1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C gone!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by delrey, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 and 50k
    then your nor out warranty....
    if i am correct

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    US Bumper to bumper warranty is 3y/36k miles. Powertrain is 5y/60k. AC would likely fall under 3/36.

3. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Replace it yourself. I had a Toyota pickup that got a hole in the condenser, and was quoted over $700 by an independent shop to fix it. I went to a parts store and got a replacement for $130 and with a couple hours, I had it replaced. The compressor was acting flaky since it developed the leak.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    replacing a condenser with a big hole in it yourself is one thing- there is no refrigerant left in the lines. replacing a compressor, presuming everything else is working, dumps refrigerant into the air that could otherwise be recovered. this is a violation of EPA regs that carries a $10,000 fine if you're caught.

not that people seem to give a crap, but... just so it's out there.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my bad

6. valhudgens

valhudgens New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am having problems with my a/c! I have a 2008 Prius. Intermittedly, the a/c will work. We have owned this car for a year, this is the first hot, hot weather we have had it in. We took it to the dealership and they said it was fine, it has stopped cooling again,now the service engine light is coming on, flashing. No matter if we adjust the temperature, the speed of the fan, interior/exterior air, auto or not, it just blows really hot air, we drove over 5 miles yesterday and it came on right as we were pulling into our driveway. This is so frustrating.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the check engine light comes on there is certainly a problem! If at all possible take it straight to a dealer so that they can extract the failure codes; when you get there don't even shut the car OFF, leave it running in Park until they have a look at it. If they tell you they cain't find nuthin' wrong, suggest the inverter coolant pump. If all they can give you in return is a dumb look, take it to another dealer.

8. valhudgens

valhudgens New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

Richard,
    Thank you so much for this information! I am on it! Hope it works!:cheer2:

9. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Everyone,

I used to cruise this site a lot more. Then all these newer options and models came around and I started to feel like I was old hat. I had gotten great advice here in the past for my AUX battery replacement. So I came back with another problem to present to all my cyber experts. Please reply if you have anything to add.

I live in San Diego and avoid using my Air Conditioner. Not because it the weather is always so pleasant. But because I think it robs about 15% of my fuel efficiency. (As I am an aspiring hyper-miler) So it was actually WARM enough the other day to feel the need for the most efficient cabin cooling system on the 2005 market to improve my comfort level. (sorry for the run on sentence, it just felt so good) If it is over 80 degrees, and I am driving over 40 MPH. I will use the AC to cool the cabin.

Anyway… I turn on the AC and I get no cooling. No fault lights. No indications whatsoever. No cool air filling my cabin with refreshment.

I tried all the settings. I even turned on the heat. I got warmer. Back to cool AC and nothing. Nada… Ziltch.

So I know a guy that knows a guy that claims to be a Prius tech. He said that the computers shut down things when the water pump no longer moves coolant around the system. Or something like that. He said that the computers never warn you when it happens. It is just the way they are programmed. The systems start killing systems in order to keep the engine running cool.

Yeah. Sounded suspicious to me too. I have considered contacting my second cousin’s husband who IS a legit Prius tech. In order to find some insight into this problem. I would like to avoid playing this card. Since I have access to such wizards of all things Prius.

So… If you can assist in anyway. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

P.S. If I should post this in a new thread. I will. Just let me know.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is already posted in another thread.

Tom

11. Skybar2

Skybar2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so I've read about all the condenser issues - bad placement, rock damage, etc. I have the same issue: 2007 Prius, 42K (but only 34 months!) with a leak in the condenser. Paid over $100 for the dealer repair to attempt to re-charge, then said it was a leak in the condenser; no detail ("hole" or "split" or anything) but did say that the condeser was located in front and low and could have been damaged by hitting something. $$$ to repair. No one seems to have posted any follow-up as to challenging Toyota on the faulty design issue. Guess since its not a safety problem they don't really care?

Thanks for this Chat site; I've used it a lot to read up but just registered today so I could post! Hope I did this right...

12. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I'd like to sympathize with all of you... shit happens. Let me ask you this then: Should Toyota fix cracks in windshields caused by flying rocks?

The answer would be no. That's what insurance is for.

Same thing applies. The condenser is basically a radiator. Radiators are typically placed in front of your car, to cool down whatever coolant its trying to cool. They are not designed to withstand rocks hitting it at 60mph or more without damage. Same applies to a windshield.

I can understand a factory defect being covered, but not accidental damage.

Yes, it would be great if no one had to pay for anything, since the world revolves around money, but sometimes shit happens and you just have to bite the bullet. (and think of ways to mitigate the risk of damage: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...lle-reinforcement-c-condenser-protection.html)

As for what caused the damage, perhaps you can ask the dealer to point out exactly what caused the damage. If turns out to be a factory defect, then you should call toyota corporate and complain and perhaps they'll pick up part of the bill.