1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Smells like fresh mulch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Apr 18, 2008.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have 1800 miles on 08' and for the first couple of minutes there is a sickly smell coming out of A/C vents. Smells exactly like fresh ripe mulch. At first I thought that I was pulling in the smell from landscaped lawns - afterall it is spring here and there is a lot of it around. It however isn't coming from well manicured properties. Is this the smell that others are describing as moldy/ mildewy or is this something else. I've read all the suggestions about how to minimize a/c evaporator mold buildup. It isn't even that humid here and my wife and I mostly defeat the auto/ac feature and i usually turn off the A/C altogether at least for now - not that hot hear in philly area. Is turning the A/C and auto feature of climate control off contributing to this ?

Kind of disappointing to think that there may already be some incurable chronic problem with unwanted organic material in my green car. Never had this before in any car - my brother had a similar problem in a 89' olds delta that he never got rid of. I'm not happy about having to do a special ritual - ie. run the defroster before turning off my new $26000 vehicle with only 1800 miles on it but please tell me that this will do the trick and I'll reluctantly do it.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you remove and inspect the cabin air filter that is hiding behind the glove box. If you need instructions to access the air filter, look for the sticky in the Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting Forum.

3. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is 4 weeks old - why would you suspect this - does it matter - I think the dealer got the car in february 08. I took delivery 2 week of march.

4. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Listen to Mr. Wong. He knows of what he speaks....well....writes.

You've had the car a couple of weeks, by now you could have four or five litters of dead mice on top of the cabin filter...:p

5. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do definitely do have mice inside my garage in the winter but that's why I don't park my cars in there. I made the mistake of parking my son's Fordr in there over the winter where it sat without being driven all winter. It had dropping inside on the seats.

Come to think of it, I have found seeds and other signs of mouse habitat sitting on top of my other car's manifold. That car doesn't ever go into the garage. Those little meeces must have left the comfort of the garage like little heat seeking missles and climbed up the wheels and onto the warm engine block. I hadn't seen anything like that lately however. They usually leave in the spring and summer and come back when it gets cold but who the hell knows. I have six cats inside my house but they are indoor cats. Well they still have all their claws though. I'm sure they'd love to have a go at spending the night in my garage. If I find any signs of mice in my prius I don't care what my wife says, I'm sending my two fastest cats (griffin and little cloud) out there on guard duty.

Cyberprius ... I know you've had mice problems - where do you find them nesting in your prius ? Do they make their way into the air filter air ? Have you found dropping (eeeek....) inside the cabin of your prius ? Where should I look ?

Thanks.

6. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to attach a picture of griffin and little cloud with my profile - not sure if worked until I post this reply.

7. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I should have done attachments - here's 4 of my 6 cats - griffin is red, little cloud is grey and white on the right. I put up one of my dogs - didn't put up the golden retriever - I know he'd be useless at mousing as will the bernese mountain dog but he's really handsome.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Go pull the cabin air filter, sas. It is right under the owner' s manual :rolleyes:

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you ask for advice, please don't argue with it until you've tried it.
    Anyway... hope that you locate the issue and are able to resolve it quickly.

10. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I dunnot how this works in the Prius, but the A/C in other cars has a drain that allows moisture to drain out. It frequently gets plugged up for any number of reasons, including spiders building webs across it, resulting in the mildewy smell. Clearing it out is a simple operation once you know where it is.

11. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    its a drainage issue, same issue here, cabin filter is clean...search site to find the real answer...sorry, but unless you want to sanatize the evaporator often, you'll have to kill the mold with heat:flame:as in run heater on hi for a few minutes b4 turning power off...works great for me especially when its 90 degrees outside, kinda like bikram yoga

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What's wrong with arguing over other's advise? How do I know, that YOU know, what the REAL answer is? Hugh? Why!

:p

13. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Hill - Patrick wasn't offended by my questioning him. I wasn't sure where he was going with his suggestion and I was in no way trying to be disrepectful. The poster that replied to my questioning Patrick with an attitude was surprising.

Those that are so attached to a mental position and the need to be right are confused about who they truly are. The need to be right and defend their mental positions shows how much they are intrinsically connected to their ideas. To be wrong is to experience a loss of self. They are totally out of touch with anything deeper. Their ego has created a false identity for themselves. That false sense of self is supported when they can make someone else wrong, be in a constant state of judgement and labeling everything they experience. They view themselves as separate from everyone and all that is. They've lost a sense of connectedness. If they could remember who they were before they were any of the many roles they believe themselves to be .. a father/mother, christian/jew/muslim, prius owner, lawyer,doctor, teacher, son or daughter..... they'd probably reconnect with who they truly are and realize that they are not different than most all other forms on the planet. They could then stop defending the false sense of self - the ego.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've posted in other threads that the Prius is inherently more likely to have a mold/funk issue with the A/C. First of all, if parked outside - even during shipping - the cowl area can collect a lot of trash.

Forum member Sufferin Prius Envy has had so much trash in his cowl that water/muck was sloshing around, Forum member Hobbit has very detailed instructions on how to get to the cowl and clean it out

Another issue is that - by design - the Prius A/C will run a lot more than a conventional A/C. The A/C compressor is electric variable speed, so rather than cycle on and off, it varies the output. That means the evaporator coil will be super cold and wet almost all the time, which is a perfect breeding ground for mold/funk

I have the same problem with the A/C at my hobby farm. It's a Bryant Evolution system, so the air handler is variable speed and the outside condenser/compressor is two speed. For our brief but very humid summers, it works *great* for controlling humidity.

I have to use a variety of NuCalgon chemicals to sanitise my e-coil at least before the cooling season, if not again in July or August. If the e-coil is very dirty, as it would be in a car, I would clean it first with NuCalgon Special HD CalClean: this product is diluted 5:1 with water, will quickly emulsify the crud, rinse with water

If the e-coil isn't too dirty, something like NuCalgon EvapFresh can be used, a no-rinse formula. This product is EPA rated for Legionnaires, e-coli, TB, etc. Spray on full strength, let dry

If you have a really stubborn mold/funk problem, as I did at the hobby farm, you will have to follow up with NuCalgon BioFresh CD. This product contains chlorine dioxide with inhibitors to protect the tubing. Use full strength, with plenty of ventilation.

I finally had to treat my Prius last summer and needed to use both the EvapFresh and BioFresh CD. That seemed to work, too early to tell if I have to repeat this summer

As a caution, never *ever* use regular laundry bleach to sanitise an e-coil. The sodium hypochlorite will absolutely erradicate the mold/funk, but will also attack the tubing and lead to a failure down the road