1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

80-85mph highway mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RxGATOR, Oct 28, 2012.

1. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive consistently at 9 mph above the speed limit by the speedo. That's only 7 mph above in reality, so please drop the holier-than-though remarks.
    Part of this state have 70 mph speed limits. That's where I go "80". Ditto for parts of Arizona, where the speed limit is actually 75 (!), but I still choose to go 80 for better fuel economy.

Jin likes this.
  2. Jin

Jin Blizzard PRIUS 2010, Nav+ solar roof

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Codyroo clearly needs a forum to post his special lecture on driving as road boulder (and as the source of bumper to bumper accidents).

The road was clear for me to drive, there is no crowd due to Sandy's storm but then again there isn't a need for me to tell you that. People drive Prius for fun of it, we have our days were we like to speed and our days were we do hypermile, and Prius provide us both of that. If you disagree with it, then please re-read the post title, it was meant to ask people who drive in 80s about their mileage, you clearly are answering in the wrong post.

But perhaps you should start another post call driving in 40s on the highway for max mileage, drink coffee, talk on cell and comb your hair at the same time? Your question should also include who can drive 40s mph for 100-miles on highway with speed limit of 65 and with all the criteria above in the shortest amount of time for maximum mileage, I'll be the first to post a reply on it, I promise :LOL:

3. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Remember we like to be green? :censored: Gas hoggggg!

BTW I didn't have a car before this, so I not killing the environment just for buying a Prius.

4. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wait, diesel have fuel spill problems?? I worked for NHTSA before and I never heard of this problem except for the Gen 2 Prius bladder problem.

5. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually believe someone who is driving between 55-65 in the right lane (as I and most drivers who drive slow, including Codyroo do) are less of a detriment to the road than someone who's driving 75+ in any lane they choose.

The fact that you are going faster than even 50% of the freeway makes you much more likely to be the one who initiates an accident. Plus from what I've noticed, when driving 55 in the far right lane I've noticed it's MUCH easier for those attempting to merge onto the freeway find a spot either in front or behind me. I used to avoid the right lane like the plague because I used to drive 65-70 and constantly have to swerve around merging people. Now, they fit in nice and easy.

I want to be clear by not attempting to lecture you about the way you drive or how you drive. That's up to you. All I ask is that those who decide to drive way faster than the posted speed limit be respectful to those who decide to obey the law. Plus I think that "road boulder" reference is to those who drive slow in the furthest left lane... which again I think Codyroo is sensible enough to not do that (although I'll let him defend himself if he so chooses).

There's a reason why truckers are limited to 55mph, I believe. Yes they are taller, more susceptible to jacknifing, etc etc but also that speed maximizes MPG. Whether or not a bigrig is next to me if I see one hurtling down the freeway at 70+ mph I would be concerned.

I really doubt anyone will get away with driving 40 on the highway anywhere. If a cop sees you driving 40 I'm sure it's MORE likely to get you pulled over than going 75+ as anything less than 55 is a detriment to the road. Plus I believe even though this post is titled regarding 85+ MPG, I think a fair argument is someone who is concerned with MPG might want to hear how people who drive 55 mph fair as well. Plus like I mentioned above, I believe driving between 55-65 is actually a safer way to operate a vehicle in terms of handling, and merging.

Codyroo likes this.
  6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jin,

The whole point of my posts are to get you to look beyond your wants and desires and to see how your actions can impact others around you. I used to drive similarily to you (not as fast) and used many of your techniques. What I'm presenting to you advice that I have obtained over the years. I don't suspect you'll take it, but I can hope that I've planted a seed of wisdom that will grow to a full blown pearl.

Road boulders = people clogging up the passing lane.

I drive in the right most lane and only stray out when the freeway splits and I have to take the left split or when I use my fastrak on the San Mateo Bridge. You need never worry about me being in your way as you drive.

I liked your last avatar, by the way, was that a Sushi creation?

7. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's no "holier than thou" attitude being expressed. You didn't like my comment about the Prius not being the right car to drive fast in & made a smart little remark about how people shouldn't lecture you about what speed you drive, and I pointed out that there are plenty of people who are paid to pull you over & have a talk with you when you're going too fast.

What I've commented on is that the Prius is an economy car, and that's where it performs best. Yes, it is capable of driving higher speeds, but honestly why would you want to use it in that way? If you're a guy who wants a performance car, then buy something that's designed for that. It's like buying a dump truck to take your grandma to church when you could have bought a Lincoln. I just don't see the logic in using something primarily in a way that it wasn't designed. (And the reason I say that is because the Prius sucks in high-speed stability and response. If you think it doesn't, then you haven't driven many other vehicles. Didn't someone make a comment on how great a Prius 2 handles at triple-digit speeds? You gotta be kidding! The Prius is NOT a car that handles! haha!)

I never said a word about 80 being an unsafe speed in most instances, because I know the reality is that most traffic is moving at close to 75 anyway. Speed is only one factor in unsafe driving. Cellphone and idiots who cut across 3 lanes to make an exit that they suddenly noticed, or weaving in & out of traffic in a desperate attempt to get somewhere 2 minutes early... those are much bigger safety issues than speed alone.

Drive whatever speed you want. I really couldn't care less, unless it's unsafe. I'll continue to drive my Prius closer to the speed limit & enjoy even bigger fuel savings than you. On days that I want to go fast, I'll take my other car to the track and REALLY go fast! To me, that makes sense.

Codyroo likes this.
  8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In my mind, the Prius is a car with amazing fuel economy and minimal compromises. My only issue is saying that just because I like to drive 80, it's somehow the wrong (or inappropriate) car for me.
    No, it's not. It's still the most fuel-efficient sedan of its size and cargo capacity, and that's what matters to me.
    That's all.

Jin and WE0H like this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the pump operators that can't seem to not spill diesel on the ground in front of the pumps.

Mike

10. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm glad you drive mostly on right lane, that is the main point I want to make sure that blocking left lane can't force anyone slower except for making people who want to pass more agitated at you. I don't always drive on the left lane just so you know, I have my days where I'm just too tire to drive fast so I stay on the slow lane, but I hated when drivers comes up on the slow lane just because the left lane is block by "boulders" and their lights right up your bumper (I got clear bra for the bumper too now).

That avatar was a Phoenix and dragon sushi boats that I have at Mandarin oriental hotel, it was nice display but the food was too raw for me mostly raw snail stuff :sick: .

11. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same opinion!

12. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Selzier I guess you have never been on I70, I have seem boulder drivers causing bottle necking on purpose, they don't bother to move to right lane and drives at the same speed as the trucker on the right lane. I have seem this just too often, and nobody can do a thing except to either follow him or follow the trucker.

13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No evidence of that from National Highway Traffic Safety stats or Institute for Highway Safety run by the auto insurance companies. People going slow in middle and left lane of highways and not passing other cars going even slower are an inconvenience, not a safety hazard.

The accidents are caused by speeders driving over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic.

14. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should search on the most vehicle accidents, it is bumper to bumper accident, most drivers believe that if they drive slow or according to the speed limit, they can follow the car in front of them closely and not worry about a thing, and unfortunately that is the cause of majority of accident for car crashes. Search this up on insurances vehicle accidents, bumper to bumper is the most often and the speeds are not fast. Of course I'm not saying there isn't any accident for fast driving, there are, but not as much as you compared with bumper to bumper types.

Drives who actually drive fast (unless they are drunk) will know to keep a certain distance between them and the vehicle in front of them and do not follow daisy chain cars in the same lane where the accidents are most likely to happen.

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Amen to the road boulders being the bane of the highway. The worst, most obnoxious tailgaters that I have experienced are the ones that want to drive fast, but can't because the left most lanes are clogged with cars all travelling (roughly) the same speed. The right lane is actually less clogged than the left lanes, which is why they are flying up behind me. It is when they get to my bumper they realize that I'm not flying along too, and obviously need encouragement via flashing lights, tailgating, horn honking, middle fingering, etc. I've had more than one person pass me using the right shoulder. It pisses me off, because I'm the one person on the road doing the right thing (slower traffic using the right lane) yet I'm the one being punished by these impatient drivers. Why aren't they in the fast lane doing the same thing, at least they would have a point to defend. Sigh.

I'd be curious to see the decrease in multi car accidents if people followed 2 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds behind the person in front of them when on the highway. You need to be paying attention and the ability to anticipate another's action to avoid an accident (my god, how many "a's" can I cram in that sentence? LOL)

Following too close decreases the time needed to react to a bad situation. It also decreases your visibility to traffic patterns in front of you, which impairs your ability to anticipate situations.

Distraction sources (phone calls, texting), even if "hands free", occupy brain processing functions. The reaction times for distracted drivers are akin to the reaction times of alcohol impaired drivers.

Driving fast decreases the time needed to react to a bad situation and detracts from your attention to the situation in front of you. When you are constantly monitoring your mirrors for local law enforcement, scanning overpassess and underpasses for hidden law enforcement units, you are paying less attention to the drivers in front and on the side of you. While you may be 100% focussed on driving (which is good!) you need to process all this additional information, which is inefficient.

16. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The left lane is more correctly called the "passing lane", not the fast lane. The idea is to stay right unless you are overtaking a car, then move to the left to pass. Europeans do a FAR better job of driving than we do here in the U.S.. Over here, no one seems to comprehend that concept.

lensovet and Codyroo like this.
  17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Guys, we all have Prii. Prius provides harmony between man, machine and nature.

Can we also have harmony on the highway as different people have different driving styles?

Toyota4Ever and RxGATOR like this.
  18. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same experiences when I happen to drive on the slow lanes, so I whole heartily agree with you on those drivers coming up and passing you fingers like all prius drivers are slow @ss. :(

Driving fast may decreases the time you need to react but if you pay attention you are already gauging the distances you need for safe passage, when you do what I have done for years already, then it becomes a second nature when you drive. It may sound overwhelming for you to think that you need to pay that much attention to your surroundings and to the road while driving, but if practice some of basic steps, you will learn how to spot accidents that may happen to you or car ahead of you and learn how to avoid those spots.

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting. I wonder how many people in those accidents reported they were driving 55 as opposed to the actual speeds at the time of the accidents
    I would love to have the certainty that fast drivers are better equipped and more knowledgeable about keeping appropriate separation distances between them and the cars in front of them. My experience is that fast drivers also tend to be impatient, obnoxious tailgaters, at best, negligent and oblivious at worst. Drive to your heart's content at high speed when no one else is around, but slow down around other cars. If it is a granny driving slow, because that's how she goes, then let her be and move around her at an appropriate speed. If it is me, driving ONLY 4-5 mph above the speed limit, then pass me at 10 mph above and rocket on ahead when no one else is around. I'll be sad if you wrap your car and yourself around a telephone pole; I'll be mad if you sideswipe granny and knock her into the pole. Who can tell what the driver ahead of you is going to do next? Give him room and time, and then get on with your life. Don't try to get into my back seat just to insult me and then drive on like I've caused a problem.

20. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for the sake of argument: The speedster would actually be going 85 - 70 - 85 right? In which case it would be faster than a steady 60. And actually, the person could drive a steady 70 which is faster than a steady 60. But the most important part is that if you would be driving 80 - 25 - 80, that means there are some traffic issues which seem to preclude a person from driving 80 in the first place. I think that is also your position, which I agree with.

Mike