1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C woes, does this seem right?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dvancleve, Mar 6, 2019.

1. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy folks.

So what I assumed as a simple refrigerant leak turned out to be a BIG deal. The leak is in the evaporator and, probably because of the leak, the compressor is shot. The compressor is an expensive part with relatively cheap install, the evaporator is a cheap part with a crazy expensive install. I have no reason not to trust the shop that diagnosed everything, they said the compressor is only available from Toyota and is about $800. The evaporator install requires completely removing the dash, down to the firewall, and is 7-10 hours of labor. Total was quoted at just over $2800 :(

The car is an '06 with about 175K miles on it, peeling clearcoat on the roof and starting on the hood. It is dented on the driver's side and has bad scratches from one of those parking lot lights with the cylindrical concrete bases on the passenger side. It is one owner and has about 80K on a Toyota replacement hybrid battery. The MFD doesn't work, sending it off for repair has been on the to-do list for a while. It is working now, but I suspect the ABS accumulator (or whatever it's called) is on its way out for the second time. Putting in another used one is the better part of $500. I doubt the car is worth $5K with the AC working, so I'm pretty sure it is time for it to go.

I am going to call a couple other shops I have used or had recommended, but it seems unlikely anyone will be WAY cheaper and even $2K is probably too much. Any other options? Is a used compressor possible and not stupid? AC has to work here in PHX, at least for my family's use...

Thanks, Doug

#1 dvancleve, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. You have almost the same miles as my wife's '05 had when the A/C went out. And that was both the compressor and evaporator. It was about a $1,600 job at a non-Toyota shop. A couple weeks later, a texter rear ended us and totaled her car. :mad:

I just has a used compressor put in my '13 PiP. It was $100 for the compressor and $200 to install. It had about 48,000 miles on the used compressor that they put in. We'll see how it holds up.

I've had all the plastic off the dash of a couple gen 2. I'm not sure what else has to come off to get to the evaporator, but I'd guess at lease the hvac fans and the ECUs behind the glove box.

3. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Jerry :) How recently was the work done on you wife’s car? I wonder if ‘09 is the newest year with a compatible compressor or if that part stayed the same into the Gen3? If I can get into the $1500 or less range I might do it... Doug

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Doug (cool name BTW)

There's a thread here showing how much is involved with replacing the evap. core (not exactly a how-to tho') and yes it's very labor intensive and not a job for the average joe. Here in Texas, just like AZ, vehicles without a/c are doomed.

Considering the overall condition you stated and to minimize your losses, I'd sell that Toyota battery on the local CL (to avoid shipping hassles and probably almost immediately) but leave it in the car to show buyers it works great and then offer up the rest of the car to those folks who specialize in prius rebuilds and need lots of parts.

GOOD LUCK!

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You guys are not thinking straight about this. Personally, I would keep my eyes peeled for a gen 2 in really good condition but with a bad battery. Right? I've been able to buy 2 prii for $1k or less that have been in excellent condition and just needed the battery fixed. The 07 Touring I drive now was purchased for 2k and had 143k miles. needed battery fixed and front windshield had a crack. The black 2005 max option I recently bought my son was $950, in excellent condition and needed a battery.

The deals are out there, just keep looking.

Or just replace the compressor with a used one. If the leak is slow, one $6 can of R134a each spring isn't all bad....did that with my F150 for 7 years.

Skibob, jerrymildred and dvancleve like this.
  6. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did the “top off every year or so” for the past several years, I guess I kind a lost my mind with the quote for replacing the compressor and the evaporator. You’re spot on, it looks like used compressors are $40-$75 and installation is maybe a couple hundred bucks. That’s probably the smart move, along with getting that MFD repaired. Thanks!

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was summer or fall of 2015. I'm pretty sure the compressors are different, but not absolutely sure.

dvancleve likes this.
  8. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any tips on shopping for a used compressor? I’m thinking newest model year, lowest miles (best mix of those, anyway), from someplace not too hot than cross my fingers... Also, should anything else be done when a compressor is replaced?

Thanks again, Doug

#8 dvancleve, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  9. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update: I got a used compressor on eBay, allegedly from a 2009 with 55K miles on it and NOT from an oven like Phoenix. I had it installed by the same mechanic who installed a used ABS actuator (accumulator?) for me 7 or 8 years ago. Installation was more than I was expecting, but I have cold air again for way less than the cost of just a new compressor...