1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a/c trouble codes 13 21 62

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John trapp, Jun 6, 2019.

1. John trapp

John trapp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    does anyone have a list of trouble codes for a/c i have three and cant find a way to read them thye are 13 21 62

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds more like the combination to a safe than a code. Get a mini VCI and a copy of Techstream and install it on an old laptop and read the codes then get back to us. It will be way more helpful.

Actually I’m guessing your talking about blinks?

#2 Skibob, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  3. John trapp

John trapp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i got the codes out of the climate control screen

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are not codes that mean anything here. You need to get the car scanned somewhere or get Techstream

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The climate control system does give you useful codes in the corner of the MFD screen on Gen 2 (just hold down AUTO and RECIRC when powering the car on). That was totally the right thing to do. (Gen 3 works the same way, shows you the codes in the LCD climate display. Gen 1 has a similar function, but a different dance you do to get it, and you count blinks. I haven't studied how Gen 4 does it.)

Usually, the 21 code is nothing to worry about. It tests the solar sensor on the dash. You'll get that one any time you pull the codes when strong light isn't shining on the dash. The only time it means a problem is if you know strong light is shining on the sensor but you still get the code.

13 means a funny signal is coming from the evaporator temperature sensor (there are a few temp sensors in the car; this is the one that lives between the fins of the evaporator coil, buried inside the HVAC unit). There are four pages of workup instructions in the Repair Manual to help you determine why you're getting that code. It might (likely) just be a wiring or connection issue somewhere you can reach without digging in that far. Just have to see.

62 is a funny signal from the cabin humidity sensor. That guy is combined with the cabin temperature sensor, behind a small grilled opening in the lower dash panel up above your right knee. Also about four pages of workup ideas for it in the manual. It's a lot easier to get to than the evap sensor. It's also something that often gets left unplugged when people have work done on the dash.

You can pull these same codes using Techstream (21 will come out as B1421, etc.) but it's awfully easy to just pull them up on the MFD.

Here is more info on finding the Repair Manual and its instructions for dealing with whatever codes you have.

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I learned something today. Are there any other codes the MFD can read other than AC codes? I prefer to not say stupid stuff. Like I did above. :whistle:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, there are the infotainment health check codes. It seems like every new owner stumbles into those screens (maybe for the battery voltage display on the Vehicle Signal Check screen) and gets all excited about the trouble codes shown there (which all kind of look like 01-DB 160-72-5, nothing at all like OBD-II DTCs).

Usually you have to disappoint people and say, well, those codes aren't related to the ones you probably want from the chassis or powertrain, they're only for the infotainment system.

But every now and then somebody is trying to troubleshoot a problem with the nav or the radio or what not, and in those cases, those really are the codes they're looking for,

They're covered in the manual too, of course.

Skibob likes this.
  8. John trapp

John trapp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you nice cold a/c found broken wires at thermistor to evap and bad a/c amplifier 33 dollars for used part and nice cold air

Raytheeagle, bisco and Skibob like this.