1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Quit Working in AZ. Help me diagnose the problem.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 15persona, Jul 17, 2022.

1. 15persona

15persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My A/C just quit on me in the middle of a road trip in Arizona. The controls are working fine. When I change air flow direction I can hear it making noises. It just isn't blowing any air. Is this the blower motor most likely or should I pay for a diagnostic? Blower motor from NAPA is in stock for $158 and I can use their tools.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you push the blower button up to the highest setting, do you hear the blower operate?

If you turn the car off, hold the AUTO and fresh/recirc buttons down together, and turn the car ON (two power button pushes, no foot on brake), after the HVAC display flashing and self test, do any two-digit numbers appear at the left of the display (other than 00, which means no codes to report)?

Here's something you might not feel like trying in AZ right now, but if you dial the temp setting all the way up to HI and ask for heat, does any air blow then?

You don't have to leave it that way. :)

fotomoto likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you don't hear the blower motor at all low to high there's nothing blowing out the fence and you don't hear the air conditioner compressor humming away?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Or by getting out looking under the hood right side of the car where the fat air conditioning silver hose passes over the front engine mount is the hose cold and you're just not blowing or?

5. 15persona

15persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sorry for the late response but i figured id post the resolution in case someone searches this post. My brother in law told me it was an easy job and he was right. NAPA auto parts had it in stock. I drove all the way to Phoenix from north of flagstaff with my windows down. I bought the blower motor, borrowed their tools, and installed it in the parking lot. Super easy job only takes about 30 minutes once you figure out where it is. Haven't had any issues with the a/c since replacing the blower motor.

Half Vast, AzWxGuy and ASRDogman like this.