1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Freon Leak? (Based on Smell)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tonyBBQ, Jul 12, 2019.

1. tonyBBQ

tonyBBQ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my water pump replaced on my '07 with 200k miles on it.

The mechanic said he noticed that when the air was on it smelled like Freon. Isn't Freon odorless?

My car is also pretty gross and smells like old food so I wonder if that was it. I honestly don't use my A/C much so I'm not too worried.

Any way of diagnosing a leak without taking the A/C system apart? Anyone else heard of the Freon leaking into the ventilation system? Maybe just a dirty cabin air filter?

Thanks a lot,

Brandon

#1 tonyBBQ, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not aware of an odor associated with refrigerant.

You can use sniffer machines (expensive!) or ultrasonic detectors (cheaper, but not always easy to use) to find leaks in progress. Once the pressure is flat, you'd have to recharge it with something. You can charge with UV-reactive dye added and then search with a blacklight. There are other techniques but those 3 cover a lot.

The leak can be in the evaporator, venting into the cabin. Usually it's something else.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean your car bro... If someone wants a broke down car in 10 different ways then make sure they never clean it. Likewise if someone wants the best most reliable car ever: clean it so often you know 10 different ways you can fix the tiniest most minor of problems.

4. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Refrigerant doesn’t smell. If there was a leak, the system would be empty. A/C would not blow COLD or even turn the Compressor on. The only thing you smell is air being drawn in through the Cabin Air filter. It’s located behind the Lower glove box. It probably should be changed if you’ve never done it.

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never smelled it, and I had an evaporator leak in my 4 runner. I discovered it when I put my halide detector by a vent with the AC running. Only place I could find a leak.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my house the A/C repair guy broke the freon line and there was no smell. Safety issue due to displacement of air.