1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

88.9 MPG commute

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriUsr, Apr 18, 2012.

1. PriUsr

PriUsr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did a 88.9 MPG commute today, but nobody believes me - couldn't find my phone to take a picture.
    Is there some way I can get back the summary screen that appears when one turns the car off?

2. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Man, I am glad I am not the only one taking pictures with my phone. My wife thinks I am obsessed. I just got 99.9 mpg going to the market 1.4 miles away. Not a long distance until you consider that I have a wife the 3 daughters, which means I got to the market almost every night.

3. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How far of a commute do you have? What type of driving? When I fill up my Prius at the Shell station 7 miles away I can be between 80-100 mpg for the first 5.5 miles until I head up the hill to my house. The best I've done after the hill is 69.7 mpg. My goal is to break 70 if I can! :D

4. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Guys, superchargedMR2 is asking the right questions. While it is great that you get high mpg, IMO it's kind of meaningless without putting that mpg into perspective. I live in some foothills and get great mileage on the trip down, but give that back up on the return trip home. Heck, we can all get 99.9 going downhill. :D

There is one fairly flat stretch of road nearby that has a 35 - 40 speed limit. I can usually get high 70's on a 5 mile circuit. Years ago I used this road to nurse 716 miles on a single tank, averaging 63.3 mpg. Of course that was a Gen II, but I am waiting to try this out with my Gen III (hopefully soon).:)

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nope.

You will just have to repeat the result :D

That is an awesome result if 1, it was a round trip; and 2, the battery SOC is not lower at the end than the beginning of the trip.

I hit 80 MPG *once* in my G2 Prius with the above qualifiers, but I had to start with a warmed up ICE.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with AzGeek. :)

My commute this morning at 50deg was 47.8mpg over 48miles. The trip home at 70deg was 67.5mpg over 48miles........

I did take a picture of the display after I got home today. *insert cheesy grin*

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this was on the Trip A or B mpg display, it will still be there when you turn the car back on. But turn it on only in accessory mode (i.e. don't press the brake), otherwise the engine will start within about ten seconds and quickly wreck the reading.

I've had a number on round trip commutes (i.e. two warmup cycles and zero net elevation change, despite several thousand feet of total climb) in the low to mid 70s. But none happened this early in the year, when weather is still cold. Have patience, and keep practicing so that your skills are ready when the favorable weather and traffic conditions appear.

8. Ferls80

Ferls80 Performing some hypermiling techniques.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhhh yes man! You can! :)

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pics or it didn't happen.... :p

Attached Files:

10. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've never seen a screen like that on my 2010. Is it new for the 12 or is it hidden on my 10?

11. theprius

theprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

I don't think the 2010 model has this BUT I would like to know if we can do a software update on these!?!?

12. PriUsr

PriUsr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The trip was about 44.5 miles total: 37 hwy; 6 slower speed hwy; 1.5 traversing a city grid.
    I think it might have been the warmest day we’ve had here for the year (80F). I left my destination a little after mid-day; for the 37 hwy miles the traffic wasn’t slow moving, my speed ranged btw 60-75 (trying to keep up with the flow), I was in power mode and also trailing other cars; I moved to eco when I got closer to the city and limited my speed to no more than 60; I actually hadn’t been getting EV to engage since I got the car, so I gave it a try towards the end of the trip and it was best EV run I had – did a few block and turned it off when I needed avoid impatient drivers.
    I didn’t set out with the intent of getting good MPG; I just wanted to get from point A to B, that’s why I was so surprised by the summary screen. However, I was following the driving advice posted here in the forum.
    I was playing around with the EV mode, so my SOC was def less than when I started. Whatever road incline there was during the route, I would say there was an approx. equal distance of decent – so let’s call it fairly flat.
    The first person I told didn’t believe me, so I thought that there might be some way to get/download past summaries and prove it.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is new for the 2012 I believe. It comes on when you turn off the car. It is in the same location as the MID on the dash. Unfortunately it only stays on for less than a minute and cannot be recalled that I know of. So you have to be ready with a camera before turning the car off.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After seeing a 2012 today, I now see that OP is talking about a different display, not available on my older car.

But one way commutes don't count as much as round trips, due to elevation changes. An example one-way reading with a bit of elevation change is shown in my photo album: 91.3 mpg on a 100.1 mile segment.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Show off. :p

16. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had a 300+ mile trip from NYC to DC where I got 64 mpg. My average speed was 57 mph. I got lucky with light traffic, good weather, and mostly stayed in the right lane. The trick to getting 60+ at these speeds is to not accelerate into a hill. If I was doing 60 on level ground, I would slow to 55 going uphill, then speed up to 65 on the downside...IOW pulse and glide.

No pics though...so I guess it didn't happen.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, you're describing Driving With Load, where you maintain a consistent load on the engine (and in particularly avoid heavy engine loads) and allow the speed to vary with terrain.

:D

18. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Loading is Good and so is Efficiency.

A Screen capture from Priidash. I have not seen such a high MPG in a while especially after my afternoon commute. Not much elevation change but I may have to ask to add a GPS elevation display

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/49305/2481988720070670239S500x500Q85.jpg

If you end up adding a Priidash sceen to you car please be carefull of all the eye-candy!!!

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's new for 2012. It's basically a trip summary (a fully fleshed out version of the 1G Camry Hybrid's "Excellent" remark on the MID if you beat 6.7L/100km/35mpg for that trip).

Oh and 70mpg on a trip is possible even at higher speeds if you use SHM techniques.

20. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WOOAH. I just went on my first 2 hour trip (110miles) with my Prius and I was driving an avg 75mph but at the end of the trip, my trip display showed 52.x-ish mpg. I hope to one day see my trip display show a distance of longer than 50 miles with my consumption being in the 60s-70s mpg!! I can only manage 60ish mpg on my 11 mile daily commute driving at around 55-60mph.

Jealous :) :D