1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

9/11 Images

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 11, 2007.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    it's not like people don't remember, and didn't think about it during the day. And FWIW, I still saw images yesterday. Not as much as in past years, true, but it was more inline with the images I normally see for things like Pearl Harbor.

From my point of view, the images weren't thrown in our faces over and over again, as you seem to want. they were done tastefully, just like other footage. If you want to sit there all day viewing a bloodbath, be my guest. I'm sure you can find tapes of the day somewhere.

Me, I'd rather raise a toast to those killed and rededicate my commitment to helping others.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    it's not like people don't remember, and didn't think about it during the day. And FWIW, I still saw images yesterday. Not as much as in past years, true, but it was more inline with the images I normally see for things like Pearl Harbor.

From my point of view, the images weren't thrown in our faces over and over again, as you seem to want. they were done tastefully, just like other footage. If you want to sit there all day viewing a bloodbath, be my guest. I'm sure you can find tapes of the day somewhere.

Me, I'd rather raise a toast to those killed and rededicate my commitment to helping others.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 12 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]511195[/snapback]</div>
    True. The fact that they were murdered by those who declared war on us last decade and have attacked us several times on our home soil makes showing those images all that more important lest we forget that we are in a war with people who are determined to kill us. That is why showing those images of those planes is that much more important.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]511222[/snapback]</div>
    that is not an act of war? are those targets human or can they be instruments of war or instruments that could harm or kill?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]511225[/snapback]</div>
    please keep to one stream of thought - you are making my brain hurt.

you could also answer the questions I posed to the good doctor....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 12 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]511244[/snapback]</div>
    are you also committed to preventing that from happening again?

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 12 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]511195[/snapback]</div>
    True. The fact that they were murdered by those who declared war on us last decade and have attacked us several times on our home soil makes showing those images all that more important lest we forget that we are in a war with people who are determined to kill us. That is why showing those images of those planes is that much more important.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]511222[/snapback]</div>
    that is not an act of war? are those targets human or can they be instruments of war or instruments that could harm or kill?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]511225[/snapback]</div>
    please keep to one stream of thought - you are making my brain hurt.

you could also answer the questions I posed to the good doctor....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 12 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]511244[/snapback]</div>
    are you also committed to preventing that from happening again?

5. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "That is why showing those images of those planes is that much more important."
    I agree it is important. But still important, even if you believe it is far less important, is to "remind" us of the cost of war. Neither image discussed is pleasant, and the use of both should have much care and tact. Peppering either image everywhere is distasteful.

"He said he'd strike specific AQ targets within Pakistan's borders"
    "that is not an act of war? are those targets human or can they be instruments of war or instruments that could harm or kill?"

No, it is not an act of war. It's a slap to Mushy's image/supremecy, but it would not invoke full on war with Pakistan. We buy too many of their goods and provide them aid.

BTW, I view Obama's statements as grandstanding and somewhat empty as a threat. The hope is to motivate more action on the part of Pakistan so we don't have to. You make it sound like only democrat's do this. We use the same tactic with Iran, justifiably so (but not warranting invasion).

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "That is why showing those images of those planes is that much more important."
    I agree it is important. But still important, even if you believe it is far less important, is to "remind" us of the cost of war. Neither image discussed is pleasant, and the use of both should have much care and tact. Peppering either image everywhere is distasteful.

"He said he'd strike specific AQ targets within Pakistan's borders"
    "that is not an act of war? are those targets human or can they be instruments of war or instruments that could harm or kill?"

No, it is not an act of war. It's a slap to Mushy's image/supremecy, but it would not invoke full on war with Pakistan. We buy too many of their goods and provide them aid.

BTW, I view Obama's statements as grandstanding and somewhat empty as a threat. The hope is to motivate more action on the part of Pakistan so we don't have to. You make it sound like only democrat's do this. We use the same tactic with Iran, justifiably so (but not warranting invasion).

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]511271[/snapback]</div>
    Do you support our use of force to attack targets of importance to us located in sovereign countries? Again, do you refer to human targets and or their instruments of death and destruction?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]511271[/snapback]</div>
    Do you support our use of force to attack targets of importance to us located in sovereign countries? Again, do you refer to human targets and or their instruments of death and destruction?

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Do you support our use of force to attack targets of importance to us located in sovereign countries? Again, do you refer to human targets and or their instruments of death and destruction?"

Do you? That's what you've proposed for Iran.
    I don't answer unanswerable questions that paint complicated diplomatic gray areas as either or questions, and I wouldn't expect you to either.

What are the specific circumstances? What is the potential benefit to be gained vs. what is the possible collateral damage? What is the possible internation response? Come on David, stop using useless black or white posturing, you're smarter than that.

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Do you support our use of force to attack targets of importance to us located in sovereign countries? Again, do you refer to human targets and or their instruments of death and destruction?"

Do you? That's what you've proposed for Iran.
    I don't answer unanswerable questions that paint complicated diplomatic gray areas as either or questions, and I wouldn't expect you to either.

What are the specific circumstances? What is the potential benefit to be gained vs. what is the possible collateral damage? What is the possible internation response? Come on David, stop using useless black or white posturing, you're smarter than that.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]511288[/snapback]</div>
    try being honest here:

answer the questions. if US intelligence agencies told you/President Obama there were targets of important in a foreign sovereign country would you act on that intelligence or support the President acting on it?

and does it make a difference to YOU if the target is human and or a non-human target like a weapon of theirs?

there is NO gray here - Obama said he would act - would you and or support the US President who chose to act?

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]511288[/snapback]</div>
    try being honest here:

answer the questions. if US intelligence agencies told you/President Obama there were targets of important in a foreign sovereign country would you act on that intelligence or support the President acting on it?

and does it make a difference to YOU if the target is human and or a non-human target like a weapon of theirs?

there is NO gray here - Obama said he would act - would you and or support the US President who chose to act?

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]511304[/snapback]</div>
    1)There IS gray area. That intelligence would be used as a motivator to get the foreign country to act on their own intitially, or in coordination with the US. This is not a matter of having only one option.
    2)Yes, absolutely, hell yes if they are of significant imminent importance then I'd support the act.

Not if it's of significant imminent importance.

Again, despite your protestations otherwise, there is gray area. The importance of the target, the urgency of action (mobile vs non-mobile target), the stance of the country within who's borders we'd be acting, the certainty of the intelligence, etc.

You love to see this thing as black and white David, but it just isn't that simple. It's unfortunate you can't seem to understand that.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]511304[/snapback]</div>
    1)There IS gray area. That intelligence would be used as a motivator to get the foreign country to act on their own intitially, or in coordination with the US. This is not a matter of having only one option.
    2)Yes, absolutely, hell yes if they are of significant imminent importance then I'd support the act.

Not if it's of significant imminent importance.

Again, despite your protestations otherwise, there is gray area. The importance of the target, the urgency of action (mobile vs non-mobile target), the stance of the country within who's borders we'd be acting, the certainty of the intelligence, etc.

You love to see this thing as black and white David, but it just isn't that simple. It's unfortunate you can't seem to understand that.

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, you misread my point and try to redirect to a black and white hypothetical.

What is the target? What's nearby? Who would react both in support and in retaliation? Who provided the intel and how is their credibility? And most important, what would Dr. B. do?

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, you misread my point and try to redirect to a black and white hypothetical.

What is the target? What's nearby? Who would react both in support and in retaliation? Who provided the intel and how is their credibility? And most important, what would Dr. B. do?

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]511314[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, you like to create a Pollyanna world and set things up to suit your own opinons.

forgettabout it.

have a nice week

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]511314[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, you like to create a Pollyanna world and set things up to suit your own opinons.

forgettabout it.

have a nice week

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HA, ha, oh that's rich.
    Discussion of military attacks and complexity and Pollyanna thinking is an oxymoron.

20. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HA, ha, oh that's rich.
    Discussion of military attacks and complexity and Pollyanna thinking is an oxymoron.