1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C doesnt work, makes constant hum, warm air works, recently replaced 12v

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Howard c, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Howard c

Howard c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    i recently replaced my 12v battery about 2 months ago, dont think i used the A/C until today and realize that it doesn't work. it also makes a constant hum sound. the heat works still, and fan works still.

any idea what might be causing this? related to 12v?

1SteelerFan likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure. Kinda suspect the 12 volt change isn't related. You could raise the hood, listen if you can hear the compressor, locate and look at the sight glass. The latter's a little window on one of the refrigerant lines. If the charge is ok you should just see an occasional bubble whiz by while the compressor's running, and a swirl of bubbles when it stops.

3. Howard c

Howard c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    thanks, so i brought the car to service @ toyota, they charged $130 just to look at it! o well, so they say the A/C condenser is leaking and they have to replace the A/C condensor and recharge system which is quoted to be $780 with labor included.

is this reasonable or is this something I should shop around other bodyshops and ask? It looks like i can buy a new A/C condenser on ebay for $~80 , possible to buy myself and ask a shop to replace it?

any advice would be appreciated.

4. Howard c

Howard c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    what exactly is a "recharge system"?

5. 1SteelerFan

1SteelerFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably needs a a/c charge. I have a 2005 Prius I put envirosafe refrigerant in it , and I get 40 degrees coming out of the vent. It's been in the 90's here in Fl

6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Take to an actual refrigeration shop, (an A/C shop). You'll probably get a price close to 1/2 that amount.