1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few answers to your questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I want the sunroof/remote air conditioning function but I don't want the navigation system (since I have my own Garmin GPS). Will it be possible to configure a 2010 this way?

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No. The package and options information (See HERE) states Navigation is bundled with the Sunroof.

3. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks ggood. But crap. That Nav system is horribly overpriced and redundant (to me). I wonder why Toyota felt it was important to tie the sunroof to the Nav in terms of packages. Me not happy about that.

4. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do agree that the nav is overpriced and I wish I could get the back-up camera with the nice screen for my audio. Looks like I will be getting the silver package with Bluetooth .:)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Prius Team!!

Hmm, how many factory systems have TTS? I thought only PNDs had them. I hope this works well.

Do you know how much more detailed the maps are? I know there is a limitation on size (i.e. a DVD) but I was wondering if you know where I can grab the details of the differences between Nav disc 8.1 and the current disc (presumably 9.1)

I believe I did see a screenshot with 3D mapping but I think it was off the Venza (which uses the same Gen 6 system).

6. eldiee

eldiee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have read in several places on PriusChat about the sun roof and solar panels as to there weight and possible lowering of the MPG. Has anyone seen this to be fact or just guessing? I'm wanting to order one with this option, if it does not lower the MPG significantly.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland - the prototype cars had ver 8.1 NAV discs in them.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey PriusTeam, here's a couple more challenges:

Will the production cars' wheels be mounted so that the asymmetry is pointed the same way on both sides? Will the recommended tire rotation be front to back, or cross-rotation?

9. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Does Toyota plan to produce any Models IV and V (1227 and 1229) without any of the Nav, Solar or AT packages?

Why do the model numbers skip from 1223 to 1225 to 1227 to 1229? Are the even numbers for foreign models?

Generally speaking, how does Toyota decide how many of each kind of model/package to initially produce? How frequently does Toyota tend to revise these numbers?

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    FYI, Venza Nav manual does not say or show anything about birdseye or 3D views.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Will the non-Nav version be fitted with a standard double-din radio head unit that can be easily replaced by some aftermarket equipment?

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohh ok. Then I guess 9.1 is coming out this fall. Anyone who takes delivery of a Prius around the US Thanksgiving should get a newer disc.

hmm.... the video I posted of the Blizzard Pearl at Geneva had what looked to me Bird's Eye View.

13. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The most important question to be answered about the navigation system in the new Prius is whether it will be fully functional while the car is moving.

If not, it's worthless.

14. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's been answered many times herein. While it might be very important for some it is absolutely unimportant for others. I for one prefer the voice functionality over having to type in addresses. Everything I would want to do by hand I can do by voice so the current config is perfect for my use.

15. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Limiting the functionality of a $1700 piece of navigational equipment, to the impractical usefullness and undesirability of address only input, doesn't sound like a perfect combination to me.
    In fact it's quite unsatisfying to be reminded everytime one has gotten underway, that any spontaneity, change of plans, or specifics desires in a destination are met with the need to change lanes, slow down, exit, pull over, find somewhere to safely stop, fight a frustrating database and selection method, only to give up and wish for a $150.00 GARMIN that will accomplish the goal in second.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry but the first point is a nit as far as I'm concerned. I don't care one bit about the 5 sec delay before the screen comes to life. That's only personal differences I suspect.

I also think that you misunderstand the lack of spontaneity. You do know that you can change your destination on the fly at 80 mph if that's the spontaneity you desire. As I noted above I much prefer the voice activation option to any hand input. I think you may have been misled about how the Toyota system works.

17. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Who said anything about the 5 sec delay?
    Do you carry your address book with you and only go to places in the book?
    Next time you are driving 80 mph and spontaneoulsy desire to find the nearest walmart or Arby's or whatever specific, good luck getting that destination in there. You'll be shopping elsewhere or going hungry, settling for something else, or pulling over and stopping.

Addresses are only attained with pre-planning. So limiting functionality to address only input or random, non-specific POI's is useless in spontanious, situations.
    Say you are driving home from work and that store on the other side of town, you've never been to, calls to let you know your new order has come in. How ya gonna get there without pulling over and stopping and probably not finding it in the database anyway?
    It's in the GARMIN, and ready to go.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :drama:

Don't be a drama queen. I have the current Nav system and a Garmin unit, and I never bother with the Garmin unit in the Prius. The factory system works just fine. I would prefer a few changes, but it's not a big deal.

Tom

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Foreign models"? "Foreign" models?:eek:

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy...the telephone number....or ask the person who calls 'What's your address?'

Now you're trying to find ways to make the system seem difficult to use. No it's not as flexible as a garmin. But it's nowhere near as bad as you make it our to be. Again a nit. If you like the Garmin, stick with it. It's a great system. But for my preference not having the device hanging around the dash somewhere is a plus.