fuel filter change might be overkill:

I'd waive the the fuel filter change. Maybe it's needed, or maybe it's some regulations driving this maintenance requirement?? see how much they want for just the brake fluid change, and DIY the air filters.

With our 3rd gen, with my wife's help I did the brake fluid change in about an hour, using 2 pints of of Toyota DOT 3 brake fluid, and a few jury-rigged tools, nothing expensive or esoteric. This may or may not be possible for you, dealership or independent mechanic may be preferable. Assuming 2nd gen procedure is similar, I would think around $100 US would be reasonable.

Note with third gen, and presumably also with second: you do need to follow a specific procedure to avoid messing up the electronics. Either you use Techstream, or there is a chicken-dance procedure, to set the car in invalid mode. One of @NutzAboutBolts videos pinned in the third gen maintenance section covers this. I would be cautious using an independent mechanic, if they're not conversant with the intricacies of the Prius brake system, specifically second generation.

I'll attach a pdf from 3rd gen repair manual regarding brake fluid change, just to give a sense of what's involved. The document explains the procedure, including the order to do the brakes, in an extremely verbose and confounding manner. This is what it is:

IMG_7011.JPG

Attached Files:

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't bother with the fuel filter either. I'm not a big DIY guy but the in-cabin and engine air filters were 5 minute jobs or less for me to do myself. The filters were cheap at the local auto parts store and easy to change. Didn't even get my hands dirty.

That leaves you with the brake fluid. Unless the price comes down very drastically for performing only that service, I wouldn't change it yet.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The US 3rd gen schedule doesn't mention brake fluid change I think. Toyota Canada says 3 year or 48K km's (30K miles).

Honda's always said tri-yearly regardless of mileage.

6. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thanks guys, probably I will skip the fuel filter to save some money. I know it's unnecessary but I use 98 fuel so it should be pretty clean.

Will also do the air filter myself. So that leaves the brake fluid, appreciate the instructions, but don't you need to actuate the ABS module to get the remaining fluid out of there? In any event I will probably leave that to the dealer, depending on how much they want may also skip it.

They charge AU$20 to balance and rotate the tyres, I thought that's quite reasonable and will get it done.

srellim234 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Car is currently sitting at 87,000km, so I asked to skip to the 90,000km service instead, which is basically engine oil and filter change, quote is back down to AU$220 as expected.

The cost to replace brake fluid is AU$100, sounds reasonable?

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm, Aus and Can dollars are virtualy on par: yes that's reasonable. The supplies would likely amount to about 2 pint of Toyota DOT3 fluid, around $15~20, but you're paying for expertise, labour, their overhead/equipment, and specialized software.