1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A 5-seat Toyota Prius Prime is on the way

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 12, 2016.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Initial rollout was limited to orders and the tail-end saw the inability to get stock. Calling 4 is fine, though it makes growth seem more than it really is.

And this isn't 60% of the states... California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and Hawaii.

As stated countless times by others, market depends upon availability not past demographics.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those states covered 60% of national Prius sales.
    So PiP sales could have been roughly 40% higher with national availability. As it was, the PiP sold over 12k units a year in its 3 best years, including that first year of 11 months.
    This why I think 20k per year is possible for the Prime. 30k would be amazing, but I feel it isn't possible at this time. The gen4 hasn't reach last year's numbers.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok... then, what is the scope of "at this time" ?

Remember how year #1 and #2 were "initial rollout" and the following "mainstream" for Volt expectations.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another thing occurred to me. prime buyers will be guiney pigs. if the 4 seat thing doesn't work out, and a 5 seater comes out, it could really squash resale value.

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    True. But someone could then pickup a nice gently used 1-3 year old 4-seater Prime for an excellent price. If not buying the Prime with the intent to keep it for years, maybe it would make more sense to lease the 4-seater.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any plug-in purchase is subject to market volatility.

Mid-Cycle updates could cause down values. But then again, demand for plug-in vehicles could command a premium due to inventory shortages.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, it depends on the lease price, which depends on toyota's estimate of market value at the end.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I used "at this time" cause of the reason for this thread. I think if a 5 seat one becomes available, it will sell better.

The resale value will already be pushed down by the incentives for new cars and questions about the battery life, as it is for current plug ins.
    And whether they incorporate the value of incentives into the lease.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but it might be pushed down even more. look what happen to pip.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You replied with a request for detail with another vague reference.

goodbye

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At this time Synonyms, At this time Antonyms | Thesaurus.com
    Seeing how the Prime isn't available yet, I don't mean the immediacy of those synomyns.
    The Volt and Fusion Energi are the two big sellers of PHEVs. I don't see anything compelling about the Prius Prime to allow it to get 50% more sales than them that a "modest rate of 30k" would require.

Being Toyota and a Prius will go a long way to helping sales. Regardless of whether anyone actually using the middle seat, it is a handicap to sales though.
    Really?
    You don't get a straight forward, plain spoken response once, and you walk away.
    :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
    At least my response was short.
    How about this?
    The title of this thread is the Prime getting a fifth seat. I don't think will sell better than the others until that happens.
    or
    Until Toyota designs a plug in with the North American market, the one most likely to be the biggest for plug ins in the near future, in mind, the best they can hope for in terms of sales is being near the front of the pack.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is funny how it works.

The Gen 4 is released with bold styling. Now it goes from "Toyota makes boring cars" to "Toyota makes ugly cars". Lesson learned? People who complain will always complain. I guess the plus side is that there's less complaining on the Camry side (Boring and non-descript were the words of the day).

Then the Prime is released and suddenly it becomes "Oh the Prime is toned down and I like it." Oh really? So you admit you prefer a more conservative design. (The Prime really is more conservative). If Toyota had released the Prime as the Gen 4, it would've been remarked as "looks better than Gen 3 but still boring".

It is quieter. It will come with acoustic front door glass, the same lamination process used on the windshield to reduce noise transmission. I just hope they can reduce tire noise. The Gen 4 is noticeably quieter, especially on the highway but tire noise is still transmitted in.

KrPtNk likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then it remains to be seen if the people who said 'toyota should take a risk' will put their money where their mouth is. i never said it, and i likely won't be buying the current iteration. i did ask for more ev miles, but i never said i would be willing to give up space. i thought the new chassis would be designed to hold more battery.

if the new camry gets this kind of 'bold design'? sales will plummet.

#153 bisco, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
    Felt and inferno like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's like saying, "I wanted more passenger capacity but I never said I wanted a bigger car."

drash likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why, didn't volt pull it off?

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since they created TNGA for multiple models of cars, I'm pretty sure the engineers were also told anything they design must fit in other cars as well. More likely Toyota designed the battery box as modular as possible to fit other vehicles as well. Probably part of their push for wider usage of like parts. The Prime, unlike the PiP, has the same size gas tank as the Prius lift back and it probably is in the same spot as the Prius lift back so they can use the same mounting hardware too. I'm sure there were some battery design decisions surrounding the gas tank size and placement as well. This is not the answer you want to really hear or that it even helps, but I'm sure it wasn't a "Toyota engineers designed the car so they can travel with their wife and two kids but have to leave their mother-in-law home".
    :D

#156 drash, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    KrPtNk, Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm still in the 'toyota does not care about plug ins' camp, until they prove me wrong.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's unfortunate the "waiting until affordable" approach gets portrayed as not caring by some. But that does make it easy to see why others believe it. The anecdotal evidence is abundant. I've witnessed the history that confirms Toyota's focus is delivering a product for the masses... and isn't concerned if it give the impression of "falling behind".

People can think what they want. Some have made up their mind already. Some prefer to wait & see. It won't affect the outcome. Ordinary consumers don't participate online anyway.

#158 john1701a, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it's the perfect excuse to buy time. I'm sure a number of us on PriusChat (especially the older members) will recall many reasons given my friends, co-workers, family and strangers about buying hybrids such as

• It's too expensive, I'll never make back the cost!
    • I heard it doesn't get the claimed mileage. My car gets an average of <quotes whatever the EPA number is>.
    • <when you bought your car> They said the battery needs to be replaced every 5 years
    • <5 years later>. The warranty is 8 years right? Then it should last 10 years
    • <5 more years pass>. Well hybrids should last 15 years.
    • My next car will be a hybrid. I'll wait until the current car dies.
    • When I need a new car, it'll be a hybrid (so far, I'm at 0/2 who bought their first car. At least both were 4 cylinder SUVs)

And so on.

But again, hybrids don't fit everyone's lifestyle (especially in Canada where there's a rooted "I need 4WD to go down to the shops" mentality whether it's Vancouver, Toronto or Yellowknife although people in Yellowknife are probably the only ones to put on winter tires voluntarily. Vancouverites do but only those that go to the local ski hills and those people both use 2WD and 4WD cars). I can imagine the RAV4 Hybrids must be flying off the shelves since it's A. the most popular compact SUV in Canada, B. It's a hybrid and C. it has AWD.

Anyway, Toyota is focused on bringing down the cost of PHVs. But they have to realise that it's not strictly about cost. If it's the same price as a regular Prius but doesn't do what people expect, then it won't succeed. Just look over at your competitor and see how the Insight-II fared. It was deemed "the hybrid for everyone" because of the lower cost, meant to undercut the Prius. However, the cheaper materials (like the cardboard imitation of the Prius' false floor), the lack of value (really, you're removing a glovebox light in the base model? or forcing people to get navigation if they want stability control?) and the incremental mpg increase didn't help. I think they did well with the design actually and I like the look of the Insight-II.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Well, they were right, in most cases. Although in my case I did well with my Prius for a couple of reasons. One, I drove it a long time and then it got totalled and I got a higher than average insurance value for the car after 11 years. Two, I managed to claim the same provincial tax credit TWICE. :) I was in the first wave of Prius owners, and at that time the rebates were structured in such a way that you could claim the credit on leases and you could claim it on purchases, whether new or used. So I leased it (not being sure if I'd keep it or not), and claimed the tax credit. Then I bought out the lease / purchased the car as a used car and claimed the tax credit again. Initially they denied me saying I couldn't claim the tax credit again on the same car, but then I wrote back saying there is no requirement in program that says it has to be a different car. So they reviewed my file and gave me the tax credit again, and then later changed the program to exclude this loophole. :D

On the other hand, some American buyers of the PiP got hosed, when resale values of the PiP dropped through the floor. It shocked me to find out that a year after I got my PiP, American PiPs were sometimes selling for LESS than the regular Prius with similar mileage and options.

We bought the RAV4 Hybrid. I'm not sure what you mean about people in Yellowknife being the only ones to put on winter tires voluntarily. It's not a requirement in Ontario but the majority of people do it, and also did it even before the insurance companies starting providing small discounts for it.

And yeah, AWD to go up to the shops is great to have, even in the city, and even when you have winter tires on. For example it's a real pain in my PiP to go up the hill from my house to the shops in the winter after a big snowfall even with my X-Ice 3 tires on. The PiP really struggles, and the traction control makes it worse. It would be easier to climb the hill without the traction control, but Toyota has not given us an easy way to deactivate traction control. The only way to turn off traction control is to use a hack that isn't documented in the user manual.

If the RAV4 Hybrid didn't have AWD, we simply would not have bought it. No, we don't need a hardcore form of AWD to climb huge boulders in the outback, but the AWD in the RAV4 Hybrid is a great feature for city dwellers in Canada.

BTW, another big consideration for me going forward will be the multimedia system. Toyota is really resisting going with Android or iOS. That wouldn't be so bad if Toyota had a competitive system, but they don't. Toyota's multimedia system still is poor, even in our 2016 RAV4 Hybrid, and it's worse in our PiP. Yes, I will factor in the multimedia system when choosing my next car.

#160 Eug, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016