1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Clutch Diagnosis and Replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Station2Station, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Station2Station

Station2Station New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Station's AutoBlog: Gen 1 Prius A/C Clutch Diagnostics and Replacement

Hello,

This is a instructional guide for diagnosing and replacing the A/C clutch for a Gen 1 Toyota Prius. (2001-2003)

Does your a/c light blink and no longer blows cold in your Prius? Is the problem intermittent and difficult to explain to a Toyota service rep?

Here is how you can determine what the issue is and if this guide can help you...

The test car is my boss's 2002 Toyota Prius Gen 1. He complains that after driving sometimes that the a/c will shut off and the a/c light will blink. He resets it by turning the a/c off and then back on again to fix it.

Step 1: Diagnostics

To be sure you are having the common issue everyone else is having we first need to "catch" the problem in action by putting the car in "diagnostic mode"

NOTE: This test should be done in open daylight or a flashlight needs to be flashed onto the solar sensor on the dash of the car.(photo coming soon) If this is not done, a false code will be shown.

Do these steps in order in about 5 seconds.

1. With the car OFF, turn the AC fan knob to OFF.
    2. Turn the car to ON position DO NOT START THE CAR YET
    3. Press the A/C button 3 times.
    4. Turn the A/C fan knob from OFF to AUTO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have done this correctly, the A/C and MAX buttons will blink together a few times. Followed by the A/C light blinking every half second. You are now in AC Diagnostic Mode.

**For this guide we are looking for a "code 22" which will be 2 solid blinks followed by a pause.**

BLINK_BLINK______BLINK_BLINK______BLINK_BLINK____BLINK_BLINK______

**If you get a "code 21", then you need to get into more sunlight or use a flashlight on the solar sensor. The solar sensor is shaded and is very likely NOT malfunctioning.**

So what is a code 22? Code 22 suggests that there is a problem with the A/C Amplifier circuit OR that the the compressor is spinning at 500 RPMs LESS than the crank or more.
    So what does that mean? It means The clutch and/or belt is slipping on the a/c compressor.

Now we need to recreate the error code to confirm. There is actually a definite way to do this.

5. While in Diagnostic Mode AND the A/C is OFF you will need to accelerate,in a safe area such as an on ramp, until the engine is at a high RPM. While the engine is revving high, quickly turn on the A/C.

6. Repeat until you have the trouble code blinking. It should blink twice<pause>twice<pause>.

What we are trying to do is put a heavy load on the A/C to make it slip. The clutch should be able to engage while accelerating like this. If it does not, then the clutch or belt is worn out. You may have actually noticed your A/C cutting off after accelerating hard onto an interstate or while passing someone. Or it can be any random time when the engine may be idling high and the clutch cannot grab ahold soon enough.

So if you have a "Code 22" you will need to proceed to step 2.

I recommend checking your belt first. If it is torn you need to replace is first. Normal wear may or may not cause the Code 22. If it is the belt, you may also have overheating issues on the engine, however if you only have issues with the A/C continue ahead.

Step 2: Dis-assembly and Inspection

Tools you will need:
    21mm lug wrench or factory supplied lug wrench in spare tool bag in trunk
    10mm
    12mm
    Ratchet and 1 foot extension or multiple smaller ones
    14mm wrench
    15mm socket
    2-Claw Puller (available for rent at any auto parts store)
    C-Clip Pliers (also available at any auto parts store)
    Brake Parts cleaner
    Lock-tight (optional, but recommended)
    Flathead screwdriver

Tools that help a lot:
    Impact Driver (not the same as Impact GUN, we want LOW torque if we have to)
    Swivel head for socket
    Rubber mallet

Parts you will need: (at minimum)
    Serpentine belt - Part numbers vary from manufacturer. Pick one up at your local auto store.
    Item 5-Clutch Assembly Toyota Part #88410-47030
    Item 9-Shim kit/Gasket Kit Toyota Part #88335-14020

[​IMG]

Parts can be found HERE

I would also recommend picking up ITEMS 6,7,9. They are really cheap and should you lose or break any of those parts it will be nice to have them there as the car is apart... don't want to be stranded... You should ALSO pickup a new serpentine belt at this time and be sure to order before you work. Your local store may have to order one.

The parts should run you about a total of $220.
    (+/- Tools you may or may not have. ) HOWEVER, the alternative to replacing the clutch is the compressor. Which from the dealer ran upwards $700 + in parts alone. You would need special A/C tools and a new dryer,evaporator, and R134.... Considering all this.. $220 and about an hour and a half of your time... might be worth it to you...

1. Jack the passenger side of the car up and remove the wheel from the car.

[​IMG]
    2. Remove undercarriage covering the A/C compressor. (Found behind the brakes to the back right side.) It is held in by seven 10mm screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3. Remove the coolant overflow reservoir. It can be kind of tight, but it should just pull up and out. (picture coming soon)​
    4. Locate and loosen the 14mm tensioner locking nut. It is the top pulley to the right of the coolant overflow. It is easiest to use a wrench. Do not remove the nut, only loosen it.
    [​IMG]
    5. Locate the belt tensioner bolt. Loosen this bolt and push down on the pulley attached to it until the serpentine belt can be removed. Inspect the belt for cracks, worn grooves, or any abnormal wear. Replace if it is torn, if not, do not reinstall yet and continue ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    6. Remove the 10mm holding the clutch pressure plate. Be careful as you remove this part. There is a tiny washer behind the pressure plate that you need to REUSE. Sorry I did not get a picture of this it seems.

[​IMG]
    7. Use your C-Ring pliers to remove the C-Clip holding the pulley on the shaft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. You now need to attack the puller to the pulley. Put the 15mm socket, bolt side in and tighten the threaded rod to the back to the socket. It helps to have a extra set of hands to hold the puller while the other tightens it.*Note I used a 15mm socket. You may need to find a similar socket that fits. You want the socket to be deep enough to go to the compressor housing and not damage the shaft in the center.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Disconnect the black, two-wire plug going to the magnet.
    [​IMG]

10. Remove the C-Clip holding the magnet to the shaft and remove the magnet. You may or may not need to persuade the magnet to come off. I used a mallet...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the clutch has worn so deep that it had developed large grooves.​
    Compared to the new clutch...​
    [​IMG]
    Step 3: Reassembly and Function Test

1. Using brake parts cleaner and a rag (I used a diaper) clean the oil off of the pressure plate and the pulley. DO NOT GET BRAKE PARTS CLEANER ON OR AROUND THE ORANGE SEAL. IT IS A BEARING AND IT WILL SEIZE! SPRAY ONTO RAG! The parts come shipped with a small coat of oil to keep the parts from rusting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compressor<--Magnet<--Clip<--Pulley<--Clip<--Shims<--Pressure plate<--Bolt

2. Reinstall the magnet and C-clip in reverse order. (sorry I did not take any more pics of this as it would only look the same on camera) Do not forget to plug the magnet electrical harness back in!

TIP: If you cannot get the C-clip to set, be sure to push magnet in as far as you can and use a flat-head screwdriver to carefully knock the clip into the grooves.

3. Reinstall pulley and C-Clip.

4. Put the bolt into the clutch pressure plate. Reuse the old shim washer plus the 3 new shims and slide them onto the bolt. You want the shims to be behind the pressure plate,on the bolt, and against the shaft on the compressor. The reason we shim the clutch is so that the clutch is not always engaged on the pulley. The shims space the pressure plate away from the pulley, so that the only way to engage the A/C is to pull it in with the magnet. (when you turn the A/C on it will turn on the magnet and pull the clutch to the pulley)

5. Reinstall the 10mm bolt. Holding down the pressure plate, tighten the bolt. Be sure not to over tighten it. German torque spec, Gudentyte. (Unfortunately I was unable to find the proper torque specs... otherwise I would MAKE you do it that way)

*To make sure you are properly shimmed, spin the PULLEY. It should spin freely and the pressure plate SHOULD NOT SPIN.* If both the plate and pulley spin, you will need to shim the plate out some more. I used all three shims and it worked just fine. I do not believe you will need more than that.

[​IMG]
    6. Reinstall serpentine belt.
    7. Tighten tensioner with 12mm. Be sure not to over tighten the belt. You want SOME slack in the belt, not tension.
    8. Tighten the 14mm locknut.
    9. Reinstall the coolant overflow by sliding the back side onto the bracket.
    10. Reinstall the splash guard.
    11. Reinstall the wheel.

Do the same test you did earlier and you should never lose you A/C again. Well... it wont be because of the clutch anyway...

It's too hot outside... Fix this...

- William

You're welcome...

Now give the Gen I Prius section a better forum.

Randy Taylor, mroberds, WHCSC and 4 others like this.
  2. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well done, we need more like this for the DIY and customers to be better informed. Keep up the good work.:)

Station2Station and ericw28 like this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, what a great info share/write up. Especially for the Gen I guys (like me). I've done a post like this b4 so I can appreciate how much time and effort went into it. I've said it b4 n I'll say it again, the Prius is better supported online than the Ford Mustang. The Mustang has been dethroned!!!!!!! :)

Thanks Station2Station

Station2Station likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What a great write-up, Station2Station!

It deserves the final polishing touch with the last few details you'll find in the service manual (either paperbound or on techinfo.toyota.com):

• You already recommended buying the C-clips and shims (items 6,7,9) just in case of breakage, but more than that, Toyota calls the C-clips nonreusable, so to be fully by-the-book you would always install the new ones.
    • If the pressure plate is stubborn coming off, there's a special tool for it. From the diagram it looks like the center of the plate is threaded (for a larger diameter bolt than the one holding it to the shaft), so if the pressure plate won't pull off easily, you can just thread the correct-size larger bolt through and turn clockwise to drive the pressure plate off.
    • If you look at the inner edge of the C-clips, both are beveled on one side. On installation, the beveled side has to be facing away from the compressor (out toward the wheel well). In other words, the clip's flat side always goes against the part (magnet or pulley) the clip is meant to hold in place.
    • The "German torque spec gudentyte" is 13.2 newton-meters (9 or 10 foot-pounds), no more. That's not super-tight; it would be easy to overdo it.
    • You really want to select the shim or shims that give you a pressure plate clearance of half a mm (plus or minus 0.15 mm). You don't want the clutch dragging when disengaged, but you don't want it slipping when engaged either (after all, that's why we're doing all this!). The idea is to clamp a dial gauge to a solid fixed point on the engine or compressor, with the point resting on the outer face of the pressure plate. Then apply 12 volts to the magnet coil. You want the dial gauge reading to change by 0.5 mm ideally. If the change is < 0.35 mm go with more shim, if > 0.65 mm then less shim.
    • If you have a belt tension gauge then you want 110 pounds (plus or minus 11) if the belt is brand new. 67 pounds (plus or minus 10) if it's got more than 5 minutes of run time.
    • Torque for that 14 mm tensioner pulley center lock nut is 40 newton-meters (30 foot-pounds) once you've got the belt tension right.
    Those are the only extra points I know of. Thanks for a really detailed write-up!

-Chap

mroberds and Station2Station like this.
  5. Station2Station

Station2Station New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I searched EVERYWHERE FOR THE FSM O_O I have a MASSIVE collection on FSM's for all kinds of cars. I usually just modify other peoples cars for fun. Did JDM motor swaps and what not when I was a Sophmore in High School.

Thank for you the info Chap, it is very appreciated! This is all excellent and important!

It so ended up the magnet wasn't really tight. A good pull or another run with the puller would have sufficed. The specialty tool was hard to find without having to order one and I happen to have pullers on me.

Torque specs. O_O Thank you! Yeah, it came off really easily so I only snugged it on for sure... The rest I tightened as I felt appropriate :confused:

I researched everywhere on the shims. They were VERY VERY VERY thin and only came in one size. What I actually had done is assembled it trying all three washers. (1, then 2, etc.) Three was the magic number (as supplied) the other 2 would drag, yes. I then tested A/C on and off while driving.

I need to get a belt tension gauge as I replace them constantly. 110lbs vs 65lbs sounds like an awful lot....

6. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well done, waste around $500 for used compressor 2 years ago when I could just do that :(

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I finally got a couple code 22s a week or so ago, doing 70 uphill on I-65 in Tennessee. Last night I put a dial indicator on the pressure plate and measured the travel when energizing the clutch magnet. (I didn't want to fuss with the connector down at the compressor so I pulled the CLR MG relay and worked the clutch with a jumper between pins 3 and 5 of the relay socket with the ignition on.)

The spec is 0.5mm ± 0.15mm. Mine traveled 1.34mm. Oops. At that distance the plate isn't even much within the field of the magnet, and at the lower battery voltage with the car on but not ready, it didn't reliably pull in without a little nudge, or it would pull in on one side and not the other. (The 13.8 volts when the system's ready probably makes a difference - I haven't had any slipping trouble except those two times in TN.)

After removing the bolt, the plate slipped easily off, no puller required. Behind it was a single spacer washer 1.5mm thick. I don't even know where that came from! According to the manual the ones in the shim kit should be 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 if I remember right. Could somebody have had this off once before and just slipped in some old washer from the junk drawer?

I'll see what comes in my shim kit when it arrives at the dealer. A 0.1 plus a 0.5 ought to get my clearance within spec.

-Chap

Jakob and mroberds like this.
  8. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Great work!!!!

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hehe. They arrived today. They are very thin, and they might look the same size, but just as the manual says, they're 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 mm. They have no markings, so you need to have a sharp eye, or cheat.
    IMG_20130618_223401.JPG

I had calculated that the 0.5 plus the 0.1 would give me a travel of 0.44, comfortably in spec just a shade on the tight side. That turned out to drag just a tiny bit; the plate would sort of drift around lazily with the engine running when it should be disengaged. I swapped out the 0.1 for the 0.3 to get a 0.64 mm travel just barely within spec on the loose side. That's behaving perfectly. Being on the loose side already it won't stay in spec for long, but I'm sure after it has worn a bit that way, I'll be able to swap the 0.3 back out for the 0.1 and it'll be fine.

Cost of repair parts: shim kit $1.21.

If dealing only with the clutch plate and shims, no need to remove the wheel or disturb the belt, pulley, idler, coolant bottle, etc. Just steer the wheels to the right, drop the right side plastic under cover, loosen the clutch center bolt, slip the plate off, change the shims and reassemble. Piece of cake.

-Chap

mroberds likes this.
  10. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent thread, my vote for a sticky.

Just an observation: I have just recently replaced the a/c clutch on my '02, and whilst looking at the corpse of the old clutch, I decided... that maybe the "wear marks" weren't really wear marks, they looked too regular. So I took my trusty dremel tool and a bronze brush and spent 10 minutes getting rid of all the rust powder. Wipe with a cloth containing some brake solvent, and the "old" part looks like the structure was machined. So, since the procedure was so easy... I put the old part back in place of the new one, and viola, the a/c works like a champ, no blinking light.

Anyone want to buy a gently used almost new a/c clutch?

I now suspect that the REAL culprit is the buildup of rust debris between the faces of the clutch, causing slippage under load.

So the low budget procedure (which only requires partial disassembly of the clutch) is to replace the serpentine belt (good practice, if it looks at all worn) and then carefully clean the clutch faces with bronze wire brush/dremel tool plus cleaner, and reassemble. Excellent writeup, Station2station.

By the way, the part number for the '03 Prius a/c clutch is different than '01/02, is twice the price, and uses a bearing half the thickness of the '01/02, so an '01/02 clutch can't be used on an '03.

I would add that a single drop of LocTite might be recommended for the one bolt holding the outer clutch plate, Gudentyte is a nice spec but things would be ugly if the screw later walked out.

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Station2Station should be a tech writer for auto repair.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Air conditioners with magnetic clutches have been around long enough there isn't much mystery left about the real culprit. The faces wear, and the distance the plate has to pull in to engage increases beyond the spec. There are pretty much always shims you can change to put it back in spec, and you're done, for a hundred thousand more miles.

Measure the travel, choose the right new shim(s) to bring it back to (for this compressor) 0.5 ±0.15 mm, put the bolt back in, and you won't be looking at it again for a good long time. The shim kit is a buck and the job is ten minutes.

If you're having symptoms, you'll probably measure your current travel to be out at twice the spec or more. Mine was 1.34 mm when my symptoms showed up (at well over 200,000 miles). That far out of spec, if you don't fix the travel, anything else you do (dremeling the surface, spreading with peanut butter, whatever) might make a difference for a while—who am I to say it couldn't?—but you'll be kind of ignoring the real culprit.

Toyota doesn't advocate loctite for the center bolt, but (as covered already in this thread) they do give a correct torque for it, not just "gudentyte". Shouldn't be any trouble if that's followed.

-Chap

13. LeeD

LeeD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Please sticky this thread...

14. Marty2go

Marty2go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If the A/C light is blinking and can be relit by turning it off and on then it is for sure he shims that need to be thinner. I'm sure.

15. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did this repair, this afternoon, on my '01. This thread was very helpful - thanks!

A few notes:

The assembly will want to spin when you go to remove that center 10mm bolt. I tried engaging the clutch with a jumper wire, and holding the belt, but that didn't work - the pulley slipped on the belt when I used a ratchet on the bolt. The Black and Teal Book of Truth shows a special tool to hold the clutch plate, and Autozone rents one that has three radially-adjustable pins, but I couldn't totally convince myself that that tool would work on my clutch plate - I think the pins are supposed to go into holes on the plate, which I didn't have. I spent some more time Googling, and found this nugget in a repair procedure for another car (a 2006 Ram 2500 pickup, of all things, that also used a Denso compressor):

Use a strap-type oil filter wrench to hold the clutch plate.

I had a wrench like that lurking in my toolbox, last used on my old Ford, 12+ years ago. :D It was big enough to fit the common Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter. I put it over the clutch plate, and it held just fine while I loosened the bolt. I measured the plate and it is about 94 mm or 3.7" diameter, if you're shopping for a wrench.

I'm about 98% sure the clutch plate has never been off of mine, and I found the same single thick washer that Chap did. Mine was about 1.3 mm thick. Using all three of the new shims to get 0.9 mm put me on the tight side of the acceptable range.

(I don't know, but I suspect that maybe Denso designs the clutch with way more pull than it will ever need, and then puts that large washer in there to keep it from dragging or locking up when things are new. When things are not new, they supply thinner shims as a replacement.)

The back of the clutch plate and the face of the clutch were rusty on mine. I don't think it was hurting anything, but I did wire-brush the rust and wipe them both off.

When measuring the movement, jumping the pins at the CLR MG relay socket, with the key on, is IMHO the way to go. It's a lot easier to reach than the connector at the compressor. The relay socket is tenacious; it helps to use a wide, flat thing (KEY OFF) to pry up between the socket and the relay, to start to remove it. Once it's several mm up, you can grab the relay and pull it out by hand. (The relay has a couple of pips on the outside of the casing, and I bet there's a tool you can get at the Super Denso Store in Akihabara that uses those pips to remove it, but I just used a screwdriver. :D ) The pins you want to jump are the ones that the copper-colored prongs on the relay went into; I used a short piece of wire with 1/4" push-ons crimped onto each end.

The part number for the shims is still 88335-14020, "GASKET KIT-OVERHAUL". No, I don't know why they call it a gasket kit, either. I paid $1.34 plus tax in spring 2019 from my favorite local dealer.

The Hazard Fraught Harbor Freight Tools dial indicator (63521, currently $17) and magnetic base (63663, $13) worked OK for me for this job. The magnetic base isn't great at sticking to steel things, but in this case, I just set it on the driveway under the car. If you do this, don't get in or out of the car, or lean on the car, until you're done measuring, because the suspension movement will affect the reading.

(And we know about going in with one 20% off coupon, buying the first thing, taking it out to the car, and going back in with another 20% off coupon for the second thing, right? Right. Good.)

I ran the engine and took it for a short drive and the A/C seems to be working normally. Mine was not failing all the time, though; it'd only quit when I was blowing down the Interstate on a really hot day, or sometimes when I was accelerating on an uphill on-ramp or something. So it will take me a little while to verify it, but I have confidence.

WHCSC likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad it worked for you.

One more cheap tool that can make the job more pleasant is an old-fashioned remote start button. They used to sell these things, probably still do, just a big pushbutton on several feet of wire with little clamp terminals at the ends. You could clip it over the starter solenoid terminals (back when your car had a starter solenoid and a starter) and use it to check starting while you watch under the hood.

In this case, you can just clip the leads to the CLR MG relay socket terminals and take the button around with you to click the A/C clutch in and out while you watch.

People who have an impact wrench can use that for loosening the center bolt. It is a very small bolt and certainly doesn't need a power tool for either loosening or tightening, but light application of an impact wrench in the loosen direction can knock it loose without spinning the clutch, just from the element of surprise. :)