1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Chris Fix YouTube Video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by padroo, Dec 11, 2018.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know if this has been around before.

I Bought the Most Hated Car on the Internet (and made $1000)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it really the most hated?

sounds implausible. what year and how many miles?

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chris Fix is quite a showman. I think driving a Prius a lot of people think tree hugger and left wing, climate change and ends up being a political statement. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a dam". :)

DLC82SV likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it used to be that way, but now, most have caught on to the frugality part

i say, anything that keeps my oceanfront home from flooding is a good thing

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 1999 Plymouth Prowler has it's share of haters. It doesn't have a V-8 and the auto journalist are still saying it is one of the top ten worst cars ever built. Talk to a Prowler owner and you will find different. They hold more value today than the Corvette the same year.

Example: Worst Sports Cars: Plymouth Prowler

Is the Plymouth Prowler Really One of the 50 Worst Cars of All Time? - AutoSpies Auto News

Plymouth Prowler - Gallery: The 25 Worst Cars Ever Made | Complex

It's like someone coming up to you and saying your kid is ugly.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they look really cool

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take one to a car show and the purist hot rodders won't even look at one.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    car snobs :rolleyes:

padroo likes this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We always get thumbs up from bikers, they are different than the hotrodders.

DLC82SV and bisco like this.
  10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Despite the title, it's a really good video of the battery module replacement. And he has nothing but kind words for the prius. He's making $1K on the job.

DLC82SV likes this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I owned a Gen 2 Prius but never had a problem with my battery. I feel kind of left out on Prius Chat because I have zero hands on experience. If mine would have failed I would have tackle it myself, maybe saving some money or maybe not but I would have learned how it ticks. I consider myself an advanced do it yourselfer in a lot of different areas.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thought regarding the video: do these guys get up in the morning and immediately put their rubber mechanics gloves on??

He recommends dropping the bus bar nuts in vinegar/water solution? IIRC, someone here did that and the nuts immediately turned black? Maybe depends on the coating?

Addendum: they do come out looking somewhat blackened, maybe's'okay?

All-in-all, a really informative video. Even though it's second gen, I saved a copy.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  13. Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Would have made closer to $2,000 if he rebuilt the battery himself.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very well done video!!

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder how long it actually took Chris Fix to actually change the battery including filming?
    First thing I would have done is put the car in my garage.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang it!
    4 million subs....
    2 million views....
    There goes my chance to find a $1500 G2 in immaculate shape that just needs a new battery..... :(

THIS is exactly why I always advise starving grad students and recent college graduates with debt loading the size of France NOT to buy a G2....unless they can write a four-figure check.
    ...twice.
    The only thing I would add is that for a G2 that is not in such good shape, I probably would have spent some gigabytes and gotten a YouTube degree in battery reconditioning and probably brought that 'as repaired' price down to much less than $1000....because there are always inverters, stator windings in the transaxle, and regenerative brakes that might go out as well, in addition to all of the junk that can and will fail in say...........a 2007 Corolla.

Of course....you're not going to be able to buy an 07 Corolla at the flashing "Red Triangle Special" price, but then again, G2s are going to get to be harder and harder to find as well now that the word is getting out.
    Oh.....and I've always said that Prius Hate was never really directed at the CAR, so I'm not surprised that Chris chose this car to get 2 million views with. ;)

You have to ask yourself:
    Would the dealer that quoted the $4000 replacement price have taken the time to do the job the way Chris Fix did, or would they just have slapped the new pack into the car and kinda put everything back the same approximate place?

Things that make you go...Hmmmmmm.....

#16 ETC(SS), Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My personal opinion, is it's kind of sad that I think a lot of people almost feel obligated to "hate the Prius". Which I personally never have understood. It's an amazing machine.
    It's "goals" in operation may be somewhat different than what some people want or expect from a singularly powered ICE sports car or SUV, but pound for pound I think people should be impressed with the Prius.
    If that segment of people could get past the antiquated thinking that it's a "Hybrid" and somehow that makes it bad, they might be able to appreciate what an amazing machine it actually is. For me? Watching the disassembly of the battery just illustrates all the work and engineering that actually exists in a Prius.
    Some people are frustrated at the pace of evolution. But when you really look at all a Prius is? You have to credit Toyota with being able to produce such an amazing machine, available on a mass produced level.

To me if you like automobiles, appreciate machines...what's NOT to like about a Prius? Not liking it because it's a Hybrid, makes no sense to me.
    I'm willing to listen to someone that might say, I don't want one, because I want something faster, or I want something bigger, etc, etc...and I'm OK with that.
    But most non-owners, non-drivers, to simply dislike it, because of preconceived ideas and prejudices of what a "Hybrid" is? Seems so incredibly narrow minded.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe in a decade they'll have a hybridized Fit in North America, and not that #$&!* IMA system. (y)

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I wonder is that Chris Fix says the battery is warrantied for 3 years, but with the possibility of double that 6 years of life.

Toyota, with a new Prius warranties their Hybrid Batteries to the new owners for a minimum of 8 years, 100,000 miles or 10 years, 150,000 miles in a CARB state. And my feedback and experience within Prius Chat, suggests to me that for the majority of Prius Owners, this is at least the minimum life span they enjoy.

Why wouldn't that battery have a similar expected life span?
    If a new Prius Battery-in a bought new Prius, fails within 6 years, and less than 100,000 miles, it gets replaced under warranty.

But it seems with these rebuilt, refurbished batteries, the warranty umbrella doesn't usually extend beyond 3 years.

Is the reality is even the BEST rebuilt battery is incapable of the same life span as a brand new battery?

To me Hybrid Battery replacement on a 8-12 year cycle vs. 3-6 year cycle is a big difference.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe when prices come down a bit more, we'll start to think of the hybrid batteries somewhat akin tire replacement. Relax about it. Maybe the problem is not so much that they need periodic replacement, but the angst.