1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A different way to calculate MPG for the Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CraigCSJ, Jan 31, 2012.

1. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I like public charging stations with shutter doors. Like the one on the attached picture.

The cord goes between the bottom of the shutter door and the frame.

Attached Files:

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It may indeed be possible to run the cord into and out of the hatch so that the closed hatch prevents the cord from being taken away without opening the hatch. It would depend on whether or not you can close the hatch securely on the cord.

3. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw a clever solution on the Volt site that someone came up with. Basically he lays a section of the charging cord out and pulls on to it with the car so the tire is sitting on it. Would make it pretty hard to steal (but would be a pain if you regularly had to do it regularly).

I got a bicycle cable lock I use though the handle of the Volt EVSE to secure it when I charge in a public garage (theres a gap between the conduit coming out of the top of the outlet box and the wall on mine).

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have done so with charging the 12volt battery in my car. The difference here is that the charger's fastest setting was 6 amps, and I only used the 4 amp one at most.

You'll be drawing more amps, and as the cord length increases, so does the resistance of the cord. That's why it is impossible to find vacuums with cords over 30ft, and the cord is noticably warm to the touch after use.

For the PHV you'll likely need a 20amp cord. Assuming you want to go against the do not use extension cord warning that will likely be on the charger.