1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

81 MPG golf TDI! ***Pre VW cheat scandal***

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by Blizzard_Persona, Jul 9, 2015.

1. kanota

kanota Junior Member

Kelly Blue Book (KBB) is a website where people go to check the value of their car or a car they might be interested in buying. KBB has been keeping an eye on the auction prices of Volkswagen diesel vehicles that were affected by the emission scandal and has found that values on those vehicles have declined significantly.

According to KBB, Volkswagen diesel vehicles have seen auction prices decline by 16% since the emission scandal started. The row has also affected prices on VW gas vehicles as well, KBB figures show that auction values for gas VW vehicles have declined by 2.9%.

New car shopping activity for VW TDI models has declined by 2.4%. The most significant declines in VW model values are for the VW Golf SportWagen and Gold with decreases in shopping activity of 6.2% and 3.7% respectively. KBB also notes that the diesel row has Audi A3 shoppers looking at competing models.

The most commonly cross-shopped vehicles are the Lexus NX, BMW 2-Series, and the Mercedes CLA. KBB says that KBB traffic for VW diesel models has generally decreased after a slight increase due to bad publicity. VW still hasn’t said how it plans to fix the vehicles that are affected by the emission cheating

2. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not as many people want to risk lots of money on an unknown, with possible large losses. I can easily see why the decline in KBB prices.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe he just didn't notice that James Bond oil slick it was throwing out

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    News was slow last night so I Googled a place I avoid because it so often disappoints and noticed this:

"What I am concerned about going forward is having two 48-State Lowest Fuel Consumption Guinness World Records stripped because of this."

VW 'Clean' also meant bragging rights.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have an answer: Volkswagen's Guinness World Records Are Under Investigation » AutoGuide.com News

. . . self-professed hypermiler Wayne Gerdes, who released a statement following news from the EPA of VW’s cheating ways. “I am disappointed with the VW managers that authorized the tampering code inclusion for US-based TDIs,” reads a release on his site CleanMPG.

Despite the situation, Gerdes, does not dismiss diesel technology bur rather says that, “The power, torque, and efficiency of diesel still holds just as true today as it did yesterday.”

“As soon as the EPA emissions Certificates of Compliance are released on the 2016 VW TDIs, you can bet I will be back behind the wheel of one of those fantastic automobiles to once again prove they are some of the most efficient cars on the road to own and drive.”

Gerdes said he reached out to the Guinness World Records immediately following the troubling news, telling AutoGuide.com that he’d rather have a clean record, than a world record.

“I am not one who would stand on a tainted record. While I spent well over a thousand hours in prep and driving time to earn both VW TDI 48-State Lowest Fuel Consumption records, if they were not ‘cleanly’ earned, I do not deserve them,” he said. “I am sure VW feels the same.”

Good on Wayne.

I joined Guinness (account is free) and their search function only lists an Audi 1.6L diesel mileage record. Apparently the previous VW TDI records have disappeared. Only the articles written before Sept 18 citing the record remain. The problem of outdated articles remains.

Bob Wilson

6. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wayne doesn't get to make the rules. anyway, vdub drivers with their eyes open know the real score.

8. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In case I was unclear, here's what Guinness said in October.

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    They ARE illegal now AND they were illegal then! C'mon, people, if my car didn't pass emissions I do not get to drive it legally. Sure I can still drive it since the car is not impounded or anything..no tags, no insurance, etc. but it sure as hell is illegal. Why do we allow the law-breakers these types of passes? enforcement of rules is just as important as setting the rules up in the 1st place! Damn. rant over. My fix for this (VW diesel gate)? crush 'em like GM did. Send the owners the Full retail value. GET THOSE ILLEGAL VEHICLES OFF MY ROADS. I love that irony. Perfectly good tailpipe emission-free vehicles are taken off the road...PERMANENTLY (EV1). Cheating diesels? Meh, you go ahead and keep driving...It's maddening. sorry, i guess my rant wasn't over.

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Here ya go Bob,

Title of my thread edited to reflect current sad state of affairs...

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which court has said that it is illegal to drive on public roads? I do not know of anybody who has been pulled over yet or had their car impounded for it being illegal.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is illegal to modify or circumvent the emission controls of a car. Otherwise, VW wouldn't be in the trouble they are in. If it had been done by the individual owner, they too could be facing some stiff fines, but mostly they just get a failed emission inspection in the states that have them. There is a grace period for a repair then, but after that, they will be fined for driving a car that hasn't passed the inspection.

Guiness' stance, and possibly the legal one, is that the car owners didn't break the law, and were unaware of any wrong doing on VW's part. Since they weren't ordered to park their cars when VW was ordered to stop sales, then they are still legally able to drive them. It can get messy for inspections depending on what the individual states do.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had no luck finding the records January 14th when I used the Guinness site search function. Can you find a URL for the records on the Guinness site?

This is what I just got 5 minutes ago:
    [​IMG]

The "Longest fuel range (Standard)" was not the records in question. Understand, I think Wayne's earlier request was the right thing. I would not care if the records remained with an asterisk about the cheat-diesel, VW software.

I don't think they 'retire' records for age: 1966: Fastest Jet-powered Train | Guinness World Records

Bob Wilson

#33 bwilson4web, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!

I see two comments already so it has a functional asterisk:

[​IMG]
    Jimmy Forrest
    ·
    And poised the planet while doing so.....via the "VW emissons defeat device scandal". Lets try again with a legal ECU patch. Just my opinion...I feel this should be revisited
    Like · Reply · [​IMG]1 · Jan 9, 2016 7:08pm

[​IMG]
    Gerald Rowley
    ·
    University of Miami
    What would it do with a legal ecu? Just think how much NoX they spewed out along the way!
    Like · Reply · Jan 11, 2016 4:58am

I have no doubt that VW or a VW dealer helped support this effort so I'm patient. But the Guinness search function . . . reminds me of the "Handbook" in the movie "Beatlejuice". Guinness wins the most obscura search function award, "You can't get there from here unless you know the way."

Good enough,
    Bob Wilson

#35 bwilson4web, Jan 15, 2016
  15. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'll admit that I have not been really following the VW thread so I'm kinda clueless... but did the cheat help mpg get higher than deserved numbers or was it simply an emissions cheat?

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least two benchmarks found the MPG numbers were off. Not by much but enough to reverse the "Portland-to-Portland" stunt by GreenHuman. One was a USA test that simply did a 4-wheel dyno test and the second a BBC test where they just ran the same test a second time without turning off the car.

My foggy memory says something like 48 MPG -> 44 MPG, roughly 10%. I'll see if I can find the specific references.

Bob Wilson

#37 bwilson4web, Jan 15, 2016
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it may never get to the court system, since the epa has all the necessary authority. if guiness is happy with their blinders, that's their right. when people start seeing you don't use facts for your records, they start losing interest in your records. the beer is still good though.;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Understood.

Thank you.

19. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the model. First generation cars (2009-2014 Jetta and Golf) had the most to gain by cheating. Second gen (2011-2014 Passat) and third gen (2015+ Jetta, Golf, and Passat) use urea aftertreatment for the exhaust, so there is less benefit to the cheat in terms of MPG, if any at all. For the record setting Golf in particular, it was a third gen car and I am confident that it would still be able to set the record once it has a legal software tune.