1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C controller different versions 10-11 vs 12-15

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BiaoH, Jul 27, 2022.

1. BiaoH

BiaoH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So finally got my 2010 Gen3 to run and it's pretty good. Upon test I found two little issues. First the A/C controller has a button not working (the auto button) which I like to use so searched on ebay and found one pretty cheap from a 2012 donor. Received today and tried to put on but the plug does not go in. They are both 8 pin and looks almost the same (some buttons have slightly different marks) but the 12-15 version has a little stickout in the connector that prevents the 10-11 version plug from going in. Wondering anyone has fitted the 12-15 controller onto a 10-11 before? Or I have to buy one from a 10-11 prius?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would say for ease of your sanity you might want to find the 2010-2011 there was a change in stuff 12 13 somewhere in there or lots of plugs and things all of a suddenly magically changed for seemingly no reason. If the wire colors are the same in your comfortable and it's just the plastic sidekick on the gray plug or what have you then you could cut and crimp connector the connector you want on the end of your wires but if the wire colors start getting different than you've got to go to the service manual and turn each wire into the other color mark them and then crimp them up easily enough but it's easier for me to go to a 2010 car and cut the part off there's thousands of them around here so that's just my situation yours may be different

3. BiaoH

BiaoH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the problem is that I have no idea about the wire color of the 2012-15 version as the purchased part does not come with wire. All I can notice is that the 12-15 version has a slightly different jack that prevents the 10-11 plug from going in. I assume there was some update to the hardware so they did it in this way to prevent fault. I ordered another 10-11 controller it's just $30 so not worth the risk to me unless someone has done this before.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Exactly 30 bux is not worth it