1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A deal I couldn't refuse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by buzzard767, Sep 2, 2009.

1. buzzard767

buzzard767 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The title makes it sound like a received a good deal on a car but it's subjective. I had a IV Solar on order and was expecting delivery in late October. My wife and I had talked ourselves into believing the recent price increase announcement was okay and that maybe we'd even make use of the new required "options". Last week I watched a III on my dealer's inventory go unsold so on Sunday I drove out there and found it to be a Solar with the August price tag. It seems like the $1800 solar option isn't popular in northern Wisconsin. Anyway, my wife and I decided that we could live without leather and heated seats so I verified that the car was available Monday morning and closed the deal at noon. I saved approximately $3500 over what an October IV Solar would have cost me. Not only that, the insurance premium is $48 less per year than my trade, an '06 Hyundai Sonata.

I've been reading this forum for about a month and was expecting lots of small irritations. Although I've only had the car for a couple of days it has been long enough to form the following impressions.

The driver's seat is comfortable.

The ride is ever so slightly harsh but not so much that it bothers me at all. I am known to drive straight through to my FL home (23 hours) with gas stops only and I would have no problem doing so in the new Prius.

The handling is fine. It's a family car and drives like one. I've owned Vettes, Porsches, Bimmers, and probably the world's most tricked out turbo Miata. Those cars had their purpose and the Toyota doesn't pretend to compete.

The solar system does what it is intended to do although I'll reserve final judgement until after the car gets a workout under the Florida sun.

I was under the impression that I was going to have to upgrade the JBL speakers. My impression was wrong. I'm perfectly happy with the sound system as it is although I did bump the rear speaker + 2 clicks as recommended in other threads and it did make an improvement.

My cell is an iPhone 3G and the blue tooth works perfectly even with both BT and WiFi turned on in both the phone and iPod modes.

The XM radio works as it should. I was one of the first XM customers when they first put the satellites up, have had it in several cars plus a portable that I use at home and in rentals. I've read all the complaints about signal cut outs in non-repeater areas. Mine does not do that when given clean line of sight. I don't expect any difference when the car is being operated in lower latitudes in a couple of months but time will tell.

The NAV system. I live in a small town. The NAV shows everything drivable, even the tiny one lane road system in a large local park. Once set up, guidance worked perfectly. As stated by nearly everyone, the NAV is not nearly as intuitive as most other similar devices. True. Reading the manual helps immensely. Actually, after spending a lifetime (25-30 thousand hours) in both low and high tech cockpits it is a fun challenge to learn the nuances.

After having read so many complaints about various aspects of the Gen III on this site I was convinced that Toyota still had not gotten it "right". I have changed my mind. The Prius is a wonderful automobile and I love it.

Buzz :cool:

9 people like this.
  2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sorry your experience with your new Prius didn't follow with your expectations.:rolleyes:

I have always enjoyed cars. I usually have been very excited about a new car purchase -- for a few weeks, perhaps. I can tell you that I was more excited about my 2007 Prius the day I traded it in than on the day I bought it (or even weeks later).

Here's hoping you have the same experience with your new 2010 Prius III (w/ Solar)!!!!!

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right on... great write up.

4. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had to laugh when I read your statement above. I felt the same way.

You're right, it's a great car. --although you're lucky, my insurance when up $80 for 6 months coming from a 2007 XLE, V6 Camry!

5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I couldn't agree more with BUZZ on his great review and early observations. I have read a lot of varying degree of commentary and compared to the 2003 Prius I owned this is a winner to me by any comparison.

I find that the car seats are MUCH more comfortable, the dash quite high tech...the features of my V are quite high tech as well. Love the LED Headlights at night. I work off shift and the difference is quite appreciable.

The NAV is wonderful to have built in, the Bluetooth is wonderful too, no lag in conversation as some have stated, clear and easy. In fact the car sitting in my garage will connect to the Phone easily 100 feet away most of the time....almost scary!

The MPG thus far after only 200 miles is via the computer BEST MPG of 49.7. Which who can complain about those early numbers. I am using interstate to work as well.

I think there is always something Toyota could do different or better as with all auto manufacturers, but they did a good job with this one. I am quite pleased.

Only things I wish they added was DRL in the US market, and Auto ON Headlights as well, but since they have at least the Auto Off, I can leave them on so they are somewhat a DRL and shutoff automatically so it's a compromise in a small way.

Good Luck with your new car and hope to hear more reviews later after your settled in....

6. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Buzz, et al, My experience has been similar to that of Buzz. No dealer complaints and very satisfied with my Prius. My biggest complaint with the dealer I purchased my car from is the nearly obsessive need to tell me how to fill out the customer surveys. Thus far, my biggest complaint with the car may be the subscription cost of XM, which in all likelihood means I will not subscribe when the 90 day free trial expires.

Excellent write-up Buzz. --TK

7. buzzard767

buzzard767 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Positive experiences are such a pleasure. :p

Buzz

8. Pugsy

Pugsy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm chuckling as I'm relating to Buzz. I haven't purchased my Prius yet, but have been reading the forums for about a month. You do tend to read about a lot of little nitpicks people have that make you wonder if the vehicle will disappoint when you get it. I have to remind myself that everyone has something or other that they don't like about their car, even if they love it on the whole, and that most people wouldn't be at PriusChat if they didn't love their Prius! :)

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And here is another gift from the Toyota engineers that often gets unnoticed, the maintenance.
    In the 60,000 miles I have put on my 2007 I have only had to pay for 1 set of replacement tires, 2 cabin air filters, 1 engine air filter, and 11 oil changes. For fun I changed the transaxle fluid a few weeks ago. The maintenance is so cheap and easy to do yourself.

10. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe I remember reading that the Prius leads all cars with a record breaking 92 %+ customer satisfaction. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...you-buy-that-car-again-406/overview/index.htm

1 person likes this.
  11. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Excellent review, and you might play with your tire pressures to soften your ride, much of your harshness is probably NOT the suspension, but rather, high tire pressures.

And GOOD LUCK now making your non-stop excursions to Florida, I wager your fuel economy will outperform your bladder!

David (aka Blind Guy)

12. buzzard767

buzzard767 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You really started my chuckle response. The trip is about 1600 miles so only two gas stops. You're correct. Not a chance I could do that, and I promised my wife I wouldn't try it. :rolleyes: I did the non stop gig in July (intelligent wife took a plane) and I was wasted for a day after arrival, so never again. At age 65 it's time I get over the Marine Corps attitude and stop to smell the flowers along the way. lol

The Prius ride is not really harsh, just solid, and I'm betting you're correct about tire pressure. I haven't checked it yet because I've been too darn busy driving and smiling.

In any case, the most fun car I ever owned did in fact have a fairly harsh ride but to be honest I hardly noticed it. Stock, 96 HP at the rear wheels, mine, 264.2 - blue smoke all the way to the red line in second gear and I never blew a drive shaft or rear end - classic Japanese over-engineering. Notice the XM antenna on the trunk lid. :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK - so you can't leave us gearheads here looking for more info in your turbo Miata - got more info on it? Looks like a fun auto-x car. :)

14. buzzard767

buzzard767 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After two years of ownership I decided I needed more performance or else I was going to buy something else. Aftermarket parts availability was on the rise so I started adding to the car, piece by piece. My first power enhancement was a Sebring supercharger which boosted the rear wheel HP to 147.4 as can be seen on this dyno chart. I also notice that I had misrepresented the turbo HP by +2. My bad. lol After that I upgraded the suspension, wheels, tires, sub frame braces, short shifter, removable steering wheel, and even upgraded the sound sytem - new head, speakers, amp, and subwoofer which filled up the trunk.

Flyin' Miata replaced the Sebring with one or their turbos and added a heavy duty clutch and dual exhaust among other things before shipping the car to me in Florida. Naples probably has more performance cars per capita than anywhere else on the planet and this little 2500# 1.6 liter scooter could keep up with (or pass) 90% of them. I received a lot of shocked looks on the Tamiami Trail and I75. ;)

15. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Buzz. Enjoy your new Prius. :) Did you keep the Miata for when the urge to mash the gas pedal becomes irresistible?

16. buzzard767

buzzard767 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I finally sold the Miata a couple years ago - a matter of garage space.

The Prius is fantastic. I find myself looking for excuses to drive it. lol The salesman called my cell phone a couple hours ago for a follow up and to see if I had any questions. I thought that was a nice touch. The car is all it's cracked up to be and purchasing it was a good move. I assumed driving it would be boring but it's actually a lot of fun. I do believe I'm getting a little (shudder) smug. :rolleyes:

17. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I spent all last weekend driving my wifes Prius except for the trips to Lowes which required my HHR SS to haul the plywood and I must say it is a very impressive car.

I think the steering is a bit to touchy and will go with 17's in the spring for tires but thats it.

I give it an 8 out of 10, same as my HHR SS. My Trans Am gets a 9 ;).

I love the seats in the Prius, not quite as good as my TA but still loveable.

18. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Buzz,
    Do you mind PMing me your dealer info? I live near Milwaukee but would travel for a good experience.

Thanks,
    Shana

19. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I agree with you. I have read so many things that I really have not had a problem with yet. The one thing that twists my panties is the inaccuracy of the speedometer and gas mileage computer. If they aren't accurate what good are they.

20. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OMG what were you thinking??? No leather or heated seats??? Your rear end will never forgive you. You will suffer for the rest of your life...

Keith :)

P.S. Enjoy your new toy....