1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A click when braking in a new direction.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by EvanB, Feb 3, 2016.

1. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,

My 2014 pip has an odd noise I first notice when pull out of the garage. When I am traveling in reverse and hit the brakes there is a loud click as if something in the suspension is shifting. Then when in drive I have the same click the first time I hit the brakes.
    I also hear a metallic rattle on the highway over expansion joints. The dealer says that noise is nothing but coupled with the click under breaking I am sure some item is loose.

Does anyone else have this noise?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both of my cars, Camry and Prius do the click when brake is applied first time in reverse.

EvanB likes this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Happens in mine, too. I'm not even slightly concerned.

EvanB likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the caliper or pads shift slightly.

Xterra72 likes this.
  5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bisco is correct, its the pad that is most likely shifting.. the pad kind of "floats" in the bracket.. there are little clips to keep it in place, but they're "springy".. so they could shift left and right.. the noise is most likely the metal backing plate of the brake pad that is hitting the bracket before it "bounces" back to its resting position

Maybe a picture would help:

[​IMG]

The metallic noise you hear when hitting dots on the road or expansion joints on the freeway, I hear that too sometimes. I have alwaya suspected it was some heat shield on the exhaust or something that would rattle when it hits a big bump. Also, I only hear it when I have a window down.. I've never noticed it when my windows are up. People who have taken their cars to the dealer seem to get "nothing wrong" answer, like yourself.

So like markable, I don't worry about it.

Xterra72 likes this.
  6. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the reply. I am just glad that I am not the only one with the sound(s). I wanted to make sure before my warranty ran out.
    My civic hybrid had a similar pad spring setup but no click, not that it really matters.

Part of me is extra sensitive as my pip seems to be much looser and prone to rattles than my new to me volt.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is very common in disc brake cars. The pads can slide forward or backward, to allow room for thermal expansion (they get HOT!). So when the car is cold, and you go backwards and hit the brakes, the pads slide backwards about 1/4" and then click. Then, when you shift into D and move forward, they click again when you first brake. Perfectly normal.

Don't know about the rattling over expansion joints, but probably not related at all.