1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C compressor & condenser change DIY?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cessna157, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Cessna157

Cessna157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greetings all! I've been following along on the other A/C thread going, but wanted to ask some specific questions.

2007 Prius with 126,000 miles, living in central Florida where A/C is used 10 months of the year. Noticed 2 months ago it was blowing warm air. Took it to a Toyota dealer for leak check. They did a sniff test but couldn't find anything. Recharged with some dye and sent me on my way.

Now, 2 months later it was blowing warm again. Took it to an independent shop. They found dye leaks at the compressor and condenser. Said it'd be $2100 to fix.

I purchased a new compressor kit and condenser for $500. My question is: is changing these 2 parts simple enough for a standard DIY? I don't have a vacuum pump or gauge manifold, but those can be acquired quite easily.

Looking at Techinfo it seems I might have to drop the front bumper to access the condenser.

Thanks for any help/tips!

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't be afraid to drop the front bumper. I have our bumper off. The hardest part is where it attaches next to the fender. I pulled out from the bottom (of the bumper) and the sides just popped out of the clips. I got cellophane and a rubber band to cap off the headlamp washer line.

No experience with AC disassembly/reassembly. But used a manifold gauge I got from Harbor Freight to remove excess freon from our '04 Sienna.