1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured A $25,000 Tesla Around The Corner?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Aug 19, 2018.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think 5K model S a week that's gonna go up to 8K a week will have every car maker worried in a big, big way in 18months, which is probably about the time truck buyers will be making huge deposits and the end in Detroit's last great selling vehicles, their trucks, will have the rug pulled out from under them.

bisco likes this.
  2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Ford and GM know this. They have been "talking" (preparing) about future products for this EV revolution to happen. And Ford is already planning to leave the sedan market all together (do you count Mustangs?), and stay with trucks and SUVs.

It is the Japanese brands that seem to think EV is a joke, and Fuel Cell is their holy grail.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Detroit is moving so slowly on EV that Tesla Trucks are now Musk's favorite vehicle and they're accelerating start of production specifically because Detroit is moving so slowly. I personally can't wait till all the idiot big truck owners are no longer stinking up my life and just driving past clean and quiet like.

bisco likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uh-oh!
    The Big Government will need to "bell the truck" then, just like Hybrids. :eek:

Prius Maximus likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Well...... they got a little help from Toyota in the form of a factory (NUMMI) capable of producing well over 400,000 cars/yr and a lot of equipment. Tesla decided to change a lot of it out for the untried "machine that builds the machine" concept.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla might have helped Toyota's publicity out by buying NUMMI, and Toyota made out in having the Rav4 EV instead of just the iQ EV, and selling their share of Tesla.

They also didn't get the equipment. They got some at auction, but much of it went to other Toyota plants.
    Tesla paid $42M for NUMMI but doesn't have deal to build cars with Toyota | VentureBeat | Enterprise | by Camille Ricketts
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20110918/OEM01/309189998/toyota-gave-old-robots-new-tools-to-trim-u.s.-camry-price-2

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes. I didn't say they got it all. Bottom line they got a great deal financed by a sweet federal loan to do it. IOW a lot of help and not building everything from scratch.

I still think Fremont will be the achilles heel long term as building cars in silicon valley, one of if not the most expensive place in the USA, will never allow them to be on even footing with other manufacturers. Every domestic and foreign auto maker has left the state.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they can always pack up their tent and move...

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am not ready to go there because I looked at a map of Fremont incomes. That plant is near a lot of lower income people and I understand the Tesla employees are making ~$19/hour. Plus the BART station just opened which means a lot of Oakland residents can reach the plant. IMHO, the labor rates should be compatible and industrial power, water, and sewer rates are not that far off.

Bob Wilson

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota was going to be the last car company closing manufacturing there, which is why I said this deal helped Toyota's reputation. Toyota also came out ahead from the partnership even with them letting Tesla 'steal' the factory. Without Tesla, they might have had to just abandon the site for nothing.

Businesses all arrange things like tax breaks and low financing for projects like new factories. Tesla getting such for the feds is along the same lines. They are playing by the same rules as everyone else.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup. The best deal is when both sides think they won.

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Uh, guys. NUMMI was a few miles away from my old home, so I saw what happened first hand. No I couldn't afford Fremont. I lived a town south. AKA the dump for the City of San Jose, literally. When Tesla got their hands on the old NUMMI plant. Toyota and GM were already gone. They closed the plant in 2010 when GM went bankrupt.

It was Fremont's Mayor that saw an opportunity to lure Tesla (Tesla was almost ready to sign for CHEAP SoCal warehouses as their new factory) and got some business back into town. Otherwise, that Tesla plant would have been taken down and sold for home development now.

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I wasn't following Tesla back then but according to wiki even before that:

"Tesla had planned for an assembly factory in Albuquerque, New Mexico, as a central location for shipping.[3][4] Construction was supposed to begin in April 2007, but was canceled.[5]"

Can you imagine, Elon hanging out with Walt and Jessie? :)

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    bwilson4web likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model: