1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

!@$*&%$(+)~?<>_ VISTA

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Nov 5, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's certainly worth a phone call to see if you can get XP instead.

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 6 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]535729[/snapback]</div>
    I'm betting that they won't. Primarily because their license with Microsoft probably won't support XP on new computers. The problem with proprietary systems is that they usually partition a small section of the hard drive to accommodate their own crapware so if I was stuck with a Dell, I'd wipe the drive, repartition it to remove Dell's little partition, buy a copy of XP and install it on to the computer. This is why I won't buy proprietary, they infect it with their own brand of stupidity.

3. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't place 100% of the blame on Vista, but I would be mad at Dell. They have a nasty habit of using the cheapest components in their computers and not caring if everything plays nice together. I had a flawless upgrade from XP home to Vista on my 3 year old Sony. Vista upgrades are very dependent on the PC getting the upgrade.
    I also built my own Vista desktop back in April, and the thing didn't work right until October. The reason? Bad ram. The Microsoft support people were useless and have the worst phone connection ever. Thankfully, Newegg.com (where I bought the RAM) was nice and replaced the ram for free. Now the desktop works perfectly (not one crash since the new ram).
    My advice to you would be to back up all of your files and send the laptop dack to Dell and have them replace the network card and video card/motherboard. Dell isn't exactly known for their quality anymore.

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go XP Pro. It is my understanding that it is available on new machines until mid-08. Tell Dell you want it instead because of the problems or you will be sending the machine back. I'd wait until Vista SP1 (or 2) as others have advised. Mac or Linux might be an option too, depending on your requirements.

As for Dell - I have never understood their popularity. Every time I have priced their machines they seem more expensive than the competition for comparable or lesser configurations and IMO they are not great on tech support (at least that was my past experience from a few years ago).

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update: I had to call The India Connection again, after returning home. Due to the computer wouldn't connect again..... :angry:

I finnally got a connection and they did a remote login. The very rushed and pushy woman "Nisha" did a full diagnostic scan and found, ready for this?.... A problem with VISTA :eek: , seems several files where corrupted and she impatiently walked me through a format and renistall then down loaded the vista fix for the corrupted areas and said they would send me a newer version of VISTA :mellow: and that they couldnt send me a version of XP unless I paid full price for it.... <_<

She did suggest not loading other browsers like Fire Fox & ect. and to just run explorer, as this would keep files from being corrupted in the future. :rolleyes:

Again the Inspron 1501 lap top performs very well and seems the problem was the operating sys. They even fixed the software for the video card. B)

I did think it was kinda funny at the end of the call she asked me if I wanted to log a complaint on her? I said nope, I was happy to finnally use the computer longer than 10 min before having to reboot.. :rolleyes:

I guess she must get lots of complaints, she also sounded like she was reading from a book when the explained what she was doing..... :unsure:

I did ask if they had recieved many complaints on VISTA and she replied NO it was a great operating SYS.
    When I called my ISP to get their program reinstalled the support person when asked the same question said there are many bugs that are still being worked out of VISTA and that they (microsoft rushed to get it out, instead of working the kinks out before releasing it) I was surprised at the honesty of the support person. :lol:

This is what I got in the Dell Inspiron 1501:

PROCESSOR AMD Turionâ„¢ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0GHz/1MB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
    LCD PANEL Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
    MEMORY 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
    HARD DRIVE Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
    SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio
    BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)

It cost me $790.00 at the time of purchase.. That was cheaper that the rest, I looked at that time..

I have heard that Acer, seems to be producing a good product too.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 7 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]536170[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, don't buy a Mac. Why would you want something that actually works? For a brand new system, it sure needs a lot of fixin'. Reminds me of my last GM car.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 7 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]536182[/snapback]</div>
    I would have gladly purchased a MAC, but the $1200 price tag stopped me in my tracks and that was a REFURB model.

I have to throw a little caution into the wind on certain types of purchases. I work for city goverment and it should be criminal for how little Im paid... The only benifits I have is a take home car, and free health care with a $20. co-pay...

The wife also works for county goverment, We agree we will never be rich.. in fla.. :rolleyes:

8. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had Vista on a machine since February and have had no problems at all. It used to have XP on it too. XP used to give me problems from time to time.

I select parts carefully and put together computers myself so perhaps my better choice in hardware accounts for my good fortune. I have the 64 bit version of Vista on a machine with a dual core 64 bit processor. XP (32 bit) couldn't utilize the dual core as well as Vista does. It's much zippier now. Plus XP looks crappy compared to Vista, so I'm quite happy.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 7 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]536189[/snapback]</div>
    I understand, believe me. I just wonder if all the time you're spending talking to some disagreeable punjab woman isn't nullifying the cost savings. People who use WinTels exclusively don't know how hard they have to work.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 7 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]536170[/snapback]</div>
    So this great new OS requires that you use a notoriously buggy and unsafe browser!

The lady would have been reading from a computer screen. An interactive program that lets her pick your question from a list, and then tells her what to say.

Let's see: $790 for a computer that does not work, vs. $1,200 for one that does. Hmmm... Which would I choose? I guess I'll pay $790 for one that does not work, because I've saved $410, and after I throw away the non-functioning computer I'll have a lot of free time that I used to waste on the computer. It's a win-win.

11. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 7 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]536277[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly she gave the gentleman bad advice. I've always used Firefox and Thunderbird on my Vista machine. Again, no problems.

12. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Nov 7 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]536292[/snapback]</div>
    I have Vista Home Premium on two machines, and don't have any problems with Firefox.

As I posted earlier, I had problems with Vista in July, but it seems to be stable now - no crashes or problems that required me to reboot in the last 3 months.

I'm surprised that it took so long for DELL to do a full diagnostic on your system! When I was having problems on my newly purchased HP system in July, that was one of the first things they did.

If I were you, I'd also run the disk-checking utilities on your hard drive - I'd think it's more likely you have/had a glitchy spot on the drive that caused files to get corrupted, rather than thinking Firefox corrupted your operating system.

13. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Nov 7 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]536355[/snapback]</div>
    Good idea! Vista runs the disk defragmenter in what they call lo priority I/O, which means you can set it to run at any time of the day (through scheduling) and it will not interfere with your work, out of the box, it's set to run at 1:00AM, so you might want to change the time to when your are sure the PC will be turned on...

14. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Nov 7 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]536292[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I am using FireFox on my VISTA, with no problems. Heck, I'm even using Safari for Vista with no problems.

15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd have to agree there. Don't forget tech support you can go talk to face to face (if you have an apple store in your town). I've gotten really spoiled by that.

Also, to clarify the macbooks on refurb can often be found through Apple direct for as cheap as $799 and are more equivalent to a mid-to high end Dell. Apple just doesn't bother to make a crappy machine just so they can say they have a $500 laptop.
    http://dealmac.com/Refurbished-Apple-Mac-B...ped/193037.html
    Interesting that the Dell XPS M1330, which is most similar to the macbook is considerably more expensive.
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...stab&~ck=mn

To each his/her own I guess, but it frustrates me that a lot of people write off an option that would probably work a lot better for them based on misinformation (more expensive, less software, less powerful, etc). Kind of like the Prius I guess :(

An interesting, if unscientific data point. Most Inspirons on Amazon are rate 2-3 stars by customers. Macbooks are rated 4-4.5 stars.

Rob

16. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Nov 5 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]535010[/snapback]</div>
    I find it interesting that you hate Vista so much. I did an upgrade from XP Home to Vista Home Premium and my PC runs much better and faster than it ever did with XP. I have an HP Pavilion m7100y. It's a media ctr. PC and I had to wipe the HD almost monthly before installing Vista. That was 7 months ago and to this day I have never had to wipe my HD or call tech support for some idiotic thing gone wrong with XP.

I love Vista & will never go back to XP. That upgrade disc was the best $69.00 I ever spent on software.

17. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I won't buy Vista.

I've had my HP laptop for 2 years without any problem. My last HP laptop lasted nearly 5 years when I decided to buy the current one because I also run my research work applications on it and needed a faster computer.

Out of the three friends I have who uses Macs, one had to format his laptop after using it for a year because it is so slow (and crashes everytime he opens Word or anything else basically), one has the print of the keyboard permanently imprinted on the laptop screen (squares on the screen that don't go away - plus it is really slow), and the other's laptop recently started crashing once he opens an application plus he had to repair it few months ago for some hardware problem. And no, my laptop doesn't crash (ok, may be twice a month).

I wanted to install Vista, I guess I won't do that after reading this thread.

18. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Nov 7 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]536487[/snapback]</div>
    I spent a month screaming about how much I hated Vista, but now that it's 'settled down' for me, I would recommend it for most people wanting a Windows machine.

But you have some work applications that might not run on Vista - you'd want to find out if they're Vista compatible.

I had a couple of 'consumer'-type applications where I had to purchase upgrades to make them Vista-compatible, but they're fairly specialized ones - one is disk imaging software, and another is a utility for copying DVD movies. But dozens of other application packages work fine with Vista, even my Office 2000 suite.

19. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 7 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]536189[/snapback]</div>
    You are NOT comparing COMPARABLE machines.

1st - you were comparing a laptop to a desktop?? :blink:
    2nd - you were comparing a consumer notebook to a refurb professional notebook.

Your confusion is that Apple chooses not to compete in the low end market.

Kinda like comparing a Hyundai Sonata to your (& my) hybrid Camry... It costs less - you get less!!!

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Nov 7 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]536441[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point. Any old question. It doesn't have to be a crash or something that doesn't work. I can stop in at the Macintosh store and chat with the guys. That is a very valuable service and it's free.