1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

90 days - 10,000 miles - 51.37mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daronspicher, May 17, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

May 16 was my 90th day with my Prius, we picked it up on 2/15.

On day 90, I turned 10,000 miles, did the second oil change and rotate the tires right here in my garage. All in less time than it would take for me to get myself checked in at the dealer service center.

The one odd thing I noticed when I was rotating the tires.

The rear of the car seems well balanced, but the front passenger side seemed a LOT heavier than the driver side. Has anyone else had the opportunity to jack the car up on both sides and noticed how much more it takes to get that passenger side front off the pavement than the driver side?

http://d.spicher.home.comcast.net/prius/LifetimeStats.html

2. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I take it you never jacked up a front wheel drive car before. The front is a lot heavier in front wheel drive cars. 10k in 90 days is a lot!!!!! :eek:

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do the same game with the old MPG from my Sport Trac. The difference between 14mpg and 45+ mpg is very dramatic. You have the benefit of doing your own service. I really do not have the desire to do this and the dealer is so close to the mall that it becomes a fun outing for me....

4. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 17 2006, 05:51 AM) [snapback]256749[/snapback]</div>
    I feel like I found a brother or sister! 9800 miles, picked up on 2/10!

5. cdavid

cdavid Member

So what's your technique for rotating the tires in your garage. You must have two jacks? Or just one jack and two stands? Are you rotating on the same side or opposite sides, then do you need 3 stands?

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I use 1 jackstand, and 1 jack.

The back wheels go forward.

The front wheels go to the back, and they swap sides. (front passenger becomse rear driver)

I put wheel #1 (doesn't matter which one) up on the jack stand and remove it.

Then I go top it off with air (42psi) and take it to it's destination as per my plan above.

Jack that corner up and take that wheel off, put the wheel on that I previously aired up.

Go air up the tire that is off, take it to it's destination, repeat as above.

Eventually, you are putting the last tire back on the corner where the jackstand is at and you are finished.

If anyone decides to follow my method, do so at your own risk. If my jack were to fail on me, I won't be hurt as I am able to stay clear of the car while the jack is the only thing holding the weight. Most OSHA agents would disapprove of my failure to use a jackstand here. I feel my body is in more danger trying to position a jackstand than if I just stay clear of the car and swap out the wheel.