1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$875 Auction Prius - Drove it home!!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by hyp3rmil3r, Dec 6, 2019.

1. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    IMG_6981.jpg

This thing is killer with MPGs. About to crest 224,000 miles.

Aaron Vitolins and mikey_t like this.
  2. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    First fill up with 2 bars of gas left. Car was purchased with a full tank, and driven 319 miles. Car took 6.4 gallons of gas to fill to full.

Calculated MPG: 49.85

Not bad at all! Can’t wait to get new tires, and alignment, and run higher tire pressure. The current tires are shot and keep going low on pressure.

iPhone ?

mikey_t and vvillovv like this.
  3. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Brief update: Smell in the car is not back, but starting to smell the chemicals from the odor bomb again pretty strongly. I'll ozone it once more. Traveling for a week for the holiday, and when I return it's time for oil change and heavily considering rug doctor rental to superclean the seats/carpets. Then another once over with vacuum. Tires/alignment are a must. Car is holding up great, daily'd it 240 miles this week to/from work.

Things I've noticed: It hates the cold, so I can see why some people install block heaters. I would consider it, but they seem pricey and difficult to install, plus I don't have easy access to an outdoor outlet (street parking). When the battery bars are green, it drives amazingly on electric mode, compared to when they're blue and you have to be much more conservative. I can see why the plug-in or prius "primes" are a huge win. Does anyone know if retro-fitting fog lamps is easy? Additionally, I'll probably grill block if I can find a way to do it discreetly. E-mode button intrigues me, but I don't want to strain an old Ni-MH battery. I can easily do the pedal flick to get it into E-mode myself anyhow.

Any other ideas for fun mods or must-haves in this car?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2nd gen inverter radiator is on the bottom. Accordingly, I would only grill block up to 50% on bottom. You could grill block 100 % on top, especially if temps are steadily below freezing.

I just did a block heater install: dealership put it in 9 years ago, when the car was new, and it finally fritzed, the cord shorted right at the block heater. It is NOT a lot of fun, for sure, on third gen, and I'm guess 2nd gen is similar. The confounding issue on our 3rd gen was getting all the #*##*@! cables and bracket sufficiently shoved out of the way to get the damn thing in. If you do decide to DIY, I would recommend to put the heat-transfer lube on as late as possible, even get it started going in, then pull it back and apply the lube. You don't want to be wrestling with that thing in confined space with the lube rubbing off on everything.

I did it mostly from below, unbolted a bracket from above, and pulled stuff out of the way as best I could. Then fought some more from below. It helps to be a contortionist and a masochist. Don't expect to be able to have your arms in there AND see what you're doing, you can't have everything. :rolleyes:

The block heater part is $90 CDN up here. Installed it's around $300~350? It might be hard to find in the States. I'm not sure why: I think folks in Fargo, North Dakota could use it a lot more than us in Hollywood North.

The Toyota fog lights are useless, fwiw. If you want them for looks go for it, but don't expect them to be any sort of help illuminating. Yes we have them, the OEM's, on our 3rd gen.

5. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @Mendel Leisk appreciate the information! I'll probably avoid the block heater; I'm DIY'ing all of these modifications in attempt to save how much I'm spending on it; it is a cheap auction car after all. I like the look of the fogs for sure, even if they are useless. If I can find some super cheap off a crashed car I'll pull trigger; right now I'm missing the main piece of the lower grille anyhow. I'll keep in mind the grille block information, it is usually below freezing here most of the winter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another place to "grill" block is between the hood and fenders, you can just see on right side of this pic:

IMG_1654.JPG

7. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @Mendel Leisk thanks for the pic! I definitely want it to be discrete, and hidden. I can appreciate a well done hidden job versus wooden blocks just screwed into the bumper like I have also seen lol!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG] (photo is a link)

hyp3rmil3r likes this.
  9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @hyp3rmil3r, one thing I would like to point out from reading your previous comments about driving the Prius and such. Do not worry about the green bars or blue bars on the battery. That is not an indicator of how much power there is in the battery. It is an indicator of how much charge there is and is kind of irrelevant to how the car drives. I would say don't think about this car as electric, but rather think about the battery as a place to temporarily store waste energy of the ICE (and braking) so that it can be used later in the short term. This is why this car is not as efficient in the winter. There is less waste energy (heat) in the winter as you are using it to keep the engine and yourself warm. So don't think too much about the video game in the MFD and just drive the car normally. You will average in mid-40's year round. Winter being low 40's and summer low 50's. The car's software will do all the thinking for you and you do not need to do anything special as far as driving it. Do not install the EV button on this car. It is a mistake. This car is not designed to run on pure electric power the way it is. It can be modded to be a PHEV, which has been done, but many of those folks have since realized that it is just not worth the effort and $$ to do so. Just drive it and enjoy it. It will give you great fuel economy (provided everything is in order with it) as is without any special effort. That is the way it was designed and trying to hyper-mile will only annoy the drivers behind you and further the stereotype of a "Prius Driver". The gains to be had in the best case scenario are 5% improvement over just driving the thing normally. Do keep your tire pressure around 40psi, that helps and causes no grief to the fellow drivers around you. That's pretty much all I can say about driving a Prius. I am also a first time hybrid owner (2007 Prius bought in 2017) and have gone through all the stages of the paradigm shift and now I am back to driving normally as I need to according to the traffic situations vs. video game in the MFD. It is much safer, gives me very good economy anyway and I do not endanger or anger anyone around me.

Best of luck and enjoy!

ydpplqbd and hyp3rmil3r like this.
  10. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @VFerdman nice write up!
    I can only add that you should also not slam on gas, slam on brake like a normal driver. Take it easy bro! lol

As for the engine block heater.... Gen3 install. would NEVER do it again, and would not wish that on my worse enemy.
    My "c" version has a Gen2 engine in it, and I could do it with my eyes closed in 5 -10 minutes.
    But seeing before and after, ehh not sure if it is totally necessary but I would still like to have it.
    I use with my amazon/alexa plug so I can turn on/off from my phone etc.

For rad blocking I use the old tried and true pipe insulation for the Gen3 and "c".
    I am not sure what the grill looks like for Gen2 so not sure if can use that.
    After few years of using the same ones, I had to use 2 zipties to keep the bottom in place this year on Gen3
    My "c" as shown in photo is showing signs of age, but still stays put w/o ziptie
    Yeah had to even notice it is there
    quickest and most easy way for blocking!
    grill.jpg

hyp3rmil3r and VFerdman like this.
  11. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, well, it's a Prius, not a Tesla. Slamming the gas will not produce much joy :) Having said that, I do occasionally slam the gas if I need to. My gen 2 Prius is not a total dog, it will accelerate when asked to. Just has its limits and I know full well where those limits are because I have explored them. I have driven over a 100 MPH (105 indicated on my speedo) on the highway just to see if it's possible. Not only is it possible, but the car feels sure footed and secure at those speeds and the handling is not scary at all. Good to know, though I do not do this day to day. Also getting from 75 MPH to just above 100 MPH was not all that difficult or did it take too long. This car is a fully fledged highway going vessel and I do not hesitate to pass in it. My fuel economy didn't even suffer all that much from that experiment. No, I didn't continuously drive over a 100, I just did it for a short duration (maybe 10-15 miles), but I often travel on the highway and keep my cruise control at 73(ish) and my economy is okay.

As for brakes, they are really good! You can slam them if needed and not think about it. Again, not on the daily, but if need arises, they are definitely very serviceable brakes.

All in all Gen 2 Prius is a very good all around car that is capable of more than what's allowed and legal out there and provides great fuel economy doing it. If I need to loose a tailgater, I can and getting onto the highways from the on-ramps is no problem. I nail that throttle as needed to properly merge and it's all good.

dig4dirt and hyp3rmil3r like this.
  12. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks guys for chiming in, I’m pretty much always in the slow lane anyhow and in traffic so not holding anybody up. I bought this car 50% because it was cheap and 50% because my other car get easily half the MPGs. You’re right that there’s no sense in hypermiling and frustrating everyone in the process for a negligible gain. Even still I notice people flying past me angrily just from being in a prius, despite driving over the speed limit in the slow lane haha.

iPhone ?

dig4dirt and VFerdman like this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since when is that a normal driver? :)

I did have a classmate who drove as if the go pedal had only two positions. Averaged out, she'd be doing the same speed as everybody else, and I don't think she ever even noticed the inertial forces because she was the one causing them so they weren't surprising. But being a passenger in her car was just constantly being jerked forward and back in the seat....

dig4dirt and hyp3rmil3r like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It is ridiculously difficult to make enough space in that morass of conduits, to get the block heater in.

It's largely due to don't-give-a-shyte engineering, by the same folks who made so to get your spark plugs out you need remove the wiipers, windshield trim, wiper motor/linkage and the metal cowl under.

dig4dirt likes this.
  15. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The spark plugs thing drives me crazy. I’d have done them by now if they were more accessible. Not that it’s dreadful to do it, but at this point the car works so it’s not worth tearing the extra crap off to check them.

Same thinking goes for the battery cooling vent. An open pipe with negative pressure in a car is going to hoard dust like crazy, and sure enough it does. I’m sure theres a better solution, but oh well.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I neglected to note, the disassembly for spark plug access is on 3rd gen: 2nd gen maybe you don't need to do all that??

dig4dirt likes this.
  17. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Didn't need to take wiper assm off for my 2006, but will for my 2010. I like your clean engine compartment. You could eat off it.

VFerdman, hyp3rmil3r and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was referring to every other driver out there. :ROFLMAO:
    I cannot be a passenger in a vehicle either. :confused:

Full brake on, or full gas on is what I see, hear and witness.
    But my quote was trying to be funny, not actually bashing or pointing at @VFerdman or anyone else.

VFerdman likes this.
  19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Spark plugs on Gen 2 are simple. No need to remove the wipers and the cowl, but it is easier if those items are removed. It takes literally less than 5 minutes to remove them, however, so I do not see it as a big deal. There are things in these cars where removing certain parts makes things easier and to uninitiated it sounds like PIA, but in reality is literally a few more minutes with a screw driver or a wrench. Some cars I have worked on do not have such luxuries and getting certain things done is a REAL nightmare. BTW, changing the light bulbs in the headlights is much easier with the headlight assembly removed. People shriek in horror, but it takes about 3 minutes to remove a headlight on a gen 2 Prius. That includes dropping the bumper cover. Sometimes words make deeds sound horrible, but in deed, those deeds are simple and have been designed for (thank you, Toyota engineers).

Merkey, hyp3rmil3r and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sounds better than my old 335i, doing the headlight bulbs on that required taking the front wheels off and tearing out the fender liner (after removing about 10 bolts holding in each liner) just to get access to a door with more bolts that then gets you to the headlights!

iPhone ?