A/C Amplifier Location

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jerlands, Jun 7, 2019.

1. jerlands

jerlands Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to test the ac fan and it runs correct. I didn't test the engine fan hower... probably would have been a good idea :) Anyway... does the AC system cause the engine cooling fan to operate or how does that work?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Both fans should always run together. The relays switch the circuit around in a clever way, so both fans either run at low speed (they're electrically in series) or both at high speed (they're in parallel).

Roughly, they run in low any time the A/C is on, or if the engine needs some cooling, and in high if the engine needs more cooling or the A/C line pressure goes over a threshold.

3. jerlands

jerlands Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok... both my fans do not run at the same time? seems this could be an amplifier problem and wonder if there is a way to do a factory reset on it? I've been under the car while it's running changing coolant and have noticed both fans on?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If both fans don't run at the same time, that's a problem. It could be a wiring problem, a fuse problem, a fan motor problem, or a relay problem. One thing it can't be, if you look at the wiring diagram, is an A/C amplifier problem. The A/C amplifier doesn't have any way to make one fan run without the other one, even if it were messed up and wanted to.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Salved title infers the wiring is messed up to the fan if the car hook a hard front end hit and everything was crushed in.

Fans run off relays.

Or maybe the fan is dead. I would jump 12 volts into the fan if you are able to check it. Both fans must be on if ac on.

The ac ecus I discussed earlier turn those fan relays on and off.

6. jerlands

jerlands Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've run all the active techstream tests and on the "electric fan" I remember it now as simply on/off and not variable but it seems the test only was for one fan and only one speed?

#26 jerlands, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:47 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019 at 1:08 AM
  7. jerlands

jerlands Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fan not running definitely now sounds like a problem so I'll have to check that out but I'm not certain about the "ac ecus" you're talking about?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The A/C amplifier. (One ECU, two wire harness plugs that connect to it.)

I remember for sure in Gen 1, both the A/C amplifier and the engine ECU got votes on switching the fan relays, and I think one or both of the engine coolant temp switch and the A/C pressure switch had direct representation too. But I haven't looked closely at a Gen 2 diagram to see what might be the same or different.