1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A bigger oil filter that fits gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AllenZ, Nov 18, 2011.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I read somewhere that there is a bigger oil filter which can be used on gen 2. I suppose it has some advantages such as longer life?

Do you think the 3X, 6X and 9X filter makes much difference? I saw in auto parts store that 6X filter blocks more finer particles.

I always replace filter on oil change, but those 9X filters cost $8-9 now, almost 1/3 of synthetic oil cost. If it can be used for 2 oil changes, that might worth the price. What's your opinion on reuse filters?

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion on reusing oil filters: Why on earth would you mix dirty oil with the clean oil you just put in????

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have to quantify the amount of used and new. The ratio is very low, less than 0.1% I guess if you only consider the little bit of old oil left in filter.

The real issue is the dirt already being trapped in the filter. That will reduce the capacity of the filter in future usage.

4. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is something I would not and do not do.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oils contain dispersant/antioxidant ("detergent") additives to prevent the fine particles from forming sludge. Most particles are of order 1 micron. A conventional filter that captures those would clog quickly and prevent full flow. Filters that capture finer particles are usually bypass, rather than full flow. If trying to use an ultra-fine filter for two oil changes, it is possible that towards the end of the second, oil is bypassing the filter entirely because it is clogged.

If you want the engine to outlast the trans and hv battery, use a good synthetic and a good filter (Toyota, Wix), changed every 7500.

6. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That makes lots of sense! It was actually surprise to me when I read something that recommend to change oil filter for every other oil change.

What's the difference between a generic and "good" synthetic oil? Almost all synthetic oils are brand names. Are there any major difference? I know some people in PC stick to Mobile One. I am wondering why.

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are many different ways to make a synthetic. Castrol, Mobil 1, Redline -- these are all formulated in a different way, and you'll get thousands of opinions on BITOG as to which is better, but, IMHO, the differences are at the margins.

8. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My HCH2 calls for filter change every other oil change! I hope it works, as I am fallowing directions. MM tells you when things need replacing. I think it must be hard on the old school folks to actually go without changing the filter as well as going 10000 k between oil change! Sure saves money, so I hope it knows what it is doing. Hal

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am old school enough to not buy the every-other-filter-change. I think the car manufacturers, not just Honda, have decided that 150,000 miles is the lifetime of 90% of cars, and make design and maintenance decisions based on that. The cost of changing the filter every time is so little, compared to the downside risk of engine failure.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I run Mobil 1 5-30 for 10,000 and change the filter every 5,000 miles
    using Toyota OEM filter ($4.00).

1 person likes this.
  11. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See what I mean!!! We all understand auto's better than the maker.<grin> Hal

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately we don't know what the manufacturers know, we only get from them what they want to us to "know".

13. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't blame Toyota for not telling us what's the optimal way to maintain our Prius. They are in a bad position, like naked in the air. They have to cover all sides, all weather, all road condition... So I think they have to be conservative. No way they will tell us to block the grid. :)

14. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First time heard someone doing this. Interesting!
    Now you triggered me another question:

Other than the fine metal particles in used oil, is oil oxidation also the reason to replace oil? It seams like we judge oil quality mostly by the color of oil.

If we drive very gently (so no high temp causing oil to burn), and change filter every 3K miles, with finer filter (6X, 9X, whatever), does that mean oil could run 20K miles? Anyone tried that and compared the results before?

I read before that the auto transmission oil of a traditional car will deteriorate much faster if you drive aggressively. That sounds like oxidation in play.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The on-line oil filter test found most filters were essentially plugged and operating in by-pass mode after only 1500 mi. or less. I don't know of any engine that doesn't have a by-pass circuit around the oil filter.

Filters are much cheaper than engines. Change your oil filter!

In fact, -some- users of synthetic oil change the filter at the "standard" oil change interval but use the oil for another interval. A much better method than trying to re-use the filter.

16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

I use the filter on the left on my Gen2. The one on the right is the standard Gen2 filter. They both work, but anybody care to guess which one will clog up first?

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which test was that? Do you have a link to the test?

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The standard Toyota filter for the Camry, part 90915YZZF1, is the same as the Prius filter but a bit longer. It fits the Prius no problems.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The one on the right is a Mobil One filter not the standard filter.
    You don't need to get crazy on oil filtration on this car. The engine hardly works.

1 person likes this.
  20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It used to be pretty common here in Australia for folks to do the filter on only every second oil change. For example an oil change every 6 months and the filter every 12 months was a commonly used schedule for people not doing high annual mileage.

One thing I think has changed over time is that oil and petroleum products have tended to get more expensive and manufactured goods (eg oil filters) have tended to get relatively less expensive. This has made it more acceptable to just change the filter every oil change.

Having said that however, if I was doing 5k or fewer miles per oil change then I'd do two OCI's on a single filter without a second thought, even on a standard OEM one. An engine in good condition (especially a baby one like the Prius's) really doesn't produce that much wear metals or gunk for the filter to catch. There's no way the filter media is going to get fully loaded in under 10k miles. Some members over at "bobs the oil guy" have even run consecutive oil changes on a single oil filter with UOA's (used oil analysis) and have had slightly lower wear metals recorded on the second run! (thought to perhaps be due to the partially loaded filter media providing slightly better filtration).

In my case though I'm doing around 8k to 9k miles per OCI, so it's a new filter for every change for me. :)