1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A\C powered by traction or 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by George W, Apr 28, 2019.

1. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was curious if the air conditioning system on a generation 2 is powered off of the high-voltage battery or the 12-volt battery? I have seen posts that claim both ways. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    high voltage, a 12v could never power anything that energy intensive

3. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Traction battery only. I use mine every afternoon and on extremely damp and foggy London mornings. During winter too, for defogging the windows.

iPhone 6s +

George W likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The compressor for the air conditioning system is run off the high-voltage supply.

Everything else (fan, controls, supplemental electric heat while engine warms up) runs off the 12 volt supply.

5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you everyone for your clarification. I've been looking at a number of the Prius camping videos that refer to the air conditioner running ff of the 12 volt supply.

I've never tried to camp out of my Prius but I do appreciate the packing tips for a long trip I'm planning on taking soon. The notion of the A/C running off of the small 12v just doesn't make sense to me, and I wonder how so many of these Prius campers got that idea in their mind.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are those priuschat threads?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They're probably just writing casually, and not as interested in the exact details of that as in other aspects of their camping setup.

8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you are parked in the Ready mode with the AC on, the traction battery will run down and the car will start and recharge it (takes about a minute or minute and one-half). I am sure the 12 volt is engaged in some manner, but the traction battery is the main power for AC.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As it was in #4, the high-voltage system is the power source for the A/C compressor, and the low-voltage system the power source for all the rest of the HVAC components.

And of course, when the car is in READY, the high-voltage system is the power source for the low-voltage system. All of it is kept charged by running the engine as needed, which happens automatically.

10. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not many. An invertor post here led me to a link elsewhere.

bisco likes this.
  11. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What runs the Heater?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everything about the HVAC except for the A/C compressor itself is run off the 12 volt system.

When the engine is warm, all of the heat from the heater is being extracted from hot coolant from the engine.

While the engine is warming up, some minimal heat comes from electric elements inside the HVAC unit, powered from the 12 volt system, and only totaling about 700 watts. Compare that to the 5300 watts worth of heat that can be extracted from the coolant when the engine is at temp. The 700 watts are more or less imperceptible in a cold car, except for sometimes helping the windshield defog a bit noticeably faster.

13. garym

garym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Chapman, I replaced a bad transmission in my 07 touring model and after the swap my AC comp doesn't pump. Everything else seems to work like it should. Any ideas on what to check first?
    There is pressure in the system, about 95 psi on both sides, so I don't think there was any freon loss.
    Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas,
    Gary

14. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe evacuate the system and refill it with factory loads?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe the high-voltage (orange) power connections between the inverter and the A/C compressor weren't correctly remade after the transmission work? (Don't just grab them to check. They're high voltage.) Maybe another related low voltage connector was overlooked.

There is a method for getting trouble codes from your A/C computer without even needing a scan tool. If I remember right, it involves holding down AUTO and RECIRC while powering the car on, then you look for two-digit codes in the corner of the MFD. If it can't run the compressor, it has probably noticed.

Anything that involves opening the sealed system, evacuating, recharging, I would probably save for later, after making my best use of non-invasive ways to identify the problem.

16. garym

garym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With fresh eyes (and brain) this morning I found one of the connectors behind the inverter didn't get plugged back in. It was the black one with about 6 wires in it, and of course the hardest to see! Just goes to show you that we should start with the simple stuff until you can pinpoint the problem.
    Anyway, everything working swell now! Thanks for the help!!

17. jeff_the_computer_guy

jeff_the_computer_guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bumping this thread - I just successfully reconditioned my battery, so I am in test mode. Had to replace ECU due to corrosion. As I'm testing it, kept A/C off to get it to charge to high SOC. All good, but turn A/C on and it blows fine, no codes, but is not cold. Been sitting dead for two months as I played with batteries, is there anything I may have missed in reinstallation of the battery that would stop the compressor from working?

18. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have a capable scantool, you can check the HVAC ecu for codes and watch compressor RPM when you turn the system on.

I would expect most HV faults to set warning lights and HC or HVB codes.

Really, if I had a "no cooling" complaint, I would get a gauge set connected to the A/C service ports and see what the high and low side pressures are. Would not be surprised if you have a leak somewhere.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or have dealership do an "AC Service"? Only disclose that it's not cold, methinks.