1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Clutch - Safe Lubricant?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Pri-Eye, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Pri-Eye

Pri-Eye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What lubricants, if any, are safe to apply to the A/C Clutch?

Unfortunately, a junkyard sprayed PB Catalyst all over it before they sent it to me.

station2stationautoblog-blogspot-com/2012/07/gen-1-prius-ac-clutch-diagnostics-and-html says that Brake Cleaner will cause the clutch's pulley bearing to seize.

All comments appreciated!

#1 Pri-Eye, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Why are you replacing your clutch? It needed more than simple re-shimming for some reason?

If you can re-shim the one you have, that leads to the easiest answer: just do that, and ignore the clutch you got from the salvage yard.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much for you to do at this stage. If their spray didn't get into the bearing, then put it on and don't worry about it. If it did get in, then put it on and don't worry until it needs replacement again, then don't get the replacement from the same yard. You don't know which case applies, so don't worry about it. You'll find out if/when the bearing fails.

If the bearing were to totally seize, it would mess up the snout on your compressor and that would be expensive, but I wouldn't expect that to happen without any warning. I'd pay attention to any developing noises in there ... don't just turn up the radio.

-Chap

3. Pri-Eye

Pri-Eye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car sat for a month and the A/C clutch and pulley rusted in place.

Can I just remove them, clean up the rusted surfaces and reshim it?

Anyone know if a belt from a Gen 2 would work to bypass the compressor temporarily?

#3 Pri-Eye, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh dear ... I guess that would depend on just what rusted to what and how badly. Where did the car sit?

I have read on this forum of people doing exactly that.

-Chap

5. Pri-Eye

Pri-Eye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sat in a car port for a month. The Pulley and Magnet were rusted together. They can not spin after cleaning with a wire brush.

I replaced the pulley, magnet and clutch pressure plate using new shims [88335-14020] and new snap rings [88365-87201 & 90099-07065].