1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C only blows cold when driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ukiltmybrutha, Jul 17, 2021.

1. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, it's not a dirty condenser externally and the fans STILL run.

From an evacuated system with a vacuum pulled, I added 15.9 ounces of R-134 by weight but still....no cooling unless driving.

History....I bought the car from someone I knew used and for a good price at the time. They said they received a diagnosis of a bad evaporator. I wasn't sure if I bought that theory as I have heard that before!

So I decided to do my typical technique at risk like I do when I buy any cheap car. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and I am prepared to lose. It's like any game.

I know that it is generally frowned upon, but I have to disclose it here to get any help. I used superseal (the type that is not supposed to gunk up the system) during one of my last charge as a charge was only going about a month. I know that is a no-no due to compressor type beyond the fear of clogging the system up.

Current symptom is that it won't cool unless the car is being driven then it cools just fine.

I have researched this matter and it seems to be a relatively common problem on these vehicles. In most vehicles that is a clogged condenser or fans that are not blowing (or blowing fast enough).

My searches reveal:

1) Fans not coming on high. (These fans turn but I don't think they are spinning at high speed...you can hear them but they are not exceptionally loud or anything. Hard for me to gauge without knowing what they sound like on high).

2) Failed inverter pump.

The fan setup seems overly complicated. I'd like to run the fans on high to see if this fixes it (as a test only of course).

BTW already verified that the right fan pushes and the other pulls accordingly as to avoid wasting time on that possibility.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Thanks.

#1 ukiltmybrutha, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using techstream?
    If the Inverter pump has failed, the inverter may overheat, and will then try to protect itself by turning things off, like the AC.

3. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, well the compressor still runs. You can see the bubbles in the sight glass. I actually jumped the pressure switch to make the fans run on high but no relief.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my Gen 3 both fans pull (through the grille and condenser/radiator into the engine bay), though they rotate opposite directions to do it. In mine (again Gen 3), the rotation is blade-top-toward-car-midline for both fans (and you can compare the blades and see they have opposite blade pitch to make this work out).

If I saw a pair of fans actually running so that one pulled and one pushed, that would make me suspect an oopsie somewhere, such as a motor that got replaced with an opposite-rotating one.

A 'pushing' fan would be starting with hot engine bay air, pushing it through the radiator to make it hotter, then forcing that through the A/C condenser.

5. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks. I might have said the wrong thing. Let me get this right before I start confusing everyone. I am going to try again.

6. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, both fans are actually pulling. Anyways, with gauges on the low and high sides with AC maxed out I am getting 63 PSI on the low side and 100 on the high side. The numbers don't change even when revved. I am leaning towards a bad compressor due to my wildman A/C work. I jumped the low pressure switch and the fan speed was about the same.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Revving the engine wouldn't make any difference, as the compressor is electric.

I think you may be able to use Techstream to change the revs of the compressor, though I don't think I've seen any example of someone doing that in diagnosis.

8. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the correction. I don't have this software. I guess that I might just grab a used compressor off of Ebay and see what happens.

I am having a hard time finding a DIY youtube for this job....there are 1 or 2 maybe but they are vague or not in English. Most of the videos seem to revolve around repairing the compressor. I have changed many a compressor out but I prefer it when things are laid out.

I have some doubt about the issue being the compressor. In my experience, when a compressor fails the low and high side pressures are identical. Not saying that is ALWAYS the case, just my experience.

#8 ukiltmybrutha, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think I made a video on that and posted it before using Techstream driving the compressor up to 6000 RPMs

10. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you have 63 on the low side and 100 on the high side and you definitely can hear the compressor engage and you can watch the pressures move from a even point for example they were both 80 psi when you started and then the low side goes down to 63 psi and the high side goes up to 100 psi your compressor is bad.

And you have 15 ounces of refrigerant in the system when performing this test.

definitely nothing to do with a clogged condensers or fans not running

If the fans were not running or the condenser is severely clogged you would have a high side pressure approaching 300 or 400 psi.
    What do you reached 440 psi the high-pressure limit would kick in and instantly shut off your compressor.

I have seen the expansion valves rarely but it has happened stuck wide-open.

This will give you a unusually low high side pressure and a higher low side pressure.

With a full refrigerant charge on your test vehicle you would use text stream and drive up to compressor RPMs and as you started raising the compressor RPMs you would start noticing the low side go down lower in the high side go up higher because of the fixed orifice that this stuck expansion valve has become.

Then immediately upon lowering the RPMs of the motor for the compressor you would see the high side and low side approach leveling out within a few psi of each other like you were experiencing now.

That is the other possibility I could not imagine in my wildest dreams what kind of substance would be causing the expansion valve to stick open
    Do you know of some foreign substance in this vehicle that does not belong possibly ?

eBay compressors are extremely cheap nowadays even for Prius.

Replacing expansion valves no fun task.

when removing the old compressor before you replace it.
    Put some brake clean or carburetor cleaner or any kind of thinner inside the openings of the old compressor shake it up and down and all around and poured into a clean glass or a white paper cup.

What we’re looking for is very tiny shiny metal particles.

If you see any at all whatsoever that means there’s 1000 times more stuck in your condenser which will now need to be replaced.

Of course with any compressor burned out it’s automatic to replace the expansion valve but people like to gamble and throw the dice and not replace the expansion valve and they are allowed to gamble it’s their dollar.
    But it is highly recommended including flushing out all the hoses and metal lines and evaporator.

It’s kind of like cancer and the doctor says it’s gonna be this much work in this much money and we can remove all the cancer and you’ll live a long healthy life

Or we could just take out the bad spot of the cancer and remove most of the cancer just leave a little bit behind.

Which one do you choose

ukiltmybrutha and SFO like this.
  11. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  12. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  13. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You drive some valid points about cancer/black death. I know what you mean. Everything is on borrowed time.

Prior to your post, I bought a used compressor. I just have better luck with these in my scenario.

I will try your additional test to see if they slowly climb in a linear fashion until they stabilize on those numbers.

So to sum it up? Either I have a bad compressor or a bad TXV due to putting super seal in there....and unfortunately in this vehicle the TXV is not outside of the firewall in the engine bay?

Thanks.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nope, that's definitely ... not ... where it is. :(

ukiltmybrutha likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lots of bubbles, or just a slight swirl when compressor stops? If the first, maybe charge still lowish? Toyota says you shouldn’t see bubbles if charge is in correct range. Which is a little disconcerting: determining if it’s ok, or empty?

Attached Files:

ukiltmybrutha likes this.
  16. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The location of the txv if it is not the compressor?

17. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say bubbles. I meant r134.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Callout 88515 here:

[​IMG]

Once you have gained access to the evaporator, it's easy to reach. ;)

By the same token, bubbles are about the only way to see anything happen in the sight glass. The R134a is colorless, so if there are no bubbles, it's pretty hard to tell any difference between liquid or absence.

19. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lol, funny! I am trying to be in good spirits. I will say I can see action there but much less these days.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I made this video especially for the bubble boys

SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.