1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Blowing Hot Air in a 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ZBrink, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My A/C started blowing hot air yesterday. I have it set on the lowest setting "LO" with the A/C button illuminated and the blower on full blast. Hot air on a wake day. It's a 2010 with 130k.

Conventional wisdom would have me check for a Freon leak, then the compressor, etc. Is there anything specific I should look for because it's a Prius? Any common problem areas that cause this?

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    check or replace the cabin filter first, than the basics, prii use special Freon and compressor oil..

3. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is the "special Freon"?

4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    look up freon for hybrids

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would check the A/C lines and leaks. touch the low side of the lines to see if its cold and the high side if its hot.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The first basic, so basic that nobody mentions it, is to hold down the AUTO and RECIRC buttons together while putting the power button ON, then read any two-digit codes from the temp display to see what your A/C says the problem is, if anything.

-Chap

ZBrink and Rebound like this.
  7. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a shop check the pressure and there was no freon in the system so I had them put some dye in it. The photo below is me looking through the grill at the condenser with a UV light (blacklight). The green color appears to be the dye showing that the condenser is damaged and is leaking so I'm going to swap it out. The new one is on the way from Rock Auto. 20170410_155247.jpg

Rebound likes this.
  8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good work! make sure when the condenser is replaced, have the A/C system vacuum and recharge with Freon using a machine, don't use those A/C in a bottle to recharge since you need the system to be vacuumed dry and clean of any moisture in the system or else it'll cause corrosion in the lines and system.

#8 NutzAboutBolts, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Rebound likes this.