1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C then inverter coolant pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Just a Jon, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Just a Jon

Just a Jon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone. I've gotten much useful help from this forum, so I finally signed up to see if I can contribute and hopefully get some help with this newest issue. My air conditioner stopped working a while back. Worked in the morning on the way to work. Didn't work on the way home. My catalytic converter got stolen that same night, which is completely unrelated, but it took my mind off the ac for a while. Now I just got P0A93 code today. At first I thought, great, replace the coolant pump and my problems are solved. But after looking in to it not so sure. Doesn't seem like inverter coolant will fix the ac. I'm getting trouble code 72 which I believe is: open or short in ac inverter high voltage output system. I saw something about a high voltage fuse inside the inverter for the air conditioner. Is this fuse also responsible for the inverter coolant pump? Are these just two unrelated problems? I am very grateful for any advice anyone cares to give, and thank you all for the help I've already got in the past.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the reservoir for movement

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there is often confusion when people have AC problems and then get a coolant error code. But they are two seperate systems... P0A93 is usually a small electric pump that is the most common thing to fail. It's fairly close to a beginner's level repair job if you or a friend want to save anywhere from few hundred bucks on repair from a reputable local mechanic or $600+ from a Toyota Stealership.

As @bisco says the first step is to see if the coolant is still moving in the reservoir on right side of engine compartment. If it is then the pump is still working. Beyond that we can tell you what you need to know once you tell us what you want to do.

Spartacus likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One possible connection to keep in mind is that the inverter is what powers the A/C compressor in Gen 2.

If a problem with the inverter cooling pump leaves the inverter overheating, the inverter will protect itself by interrupting power to the A/C.

Spartacus likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but then they would realize they had a problem with the inverter at the same time they had a problem with the AC and OP says the AC problem came first.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the original post, I've got an open mind on the exact timing between noticing the A/C issue and noticing the P0A93.

The inverter assembly has a few separate bits of electronics in it; the inverter for MG1, the inverter for MG2, the boost converter, the A/C inverter, and the DC/DC converter. When the temperature is rising, my understanding is that they don't all have to shut down together.

Spartacus likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My air conditioner stopped working a while back. Worked in the morning on the way to work. Didn't work on the way home.

A classic early sign of the inverter cooling water pump failing. Intermittent AC. As mentioned, a warm inverter will protect itself by cutting off the power it supplies for the AC compressor.

As always, FIX THE OBVIOUS FIRST. Replace the pump. It should be replaced about every 80-100k miles anyway just for peace of mind.

Spartacus likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting, you'd think that if the inverter starts running hot and reduces power to the AC that there would be some kind of error code?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You are making too much sense. And I agree, there should be. Unfortunately, I see these symptoms almost every time I do a pump. If I don't ask about it ahead of time, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the "after you're done with the pump, can you look at my AC?" .

So far, the intermittent AC problems have always been solved by the pump replacement.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possibly

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    tantalizingly

13. sydney2008

sydney2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to chime in: I hadn’t especially noticed an issue with my AC, but after replacing the inverter coolant pump last week, I have to say that the AC feels ice-cold amazing. Definitely a major improvement there.