1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C does not turn on in hot weather (2 pm, about 100 degrees)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jurma1a, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Jurma1a

Jurma1a New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius, with 300,000 miles in it, mostly highway and freeway. A/c has been working great up until two days ago. All of a sudden after I started the car the a/c would not turn on at all - no noise, nothing. The car drove fine and had no check engine lights on it or anything like that. That was in the middle of the day, with a 100 degrees outside. The next morning in cool weather the a/c turned on just fine. The blower motor makes a humming/rattling sound, again, started just a couple of days ago, before the incident with the a/c. Also, I use the buttons on the steering wheel to control a/c. I would appreciate any insight the collective mind might have.

2. Calimobber

Calimobber Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maybe your fan is failing and just stuck. You can bang on the fan if its not on and see if it spools up and starts. It should be right around the inside cabin air filter.

3. JerryScript

JerryScript Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Have you tried controlling it with the MFD? If it works from the MFD but not the steering wheel, then It's most likely your clock spring, the coiled wires in your steering wheel. It's a relatively cheep fix if you DIY, and there are several YouTube videos showing how it's replaced.