1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C chage question? 30 PSI in normal range? whats my MAX?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Whitepriusguy1, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Whitepriusguy1

Whitepriusguy1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I have a small or big, not sure leak on my prius. I have to fill it up maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

right now its sitting at 30 PSI , and there is still bubbles in the eye, is this a normal range? or whats the max i can fill the AC up to? I am also only using regular R-134 no additives. is there something i can buy that has leak fix that is safe? is there somewhere that sells the ND11 with the AC?

forgot to mention i am getting 50 F on my temp guage

Attached Files:

#1 Whitepriusguy1, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    System pressure depends also on ambient pressure.

For example, at 75 degrees ambient, your pressure should be around 40PSI on the low side with the compressor running. At 85 it should be around 50 PSI. 30PSI is the correct pressure for around 65 degrees ambient. You should never see above 55PSI on the low side with the compressor running. Please double check these numbers as well. I may be wrong.

3. Whitepriusguy1

Whitepriusguy1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, thanks for the reply, i will try that and see if i see any diff changes

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a large, but not huge, leak in the AC system.

The ONLY way to know if you have the correct amount in there, is to completely reclaim the system, evacuate to 750 microns and refill using an accurate scale. Unfortunately, that is pointless on a system that has a leak.

Good news is that the most common leak points for AC systems are the service ports, but the Prius' seem to have VERY good systems.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is third gen info, not sure how relevant it is. They don't mention ambient temp, and for low side spec. 21 to 36 psi as normal.

upload_2016-10-2_11-47-26.png

Attached Files:

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Low side readings are more a function of humidity and charge quantity than anything else. Ambient is mostly irrelevant on the low side, as the air temp in the vehicle is the largest factor, as it cools the pressure will fall slightly.

High side pressures are affected by the same and additionally ambient to a much larger extent.