1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

88 mile commute to work

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GaryD1, Aug 24, 2016.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always wondered about this, since there is at least one person in this forum that intentionally runs his Prius out of gas for fuel efficiency purposes. Like....multiple times.

I don't want to go completely off topic here, but this is probably not a concern for the G4, since there's enough Prius DNA in the car to prevent it. My car (a lowly G3) has a fuel capacity in excess of 12.5 gallons.
    I never buy fuel until DTE = 0 and most of the time I never pump more than 10 gallons.
    Theory: Either Priuses are so fuel efficient that they actually manufacture fuel or the lower 20-percent of my fuel tank is not measured accurately by the fuel gauge, and thus I would have to travel more than 100 miles past DTE=0 before I actually run out of gas.

Actually?
    I'm thinking that you have to draw fuel from the bottom of the tank anyway, otherwise what's the point of carrying around the extra fuel?
    I'm guessing therefore that it would be the nasty stuff at the top of the tank that would cause you trouble....or perhaps the nasty mechanic that wanted to make a boat payment.
    Sometimes automotive theoreticians also specuguess that fuel pumps require gallons of liquid for cooling - which I personally believe not to necessarily be the case since the pump would be required to be in the very bottom of the tank.....where the "sludge and undesirable contaminants hang out"

Here's the thing.
    If you're a hypercommutter, and you buy a car that rigorously measures fuel efficiency, then you should be just as familiar with fuel capacity.
    Otherwise?
    You don't know juuuuust how far you CAN go if you have to....like if your usual gas station is closed and it's oh-dark-thirty and you have to make an informed decision about whether to stop in an undesirable location or press on to a more favorable location.
    Or?
    How long you can power your house with a Prius when the power has been off for 7 days.....

I'm completely down with the concept that you should get fuel whenever the little light tells you to....or when you reach a half tank....or whenever they have fresh sticky buns for half off at the 7-11.
    Your car...
    Your call.

However (comma!) If I have a 12.92 gallon tank, and my car gets 50-MPG, AND i have the ability to quasi-accurately measure fuel efficiency on the fly, then I need a definitive answer for why I don't have a theoretical 600-mile operating range with a nearly 10% reserve.
    If there's some kind of wierd defect in the design of my car that prevents me from using 20-percent of my fuel load?
    That just doesn't sound........efficient. ;)

That's just how I roll.

Good Luck!!!
    Drive safely!!

sjr14221, RCO, fuzzy1 and 3 others like this.
  2. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    its cheaper to keep her

RCO likes this.
  3. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The fuel acts as a lubricant in the fuel pump, so if you run out of gas can cause the pump to fail. Generally speaking you want to be on your way to a gas station should the light come on. More than likely if you wind up running out of gas you'll probably be climbing a hill where the car will consume most gas.

As far as debris in the tank. I'd think that you don't run the tank low you would more than likely end up with more overall crap settling in the tank versus the person who runs their tank low. Either way this is what the fuel filter should be catching anyway.

RCO, fuzzy1 and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    showing 65.1 mpg on todays 88 mile commute. 759 miles on car now, may be getting broke in.

5. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Damn bro your wife has one hell of a drive to and back from work . She's got the perfect vehicle

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2nd fill up, 620 miles, held 10.0 gal at first click= 62 mpg. Car read out showing 63.5 Mpg, not too far off.
    Still had one bar left, read I could go 92 more miles so car still had approx 1.3-1.5 gal left in tank with one bar showing.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  7. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can get 60 plus MPG out of my 2014 Prius if I drive light footed

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well look at this, fill up for 4th time, same pump as before, same pump speed, slow. Wife had been 681 miles, held 10.2 gal= 66.71 mpg. The reading was showing 66.5 mpg, right on it, but may suffer next fill up.

I ran it down to 20 miles to go, seen my little orange gas tank light come on for first time. I was wanting to see the on screen warning but never got that, don't know if the Eco has that feature or not??

RCO likes this.