1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

9.4 volt battery with failed jump start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by P08A80, Dec 24, 2020.

1. P08A80

P08A80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Car wouldn't turn on on a snowy night. I tried to jump start it and the car turned on and off a few times on its own while the brake pedal sprung back. Something didn't feel right so I shut off the car immediately. I decided to come back in the morning to try again. When I got in the car, I noticed the car had power due to a light on the dash with no key in. So I powered on the car to find the red triangle and check engine light on.

I checked the 12v battery using the info and headlight trick, and it shows 9.4v. This could explain the red triangle and check engine light.

My question is can I use my portable jump starter to jump the battery to 12v? Perhaps the first jump had some kind of problem due to the cold or snow. What kind of potential problems am I looking at? Thanks.

2. P08A80

P08A80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jumped the low battery and it fixed the problem.

Happy Holidays. Santa is real.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    HIGHLY likely that it did NOT "fix" the actual problem........but just bypassed it for a short period.
    You need to find out why it was that low in the first place.
    A total discharge like that is hard on a battery, regardless of what actually caused it, so you might need a new battery too.
    And the main connections and charging voltage should be checked too.

kenoarto likes this.