1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Got my Car 2 running good - 47mpg around town. But I can't go far because the A/C doesn't work. Since it's been sitting two years, I figure the freon leaked out.

Reading old posts here, I did the diagnostic sequence - key on, press AC button 3 times in 5 seconds, then to Auto. No blinks at all. Light comes on and stays on.

Hooked up gauges, both sides at 0. Locate fuse CLR MG, identify which is power (right corner, closest to front of car) and jump it to others until I get clack from compressor (larger terminal on far left). Connect a can of freon and start engine, then jump the fuse. Hear noise, grinding, but I try to pump in some freon. Don't see anything coming through the site window. Start smelling heat. yank jumper.

Pull cover to see the compressor, replace my jumper, try to start the car, hear a louder grind as the engine tries to start, then dies. Repeat, same thing.

My guess is the compressor is froze up? It turned when I jumped it after the car was running, but the engine can't overcome it from a dead start.

This car has 209k miles. Could it just be a shim issue? I'm thinking worn shims don't allow it to grip enough, whereas this seems to be gripping too much. Maybe it's just a bad clutch? I have a complete compressor in my parts car, although it probably was under water two years ago. Is swapping out clutches much work? Or, do I need to swap the entire compressor? Or should I just bite the bullet and replace the entire compressor?

Is it odd that the car isn't throwing codes? (or at least it wasn't before I tried all this, and I'd run the AC during my test drives.). Is it odd that it doesn't flash the AC button when I complete that diagnostic sequence?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Slip the belt off and try turning two things (with no power, no jumper, clutch released).

Can you easily turn the belt pulley part of the clutch by hand, leaving the center, clutch-plate part stationary? Smoothly, quietly? If not, the pulley bearing is toast, replace the clutch.

Can you easily turn the center, clutch-plate part by hand, leaving the belt pulley part stationary? Smoothly, quietly? If not, the compressor is toast, replace the compressor (and as much of the rest of the system as you can't flush all the debris out of).

mroberds likes this.
  3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you, sir! You are a blessing to this forum.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Frozen compressor - my luck. With a frozen compressor, how can I flush out anything? If I replace the compressor, then flush, doesn't the debris get in the new compressor?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, you'll want to obtain a compressor, and (at least) a receiver/dryer.

You could have a shop recover the refrigerant that's now in the system, and if you wanted to, do the dismounting of the old compressor and mounting of the new one yourself, which could save a bit of labor, but not really that much (it's a pretty simple four-bolt on-and-off), go back to the shop without reconnecting the lines yet (ends plugged off), let them run a flush machine and then finish the hookup, evacuate, and charge.

Or just let the shop do all of it, as the labor of r&r the compressor isn't that big a piece of the whole job, and you wouldn't be making two trips.

If there's no grinding noise when the clutch is released, you can just leave the A/C turned off while driving around until it's fixed. Or unplug the clutch magnet, or pull the relay out temporarily.

If it's noisy even with the clutch released, you can pick up the shorter belt for a Gen 2, and install it just around the crankshaft, idler, and water pump, until ready to complete the repair.

mroberds likes this.
  6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thanks, I've only driven it about 10 miles since I put the battery in, and when the AC didn't blow cold I turned it off. Didn't hear any grinding either way. I expect that's because there's no freon in it (gauges register 0), which is why I had to jumper the CLR MG relay to get it to spin.

Being a cheap A$$, I'll probably check the compressor in my parts car to see if it spins free. If both pulleys spin easy, is there anything else I can do to confirm whether it's good or not before I swap it in? I'd probably install it myself along with the dryer, just to save the labor and whatever they'd mark up the parts. The rest of your advice, letting them flush, evacuate, hook up, and charge sounds good. I didn't know what was involved with flushing. So I don't get ripped, how many hours labor or estimated cost for them to do that? From what I read, it doesn't require much freon/oil.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe one of the A/C shop members will post with a better estimate.

I am not sure how they deal with the dryer while flushing. Maybe I would take the old element out, and just give them the new one in its package, to put in after pumping all the flush juice through....

mroberds likes this.
  8. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If it is a burnt compressor then you replace the whole condenser. Highly highly recommend replacing the expansion valve. If money is issue and I don’t like telling anyone backyard DIY method of flushing lines to clean them out. You can either buy air conditioning solvent recommended . You are supposed to use dry nitrogen as your propellant your air supply but most likely you don’t have access to that then everybody does the horrible thing and uses shop air that also combines with lots of moisture. And then there’s the real low budget of course not recommended but works. 99% isopropyl alcohol. If I was stuck with very little money and no tools and I had to make something work this is what I would do. Go look at my photo album I have lots of detailed pictures of the inside of condensers inside of lines and receiver dryers showing you burn out contamination from a compressor. Then you might be able to rent a vacuum pump from when your local auto parts stores I know they do that in some states leave it on overnight don’t listen to the guys who say 30 minutes or only get it to 29 inches of vacuum in your case if using alcohol that absorbs a lot of moisture and shop air that has tons of water in it leave your vacuum pump on overnight.

mroberds, wjtracy and ronlewis like this.
  9. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some videos I posted on YouTube here’s two of them on Prius

Second video is on performing a load test

10. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yep, the local AutoZone lends out vacuum pumps. You gotta pay for it when you get it and they give you your money back when you return it. Now that I see how easy it is to replace these units, I'm just getting a used one from LKQ with a six-month warranty. Buy the bottle of AC Flush at AutoZone when I pick up the pump. Expansion valve sounds good - don't I have to disconnect that to flush the lines? And a dryer; is there an orifice tube filter? Follow the directions on the can, replace all the o-rings, put the pump on it overnight, and see how long it holds a charge.

11. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thx. Stupid question: when a vacuum pump has all the air out, how does it make any other debris in the lines move? I'm not sure if the compressor is "burnt" or just bled out and dried up sitting in my driveway the last two years. Everything else about the car is so well maintained, and from what I can surmise about the previous owner, she wouldn't drive around without AC, I figure it was working when the HV battery died, and after hearing Toyota's price, she made the hard decision to auction the car off vs fixing it. Maybe I luck out and the lines, condenser aren't all gunked up.

But, they probably are - that's my luck - and the AC Flush in a can probably doesn't work, maybe it works a couple of months then burns up again. Maybe I get LKQ to replace it and replace everything else then. I'm out nothing but a little labor and can of freon.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not a stupid question. One of the effects you want is not just getting "debris" out, but also air and moisture. Get the pressure low enough in there, and water's boiling temperature will fall below the ambient temperature, so it vaporizes. Depending on the ambient temperature, that has to be a very low pressure, down near the limits of what you can even get, except with a good quality and meticulously maintained vacuum pump. Working on a hotter day helps, as you don't have to drop the boiling temperature as much.

Even then, as you've rightly guessed, the water has vaporized, but there really isn't any flow to carry the last of the vapor over to the vacuum pump connection. You're just waiting for it to very slowly diffuse through the system and find its way out the pump.

There's an extra caution if you're pulling vacuum on a system that hasn't just been flushed, where you're counting on keeping existing oil in it. Then you have twin possibilities of not pulling a vacuum that's deep enough, or pulling one that's too deep. At a certain depth of vacuum, you'll also be able to boil away some of the oil. The oil is usually a mixture of components with different boiling points, so what that ends up doing is changing the composition of the oil.

If the system has all been flushed and you'll be adding new oil with the charge, after evacuating, then of course that's not a concern. Otherwise a good micron gauge is recommended to make sure you are pulling enough vacuum to collect the water, but not so much you're affecting the oil.

mroberds likes this.
  13. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is one of those cases when you were asking questions with so little understanding of what needs to be done I’m afraid to give you any answers or recommendations because you may misunderstand and do something wrong . I guess I need to make some videos on these subjects and procedures I just don’t have time because I’m always so busy from morning tonight every day for the last 30 years even pulling out my cell phone to take a video means I’m losing money and I may have to turn down a job because I wasted time making a video. But what I can recommend find several large manufacturers of air-conditioning flush go to their website and I’m very sure I remember seeing they produce small how to videos watch several of them by different manufacturers until you are confident you know what you’re doing .. like right now my only time to respond is well I’m in my car driving from one job to the next job as soon as I park both hands are on tools with no time to talk . A vacuum pump only removes air and a small amount of moisture some of the YouTube or’s in their videos tell you a vacuum pump removes moisture or all the moisture this is not true and since you do not have a good set of gauges you do not own a micron gauge and you do not know how to use one this is why I recommend somebody who is doing their own work to leave the vacuum pump on overnight and watch videos from vacuum pump manufacturers like yellow jacket and Appian

14. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is no possibility of boiling away the oil there’s no such thing as too deep of a vacuum .
    If I had the oil on a boiling pot under a deep vacuum hundred microns 50 µm at the same time I raise the temperature to the oil to 300+ degrees yes then I would be distilling or you could use another term or word cracking like manufacturing gasoline by removing the lower pressure point distill and hydrocarbons from the oil . But now we’re getting into the laboratory and manufacturing and splitting up the molecules out of the oil to retrieve lighter distilled hydrocarbons .
    But we are not in a laboratory we are working with cars that are at ambient temperatures using oil‘s that have a very high pressure point before they start distilling at higher temperatures .
    That’s why I have a vacuum pump that is capable of pulling all the way down to 3 µm.
    Don’t believe the Internet myth about vacuum and oil . Otherwise we will start having to read tea leaves, sacrificing virgins in a volcano , Study the innards of a sacrificed chicken, and read the stars and moon to make sure we pull our vacuum at the correct time so the gods are not angry. Did I forget to mention we have to inprison or execute the messenger that said the sun does not rotate around earth .

15. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here’s some videos from the manufacture is a vacuum pumps and other things dealing with vacuum and air-conditioning tools . Scan through their entire website for all their videos this is the same stuff my dad taught me over 40 years ago when I was a kid . This is the same stuff my dad learned when he was a young man from an older refrigeration guy who learned it when he was a young man so how far back are we going to go and why is the automotive technicians of today so ignorant.

BluVac Professional Digital Vacuum Gauge – AccuTools

This last link is a video I made showing different vacuum pumps and different methods when using a dedicated blue back pro micron gauge with no refrigerant manifold

Through these this brand manufactures you will have more than enough information to research about vacuum and micron gauges and pulling vacuum you could spend a week this is all very old information there was actually some very good books on vacuum that pertain to all this information that was written back in about 1959. This is all basic first semester education stuff if somebody actually took out the time to get a formal education instead of learning on customers cars and breaking things and screwing up and charging them for their mistakes that is not learning learning how to be a screwup and getting better by attrition.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have a horse of my own on this track, so I'm content to supply a reference to page 33 of this presentation from a manufacturer of vacuum pumps and micron gauges, and step out of the way. If you're in a position to supply references showing that this manufacturer is talking tea leaves and volcano virgins, great, we'll have the info together in one thread.

I noticed in that video you made, in two places (1:05 and 1:58) you are treating a vacuum below 500 microns and above 200 as being ok for recharge. That would be not inconsistent with the presentation linked above, as they only warn of a possibility of degassing from the compressor oil below 200 microns.

mroberds likes this.
  17. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you’re talking about degassing in the reference of old stuck refrigerant mixed inside the old dirty oil that may also possibly have moisture in it and your degassing the old refrigerant and degassing moisture that is exactly what should be going on .
    Or referring to degassing as in vapor rising or evaporating and removing refrigerant oil that is not taking place when you’re getting below 200 µm .
    And when you’re dealing with low temperature refrigeration or lower temperature cryogenic refrigeration you must go below 200 µm so when you turn off and stabilize your well below 300 or 250 µm . Automotive systems are pretty forgiving below 500 is fine GM was actually pretty sloppy and wanted to make it easy on their tax so they even stated as High as 700 µm I guess it cuts down on their time and makes it more profitable to cheat a little.
    Unfortunately when dealing with body shops they leave the line sets after removed unplug for many days even weeks completely saturating the refrigerant oil and air-conditioning system. You’re lucky if you could get it below 1000 µm because you’ll never boil out all the moisture even after doing dry nitrogen triple VAC and sweep. It’s just a chemical molecular make up of the PAG or ESTER oil makes it so attractive to bond on to the H2O molecules and not release them under normal vacuum procedures. That was the good thing about the old R12 and R22 refrigerant‘s they used mineral oil that was roughly 10,000 times less hydroscopic than ESTER or PAG oil.
    And this is the purpose of a micron gauge you can actually read the moisture level and watch it boil off and level out to the point where you know you either have some or you don’t . That’s the purpose of a micron gauge. Gives you definitive data for pass or fail. Since my dad started my education using a micron gauge at the age of 12 experimenting on vacuum chambers for physics projects and then introduced me into refrigeration and air conditioning. I could go up to 100 technicians while they’re working on a car hand them a micron gauge and say here are use this. Probably 99 of them will say what is it what is it for and how do you use it. Maybe only one might know what it’s for but never used one. And that’s the problem with this trade.

18. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    UPDATE:

I bought a salvage compressor (6mo. warranty from LKQ) for $100, borrowed a pump from Autozone, bought an o-ring set and PAG oil. Either the compressor's plastic compressor showed up broke, or I broke it, so I took the connector and harness off the old compressor and spliced it in. Got it bolted up and lines connected, then notice that the pulley on this one is wider than the original. Still seems to work. Can I swap those from the original? It was locked up, but I figure that wouldn't affect the pulleys.

Started pulling a vacuum. After a few minutes, both gauges bottomed out. After another hour, I wanted to see if it held vacuum, so I closed the manifold valves, but left the valves open down at each pressure line connection, then turned off the pump. The gauges said the vacuum leaked away, within a few seconds. Try again, but it wouldn't pull a vacuum, so I checked my gauges, tightened fittings, and it started pulling. So, my cheap Harbor Freight gauges might be the problem. Each time I'd try to turn off the pump, even with the valves closed down at the line fitting, I'd lose vacuum.

Rather than buy new gauges, I took it to a shop. They charged it up and say its not leaking. Seems to work fine. We'll see how it goes.

mroberds likes this.
  19. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just to update, now that I'm driving this car every day, the A/C is still working. Not sure why my gauges said it wouldn't hold a charge, but it's as likely to have been human error (me) as the cheap Harbor Freight gauges.

mroberds likes this.
  20. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Harbor freight strikes again

mroberds and ronlewis like this.