1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A 5-seat Toyota Prius Prime is on the way

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 12, 2016.

1. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There maybe still be hope !
    After all,I am pretty sure that the pictures and the test driven cars are and were pre-production models .
    Somewhere here an interview with a toyota official stated the battery will be in the hatch and underneath the back seats,but these pictures clearly show that the battery is placed in the hatch only!

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That Toyota official could have been referring to the additional battery that the solar option has.
    Odds are at this point the first Prime to arrive will have 4 seats.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was me. And there might have been some lost in translation or miscommunication. Looking at the diagrams, it looks like the battery is only under the rear floor. The 3 inch rise means the battery will have to be an odd shape to fit under the rear seat (i.e. have a thinner bit sticking out from the cargo area to the seat). Someone can correct me but I think it's easier to manufacture a rectangular shaped battery rather than an oddly shaped one.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    remember, toyota is reading every post. the more we complain, the more likely they are to find a better spot for the battery.

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I highly doubt they'll make last minute battery relocation given that they've already spent millions developing the Prime. The best they can do is add it to the things to do for the next generation Prime.

6. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More than 22 miles ev. (100 or better, or me no likey.)

100 miles or more of ev only, or no sale.

Anything less than 110 miles ev only and I'll buy a crappy Chevy Volt with a wimpy bowtie on the grill. I'll even wear one myself, that's how important extended ev miles are.

Hey Toyota, how about an option for an extended range Prime, say 110 miles ev or so?

How dumb is it to put a battery in a car that get's less than 25 miles when Tesla is working on one with 200+ and the Volt is on the roads now with 50+.

P.S. tell your service dept's to quit overtightening the oil filters. I broke all my filter removers and had to take it in to a shop to get the filter off.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota doesn't read every post. They might glance at it once in a while and say yeah we monitor this forum.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Look around. The market is overwhelmed with guzzlers. Not understanding that the masses are far from ready for large batteries is a big mistake.

More is not better for the mainstream. It's great for many of us here, but we are far from representative of ordinary car buyers.

Less than 25 miles stands a chance of seriously competing directly, without subsides, against traditional vehicles at high-volume for a profit in this generation cycle.

Volt is out of the running for that and Tesla is many years away still.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tesla is not a phev.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CT6 phev is what many here complaining really want... larger battery-pack that's flattened, much more electric capacity, and seating for 5 adults.

The catch is, it will be extremely expensive... not in any way affordable to this audience.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it might be to some, but they likely won't buy it. complaining is so much more fun!:p

KrPtNk and john1701a like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    22 miles (35km) of Electric range would suit me great. And I'd guess that as a hybrid with a larger battery it should be able to utilise it to greater potential than a standard Prius if the PLUG IN facility isn't being used - like on a longer trip.

bisco likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The battery cells are subdivided into stacks. Once the physical arrangement of those stacks is determined for the case, the ease of building the entire pack should be the same regardless of shape.

Building the case that is more than one rectangle cube will take more steps in forming one from metal, and it might use more material.

Properly cooling an irregular shaped pack by air will likely require using a more powerful fan or total number of fans, or be more clever in designing it for airflow.
    And Lexus has a non-plug hybrid that starts at $120,000.
    The expense of the CT6 lies in that it is Cadillac's flagship model. Not in it being a better packaged PHEV than the Prius Prime. It will likely be more affordable that that Lexus hybrid though.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How is that constructive? The word "start" is quite misleading. You know all too well there are other non-hybrid Lexus offer for a fraction of that.

For example, Lexus RX400h.

bisco likes this.
  15. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would be something interesting say...If they produce a Prime that had 100 miles EV and a 4 gallon gas tank to go ~ 200 miles.

LoL - you'd fill up every few hours...Right now I have the joy of driving all day long without a fill-up charge.

I think the main thing people don't quite get is that the focus is on the Battery Tech and density as well as weight. If batteries can be more dense and lighter (doesn't matter if it's Lithium Ion or not...) then you could potentially see a 50 Mile Prime with an 12 gallon gas tank ....going 52 mpg still.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds like the bmw i3 rex.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Which is really nice, but not in the affordable category.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correctamundo.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was as constructive as your implying in the following post that for people to get what they expected out of the Prius Prime from Toyota would make the car too expensive by omitting that the CT6's much higher price revolves around it being Cadillac's flagship, top of the line car. The PHEV components are going to be nearly identical to the Volt's, and that will likely be about $4000 more than what the Prime will likely start at.

In other words, Toyota giving the Prius Prime 5 seats or cargo space comparable to the Prius will not turn it into a $60,000 plus Lexus.