1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a concern for northern PIP owners

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wiggleman, May 23, 2012.

1. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We've had a lot of rain here in Virginia lately. Almost every morning, I find that water has pooled inside the charge port, since the car is not in a garage.

If you live further north, you might find that rain or snow will also pool inside there during winter, and may even freeze :eek:

This could cause some unforeseen problems.

2. gbrown

gbrown New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once built up a bit water will spill out of door opening so can only pool so much. its designed to charge inside or out, rain or shine so I would not be too concerned.

3. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm....

I'm having a hard time imagining what you are talking about because I have charged outside multiple times in heavy rain and not noticed the potential problem you are talking about.

You are right, though, that if this happens in winter time (in Minnesota, where I live) it could be a real problem. Water turning to ice is not good (as evidenced by all of the road repair that is needed every summer here in Minnesota).

There are definitely going to be some new aspects to plugging in when winter arrives. Freezing rain will also not be fun! (I may need to borrow the 'heat gun' our technicians use at work for shrink tubing on my charge cable connection! :eek:)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't the charge port covered by a special molding in the door that closes over it?

5. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is, there are also drain holes as well. This is a non issue.
    The biggest issue could be during freezing rain/sleet sticking to the charging handle, making it a challenge to remove.

6. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends what you mean, when charging there is no moulding covering the area
    [​IMG]

and the does does nto close when charging. (the port is well protected when closed and not charging).

Looking at the angle I can see how water might get in there (but never into the actual "hot" area of the EVSE because of the way the plug works with double baffles).

But even a few drips falling/splashing as one unplugs could cause problems. (I've read of both leaf and volt's where people got water into the EVSE. The circuit will protect itself, but will not charge in that state).

I think the bigger issue might be freezing in place.. but if the charge is delayed the resistive heating inherent in charging should keep it reasonably above freezing in VA. (Maybe not fargo).

7. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My point exactly - the plug freezing in place, or ice preventing the hatch to close properly.
    I'm not worried about water inside the connector or receptacle. Still, I'm thinking of making something to cover the port while charging.

8. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.