1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A 5-seat Toyota Prius Prime is on the way

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 12, 2016.

1. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No need for that with summon auto parking.

Btw, as an owner of a gullwing door Delorean, I can tell you it only needs 12” clearance from a wall or post to fully open the door. I could never get in or of normal car door with that little amount of clearance. The Model X is even less due to the mid hinge in the door

iPhone X ?

bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Soon after the Prime unveil, a Toyota critter said the charger could be moved. The actual culprit is the battery and inverter for the solar roof option.

Considering its global volume, I don't see Toyota making such changes until the next generation. Five seats won't be compatible with the solar roof option, and that is offered in multiple markets. The extra seat may require structural changes.

Rumors for Camry PHEV would be already out if one was planned for 2019.

Considering the nature of TNGA, and what we see in the Prime, a Camry PHEV will lose as much space in the trunk as the Fusion Energi. The Clarity doesn't lose trunk space, and the 15cu.ft. is comparable to ICE models.

Don't know about reliable, but the door opening can be set to different heights.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also possible TMNA will just forego the solar roof option and go with 5-seats only. In other markets, it will be a 5 seat car unless the solar roof is specified. (just like the Gen 3 where the top models got the 17" alloys but dropped to 15" when the solar moonroof was outfitted)

Rmay635703 likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but if the fifth seat really does need some structural reinforcement, I don't Toyota willing to do so until the next model where they, hopefully, package the battery better.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they will do it if they think it will boost sales enough. i don't see that many complaints.

6. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The doors have built in proximity sensors that detect objects in the path of the door. It simply stops, usually within 5-6 inches. I’ve seen it work first hand. Including stopping for a low hanging light tree branch.

iPhone X ?

Trollbait likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could be wrong, but I thought the solar roof was only for the home market?

But if TOYOTA wants to keep up with IONIQ PHEV (reputedly coming in 6 wks time), it'll need 5 seats here to be credible. Yeah, Rolls can get away with a 4 seat car the size of the Queen Mary, but others which came with 4 didn't do well here.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Solar roof is available in certain parts of Europe (we have an Italian member here with the roof.. i think it was @E-GINO ?)

Yes. As much as I like the 4-seat layout with the rear centre console, a 5-seater will sell better (psychologically... just like AWD vs. 2WD)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Here I am... I've been owning my Prius PHV w/solar roof for 10 months now.
    I would NOT trade the solar panel for a fifth seat, not at all, I am too much happy of its performances: right now I am at the airport waiting to board a plane, when I will be back in 4 days the battery will be at 80%, which means a free ride to home (sunny forecasting here).
    I think that basically we miss the fifth seat exactly as we miss a spare tyre, "just in case".
    Incidentally, I've bought a spare donought tyre, just in case ;)

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only other four seaters here are much smaller cars, or high luxury in which the car owner will be riding in the back.

The four seat layout of the gen1 Volt didn't bother me. What bothers me about it, and the battery placement, in the Prime is that they are both glaring examples that Toyota wasn't paying attention to what people wanted in a PHEV.

alanclarkeau and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prime is already a unique platform, seems like they would have just PHEVd the “v” since the primes battery (dimensionally) at least drops in and all 5 seats can stay intact.

Discontinue v continue with prime “v”

As opposed to make a completely unique longer liftback and slop together something intended for a different market assuming you won’t sell any.

I honestly believe Toyo did not expect the Prime to sell, so designed it to be profitable in the hundreds instead of thousands

#231 Rmay635703, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it really isn't selling that many, not sure what they expected though.

13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It could sell more but far as I can tell it’s regionally and supply “constrained”

I saw my first Prime on a trip out West but have never seen one anywhere in my travels through the midwest

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There'd still be the loss of cargo space and raised cargo floor to remind you with a Primed v.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sales to date, USA are 38,713 (up through mid July, est.)

16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    And until recently they did it without a single Prime parked in a single lot throughout Wisconsin, Iowa, Etc

I had to open my search window to 500 miles on cars to find dealers with new Primes for sale, at a 500 mile radius there are 28 primes,
    I think that speaks to the heart of the issue for many of us.

So If folks in other areas of the country could test drive one I bet the number would be higher.

Heck, our local Toyo dealers don’t even have normal Prii in their lots.

The biggest dealer in 4 counties had a Single Gen IV on their “hill” and I couldnt test drive it.

Ah well, if I wait 4 years they will find their way out here used.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shows you how desperate folks are for toyota plug ins. imagine if they made a real one?

Trollbait and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. lmans66

lmans66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So enlighten me to see how I fit into this intended audience...what or to whom was the Prime made for? I just traded in a regular Prius for the Prime. Not sure what audience I switched from and into:)

19. lmans66

lmans66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure.....I know the four seater didn't bother me when I went for a purchase of the Prime. Not that 'anyone' asked my opinion when they developed the car. In the previous 10 years of having my hatchback Prius, I think I had the 5th seat used once...maybe twice? And we could have avoided that as well....So don't think I would have objected much.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Simple, families grow up. Mom & Dad go from needing a routine transport for children to using the back for occasional travel with adults.

Having nicer seats with an armrest & cupholders makes far more sense than squeezing in a third person, for that new audience.

You want a larger setting area, you buy a larger vehicle... hence all the other hybrids, some of which will offer a plug. Next year, it will be Corolla hybrid in some markets.

#240 john1701a, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    alanclarkeau likes this.