1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A-BAT - inspired by Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Technogeek, Dec 28, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is a 1/2 ton truck?
    This is a half ton ute here
    [​IMG]

Then there is a 4 door version
    [​IMG]

And a 1 ton version
    [​IMG]

These are about the size of a 6 cylinder station wagon so I can't understand how a monsterous truck is a half ton truck.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like cars, trucks have become a victim of bloat here too. The new Corolla is as big as a 20 yr old Camry, and I can put a 1/2 ton of stuff into the bed of my Ranger, but it's the smallest truck you can get here. So what are really 3/4+ ton trucks are referred to as 1/2 ton.

Enthusiasts here don't consider anything with FWD, unibody, and/or independent rear suspension a real truck. Most people would likely be fine with such a truck, but they tend not to be vocal.
    Hopefully the A-BAT will change opinions, and those who really need a work truck will get the hybrid Silverado.

Pat, do you have the specs for those modern Rancheros at hand?

3. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea what a Ranchero is but the good old Aussie Holden ute specs can be found here http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/ under the commercial tab. They come with 3.6 and 6.0 litre engines, of US origin I believe. The 4 door version is a Crewman, also under the commercial tab on the link I posted.
    They are front engine rear wheel drive or 4WD with rigid rear axle and on the one tonner leaf springs but others coil springs.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [​IMG]

El Camino.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not as well known as the El Camino, the Ford Ranchero was on the market first. Ford Australia originally introduced the car/truck hybrid.
    I was guessing those utes were Fords, because the nose profile reminded me of the previous Mustang.

6. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The nose profile should remind you more of a Pontiac GTO as they come from the same factory as the GTO of 2005 - 2006.
    The ute was invented here in Australia by a farmer who didn't have enough money to own a car and a small truck for the farm so he modified the back of his car to carry loads. He could work with the utility during the week and take mum to church in it on the weekends.
    Today young country lads love their utes, they take them to all the bachelor and spinster balls all over the country where after drinking copious amounts of alcohol they perform some circle work in the dusty paddock before a crowd of hung over lads and lasses in the morning.
    The evolution of the Holden Ute
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEHFBfVGvrI

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hay, it's an electric El Camino !! :D:D