1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A 6100 miles journey, Do I have to do the maintenance in the journey?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dongfang, May 20, 2015.

1. dongfang

dongfang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone.

I'm planing a 6100 miles long distance journey, in two weeks, to visit Yellowstone National Park.

Before the journey, I estimate my P2 will have ran 2000 miles since the last maintenance. and my current plan is to do the maintenance before the journey, and after the journey, do the next.

However, I'm not sure, whether 6100 miles is too long. but after all, doing the maintenance in the journey is not an easy thing.

What's your point of view?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, just do it when you get home. these aren't hard and fast rules, as evidenced by toyota's different rules in different countries.

Okinawa likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You'll have 8100 miles on the car between oil changes. I believed the 5000 mile oil change interval was conservative as my Intrigue's was 7500 miles and that engine ran all the time. I'd wait & do it when I returned home.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are so many oil change places in so many towns, it's not that hard to get it done. Some of them you don't even get out of the car. If it worries you, take 20 minutes from your "hectic vacation schedule" and get an oil change.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So is your idea to change the engine oil/oil filter after only 2,000 miles have been logged since the last engine oil change?

If I understand that correctly, it would be better just to wait until you have returned home from your trip. Just check the engine oil level periodically during the trip to make sure the oil level does not get too low, and replenish if needed.

6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with Bisco. Just do it when you get home.