1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C oil replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MR.K, Jul 10, 2008.

1. MR.K

MR.K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 08 and I need to recharge the A/C but also have to add new oil in it ...The car was a builder ....what oil do I use and where do I get it or is it a dealer item only...thanks m

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The service manual (2007) says to use ND-OIL 11, Do not use any other oil type because of the possibility of electric leakage in the compressor.

Attached Files:

Fostel likes this.
  3. MR.K

MR.K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much oil do you put in??? ie 3 oz

4. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I found the specs for the compressor and the condensor, but I don't know if that is equal to all of the oil in the system. Here are the pages that give the oil quantity:

Attached Files:

steamroller, Fostel and maximusdec like this.
  5. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i was reading this today too, apparently depending on which model you got (192 or 193 i think) your suppose to drain the oil and then put as much as you drain in. The amounts were very small (50 cc to 90 cc but don't take my word for it) as they highly recommend putting as much as you drain and not to assume.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    he dogfriend
    do you have the complete manual somewhere?

7. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I bought a CD from Ebay (probably not legal) that has the 2007 Service Manual. I also downloaded other manuals (body repair, elect harness repair) from techinfo.toyota.com(TIS). You have to subscribe to TIS; for 24 hrs, 1 week or 1 year. I believe there is an equivalent based in the UK for European cars.

8. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing. Apparently there is some special insulating quality about this ND-OIL 11 that if you even get a small amount of regular A/C system oil in your car, you have to change out pretty much the whole system. Here's the sneak path for oil contaminants: If you use a gauge set that was used on another vehicle, you can accidentally introduce a contaminant oil into your system. YOU SHOULD HAVE A DEDICATED A/C GAUGE SET FOR YOUR PRIUS.

Fostel likes this.
  9. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmmm thats not a good thing to hear

10. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I know. I never would have thought about it myself had I not been reading this thread and (just for the fun of it) looked up to see if the ND-OIL 11 is available aftermarket - then I happened to read this on another web page. It makes sense.

On the bright side, if you've never put oil in any of your other car A/C systems and only used straight R-134 (without the leak detection stuff in it), you're probably OK. In any case, all you can do is wait and see. Normally, you should not have to add oil to your system unless you've changed a compressor/evaporator/condenser etc. or had a serious leak.

Fostel likes this.
  11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and don't think that a really small amount of oil ( not the ND11 ) will brake the prius compressor.

12. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is what the shop manual has to say:

DESCRIPTION​
    The DTC is output if there is insulation trouble with the high-voltage circuits in the air conditioning system.
    Insulation trouble with the electric inverter compressor or A/C inverter may be the cause. Any oil other
    than ND-OIL 11 may have entered the refrigeration cycle.
    The motor driven with high-voltage is built into the electrical compressor and is cooled directly with
    refrigerant. Compressor oil (ND-OIL 11) with high insulation performance is used because a leakage of
    electrical power may occur if regular compressor oil (ND-OIL 8) is used.​
    NOTICE:
    • Electrical insulation performance may decrease significantly if even a small amount of oil other
    than ND-OIL 11 is used or enters the refrigeration cycle, causing the DTC to be output.
    • If other oil is accidentally used and a DTC is output, collect the oil in the refrigeration cycle into
    the compressor and replace it with ND-OIL 11 to increase the ND-OIL 11 ratio amount.
    • Replace the main components (evaporator, condenser, and compressor) if a large amount of oil
    other than ND-OIL 11 enters the system. Failing to do so may cause electrical insulation​
    performance to remain low, causing the DTC to be output.

Fostel likes this.
  13. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whats a "DTC"?

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Diagnostic Trouble Code.

15. MR.K

MR.K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just did my 08 ...the nd-11 oil is over $100 for a tiny can ....I changed my condenser and used 1.4 oz ...its like $10 a tablespoon...........

16. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yea its real expensive, you can just pour it into the compressor if you take out the high side line from it, dont ever get a drop of the ester oil in there, your going to ruin your entire a/c system.

Fostel likes this.
  17. bebeto

bebeto New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been reading how you changed the oil in the compressor of your Prius. I need help to change the compressor oil of my 2005 Prius. Can you please explain to me step by step how you did it?... Thank you!

18. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi...

Quickie here if anyone is available

Just pulled my old compressor

Didn't notice any oil in it when trying to figure out how much was in it

Have a new ac compressor

Which hole do input the oil into and how much?

19. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius compressor had exploded inside and needed replaced. I replaced with a brand new condenser and used compressor. The oil that poured out of the kaput compressor had a bunch of metal shavings so that's why I replaced the condenser too. The system was flushed. I poured in 1.4 oz of hybrid ac system oil I bought on amazon(TSI Supercool 24940 Hybrid A/C Compressor Oil) into one of the ports on the condenser before I stalling. The used compressor was dry as a bone so I poured in 3.75 oz of oil into the low pressure side port( was confused about how much the manual actually called for). And I charged the system with about 430 grams of pure refrigerant I bought from walmart. It's been a day and so far the AC is blowing cold. No faults or codes. I have attached the full service manual for the AC system

Attached Files:

Fostel likes this.
  20. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You have a little too much oil in there not horribly bad it will live.

I’m curious who performed the task of flushing out all the lines and hoses?.

Did somebody remove the expansion valve to flush out that evaporator? that would be the only component I could see that did not get flushed. Because if the expansion valve is left in place you cannot flush through it. Then you would have a small amount of oil from the old compressor left inside the evaporator.

Toyotas instructions on oil quantity are very confusing and mine boggling sometimes.

what is listed as a complete oil charge of 2.75 ounces to about 3 ounces.

Does not compute when you add up the quantity of oil they suggest on adding for every component replaced adds up to much more.

This is where all manufactures to cut costs just re-print old information from old documentation from many years ago and same with performance of procedures.