1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

!@$*&%$(+)~?<>_ VISTA

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Nov 5, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OMG, Ive been with tech support so much they call me by my first name.... :(

First it was FireFox having issues with vista or vise versa. then connection problems while using the wirless then connectoin problems hooked up to the main cable modem :angry: ... Ive got the India connection on speed dial.. :rolleyes:

Example: I can be surfing the net and click on a link and poof no connection. I then have to re-boot to regain my connection!! <_<

Then the dang video card drops off into a blank lock up screen during a video..... :angry: I explain this to my now new found friends in india tech suport, and even do that thingy where they remotely veiw the screen and the lap-top. The guy sat there and watched a video and !@#$^%# nothing happend, ie no lock up........ <_<

Other than Vista problems, the Dell Inspron 1501 is a really nice unit.... ;) B)

Any Ideas? :huh:

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I gave up on trying to set up a dual boot XP/Vista machine this summer. Vista was to have its own private boot drive. Unfortunately, it takes about an hour to go from one screen to the next in setup. Product support advice was to start removing hardware (my guess is that the RAID controller is screwing it). This is a 100% new machine with all post-Vista hardware. A seach turns up people with a similar situation (one guy has a machine that takes 8 to 10 HOURS to boot).

This explains it all:

http://tinyurl.com/28yfmh

- Tom

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Idea #1:

Uninstall Vista and install a real OS on your hardware. You'll do nothing but fight Vista and hate every minute of it. XP Pro is stable... Linux is even better if you can find a config that suits your needs.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, that sucks. yeah, xp pro has never given me trouble. i tried and tried and tried to install our local network printer on my coworker's vista machine and it hated me every step of the way. eventually i gave up.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but how much money did you save buying a Dell instead of a mac? :p

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Idea #2:

Return the Dell, buy an Apple. :D

but in all seriousness, I would go back to XP if you must have Windows - it's much more stable and compatible with everything out there. Wait until Microsoft releases SP1 (maybe even SP2) for Vista before upgrading...

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Buying the new Microsoft OS is like buying a new GM car, let the army of unpaid quality control experts (customers) uncover all of the problems first and then in a few years, maybe it'll be worth your while. Buying Dell is like buying a GM car and KNOWING that it's a piece of junk. I've been there, I'm not a Mac head from the get go. I've had plenty of my time wasted by Microsoft and their latest piece of crap OS version. I'm keeping XP for as long as possible because it's pretty stable and almost as good as Mac's OS 10 but I have absolutely no interest in speaking to customer service reps in India on how to fix a pretty piece of junk. I won't buy proprietary systems like Dell anyway. I have a local computer builder who is really good and their computers never break down or even wear out. I have no idea how Dell got to be so popular.

8. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have two machines side by side. One is about a year old and runs XP. It has one gig memory and works very well. The other is about three weeks old and runs Vista Premium. It has two gigs of memory and works every bit as well as the first one. You really do need at least two gigs for vista. I also have a Toshiba lap top that runs vista, but it only has one gig memory and runs slower. I haven't had any trouble with vista. The only hard part is figuring out the new wording on a lot of their commands.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Return it if possible. My GF got XP instead of Vista on her Dell precisely to avoid this sort of nonsense.

10. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought an HP machine with VISTA on July 1, and I, too, was talking with support regularly (mostly via online messaging, once by phone) when I wasn't waiting for my computer to recover from its last crash. One problem was fairly quickly resolved (after my third online support request) with an optional Microsoft update - that was because the wireless desktop interfered with the screen saver settings.

Another problem took far more calls - USB2 ports running at USB1 speeds - and much installing of new drivers and other options. None of the options seemed to work. But another call about a different problem began with the service tech insisting I retry connecting my USB hard drive to my HP computer, and lo and behold, this time it ran at the proper speed, and it's worked properly since then.

Another problem was that it wouldn't recognize a firewire external hard drive. After many calls, HP wanted me to send it back for repair. Fortunately, Circuit City let me exchange my 'defective' unit even though I'd had it 3 more days than the 14 days allowed for exchange.

Of course, the 'brand new' one didn't recognize the firewire drive, either. Eventually, I found a reference to a Microsoft note that said some firewire devices aren't recognized by Vista but you could edit the registry to fix the problem. The note did not have 'firewire' as one of the search terms so you could find it. I sent the note to HP so they could stop telling people to send their machines in for repair.

My machine still had frequent problems - most times any reboot would take me into an hours long 'windows couldn't boot - wait while we try to fix it' routine. So anytime I'd want to reboot, I'd first boot into SAFE mode, then do a regular reboot from safe mode.

About a month later, I decided to risk just rebooting my machine without taking a side trip into SAFE mode - and I haven't had a problem in the last 2 months!

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    double posted

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 5 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]535015[/snapback]</div>
    now, now, be nice. Mac users are a lot like Prius driver (get the feeling I'm really in to analogies? :lol: ) in that we just seem superior but deep inside we're all the same now aren't we?

13. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 5 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]535061[/snapback]</div>
    Yea,

But this was the guy a few months ago asking why us Mac users "pay more" for Macs.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37771

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I upgraded my laptop from 2K to XP.
    I won't touch Vista.
    I'll go Mac first.

Heck, maybe I'll go Mac, anyway.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Nov 5 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]535149[/snapback]</div>
    Ah yes, I remember that one. Well, some people will never go the route that's more expensive up front. They'll always take the cheaper one. Always. Those are the ones who won't buy a Ford Escape hybrid because it costs a few thousand more than the gas-only version (taking the tax credit in to account, of course). I like cheapskates, they're funny.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Nov 5 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]535009[/snapback]</div>
    How true! Thank you for that link.

To the OP I say, if you really cannot switch to the Mac for whatever reason, go back to XP. It's fairly stable, it works okay, sort of, if you can live with the choice of inadequate security software or bloated security software. But really, if you want an OS that works, go to OS X or Linux. (Caveat: Linux requires sophisticated systems-level computer savvy.)

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 5 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]535177[/snapback]</div>
    Despite its ever-improving GUI desktop, Linux has remained the command-line OS favored by those with the programming abilities to tweak their OS and make real changes to it. I've seen command-line types work and it's something to behold. I got a copy of Ubuntu a couple of years ago and meant to put it on one of my older wintels but never got around to it, alas.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ 2007 11 05 16:48 PM) [snapback]535149[/snapback]</div>
    Precisely. I was being nice. ;)

19. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 5 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]534995[/snapback]</div>
    Buy an Apple.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Nov 5 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]535149[/snapback]</div>
    Holy carp, I had forgot that! Thanks for reminding me! :lol:

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 6 2007, 02:34 AM) [snapback]535344[/snapback]</div>
    I paid $700 for a 15.4" screen loaded laptop. The only real issue is the connectivity, my wifes dell 600, is running XP and has not had an issue. I wonder if dell would replace vista with XP?
    that way I would have the complete back up cd. ;)

The machine was offered with vista as XP was supposed to be on its way out and that XP users would have to upgrade in the near future.....

[​IMG]