1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C design/engineering question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by timo27, Jul 26, 2009.

1. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the A/C, I understand it runs directly from the battery (no belt). I'm wondering, does it operate otherwise like that of a typical car? I.e., in a "regular" car the A/C is either on or off; you adjust the temp by warming up the cooled air via the heater core, and thus, if it is on, you might as well set the temp to your liking, since it doesn't save any fuel to warm the cooled air up.

Is this different in the Gen III? Does it work more like a typical non-automotive unit, shutting off when you reach the set temp and then cycling back on as needed?

(Apologies if this has been covered previously--I couldn't find it).
    Thanks
    Tim

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Timo,

No, it does not. Its a feed-back control system. If the setpoint (you set) is well below the actual temperature in the car it will come on full speed, and as the car cools the compressor speed and fan speed reduce until the AC power just coasts along at a low output maintaining the temperature/humidity. Its more like a houshold unit, but its continously variable system, not one that is off and on. If you drive around a corner, out of the shade into the sun, it will automatically increase its cooling power.

1 person likes this.
  3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When initially scrutinizing the A/C system in the GenII, those of us in the HVAC and Building Automation industries were truly surprised to find that the Prius A/C really does function like a true commercial system.

As you said, Tim, warming cold air is really inefficient*. So the Prius doesn't do that; instead it simply cools the air only as much as is needed. Likewise, the speed of the fan and the vents employed vary based on demand.

And you have the 2010 which incorporates additional improvements.

*There are valid reasons in the HVAC world for dual-duct systems even though they really are some of the most consumption-heavy heating/cooling systems.

1 person likes this.
  4. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Tim,

I can verify that you can noticeably influence your fuel consumption by setting the AC at a different temp. Put it on MAX COLD and you will see your consumption skyrocket. I always put it at 23 C and I do not notice the difference in consumption as compared to AC off.

5. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I find it curious that the AC compressor motor runs on high voltage DC, rather than AC from the inverter. Is the motor brushless? Surely with all the cutting edge technology used on this car, they would not use a DC motor with brushes that need to be changed periodically?
    Any Toyota Electrical Techs out there?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The A/C (air-conditioning) compressor motor is a three-phase AC (alternating current) motor. The A/C inverter is a separate section of the Power Control Unit (also called 'the inverter' but there's a lot of power electronics in there besides MG2's inverter).

A 'DC brushless' motor is a permanent magnet synchronous AC motor with the necessary control electronics integrated into the motor housing. However, it's easier to cool all the power electronics with one coolant loop integrated into the single PCU. Small DC brushless motors (like the electric water pumps) don't dissipate enough power to require liquid cooling of the electronics, but the A/C compressor requires a couple of kilowatts of power!

1 person likes this.
  7. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah, that makes perfect sense. So the AC Compressor Motor has is own, dedicated inverter?
    I'm really dying to see the schematics for the Prius electronics!!!
    Even a peek would be nice...

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mike's explanation underlines a common point of confusion. All motors are AC. A true DC motor would be a solenoid - all that would happen is that the motor would pull into one position and stop. What differentiates motors, from an AC/DC perspective, is how they are commutated. DC and universal motors use brushes to produce an AC voltage. AC motors use the inherent alternation of the line voltage. Brushless DC motors use electronics to produce AC. If the electronics are moved to a separate box then it becomes an AC motor powered by an inverter. In the end, all of the motors are driven by an alternating magnetic field.

Tom

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Tom is correct, in that currently all DC motors that you will meet are powered by AC, or more correctly, the fields that drive them are alternating.

Careful though Tom with the "all", as there are motors coming to market that do not alternate the fields. I don't pretend to understand them, but they use "strange" physical properties that cause the parts in the motor (the magnetic media) to invert the fields, not electronics or brushes. The ones coming soon are micro-motors, but larger ones are in the works. ;)

10. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The 2010 AC is way better than the gen 2's. My 2006 had trouble keeping me cool when the outside temp went much above 90F. It's been over 100 the last few days (with bright sun) and the car has remained a comfortable 72F without appearing to try hard. This is easily the best car AC I have ever exoeruenced,

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The block diagram about the A/C inverter is shown at page-14 of following PDF.
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid02.pdf
    The A/C compressor is shown on the following PDF.
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid06.pdf

Anyway, the site has a lot of good information.
    AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAL ARTICLES

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tim

I'm late to this party and the technical questions have already been answered.

To clarify: the Prius A/C, either 2nd generation or current 3rd generation, is truly variable speed. Rather than use a magnetic clutch, like on my FJ Cruiser, to cycle the compressor on or off, the compressor is on almost all the time

The variable speed feature, which you will also find in the top-line Mitsubishi Mr Slim inverter heat pump ductless wall mount units, dramatically increases efficiency. The Bryant Evolution in my home has a two speed outdoor unit and a variable speed furnace fan, that also dramatically increases efficiency

The "reheat" used on conventional automotive A/C is a good way to dehumidify. It sounds counter-intuitive to cool AND heat air at the same time, but that is the only way an on/off compressor can be used

My 2004 Prius had superior A/C and dehumidifying capability, compared to my FJ Cruiser

jay