1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Disturbing Absence

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Oct 4, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    during my earliest years, we were nearly living in poverty. we were eligible for welfare and a bunch of other benefits, but the only thing my mother accepted was WIC/food stamps. so from that very early age i learned that you reach your absolute most desperate, and don't take what you can get by without, when it comes to assistance from others. i know there are many others in this country who hold the opposing "take whatever you can get" attitude, and that makes a bad name for everyone in the system. and i think that's what bothers the staunch conservative group...

but if you have no options, and you can't afford healthcare without sacrificing the important things, and you have children in the situation? some people need help.

the income limits for most types of assistance are very low. that's good because it helps people who really need it. but what if you're just a little bit over the limit? does earning an extra $1000 a year mean you're in a position to pay $5000 in health insurance premiums and the person who makes $1000 less isn't? does that make ANY sense at all? i believe those are the people this bill intended to help.