1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Button on Remote - Functionality Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by papaduke, Apr 6, 2023.

1. papaduke

papaduke New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just purchased a 2010 Prius IV. Love the car!

Hopefully this is an easy question to answer.

Last night when I got home from work, I set the HVAC system to where I wanted it to start in the morning.

This morning I pressed the A/C button on the remote, saw the car power up, stayed powered up for maybe 8-10 seconds, and then powered back down and my car did not heat up until I went out to leave for work.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there an issue? Please let me know.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The Remote A/C function for the Gen 3 is for cooling only. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a pre-heat function - that was only available on the Prius Plug-in.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Added to the archive.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On Gen 3, you need the remote start module. Toyota has them. I researched this before my purchase and wanted it because I’m far enough north that I need to pre heat as well as pre cool.

5. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

It also runs off the battery only and will not start the car so it will only run until the battery gets down to a certain level or 3 minutes time.