1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Blowing Hot Air (Only When Gas Engine Runs)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by efab1991, Jun 15, 2020.

1. efab1991

efab1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So this is kind of weird. I have a 2013 Prius, I believe it is Trim Level 4. So I can get into the car, and when I select 'A/C', the car blows cold air, without any difficulty, no matter the ambient temperature. This also happens when I sit in the car, lock it, and press 'A/C' on the key: The air conditioning comes on and blows cold air into the cabin, slowly of course, but it is designed that way, I would imagine.

However, and I've tested this several times, whenever the engine kicks in, without fail, the A/C suddenly starts blowing hot air into the cabin. I don't know what the cause of this is.

I looked under the hood and I saw that the air filter housing was cracked a bit. I presumed this meant that hot air was somehow being sucked into the cabin. So I patched it, with no effect. The air filter and cabin filter are practically new. And the compressor must be fine, since it is clearly more than capable of producing cold air, so long as the engine is not running.

I'm really puzzled here. I tested a few fuses, but they all seemed to be functioning normally. Does anyone else have any idea where I should start with this? Is there some kind of electronically-controlled air diverter valve or something that isn't functioning when the engine kicks in?

Thanks for your help, I was previously on this forum years ago when I had my '08 Prius, and it's good to be back in the Prius family again.

2. efab1991

efab1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After reviewing the forums, I realized you could get a diagnostics code simply by holding 'Auto' and 'Recirculate' when pressing the power button.

The diagnostic code is '97', could someone please direct me to a link where I can decipher this?

Thanks in advance.

3. efab1991

efab1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, I found the manual and I see that code 97 refers to an issue with the Harness or A/C Amplifier. I found a used A/C Amplifier online. I presume that this is more likely my problem since I have working A/C so long as the engine doesn't come on.

Can anyone direct me to a page where I can find out where this part is to swap it out?