1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a few LEDs are out on Valenti tails - what to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by macmaster05, Mar 16, 2018.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok so in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a huge deal, but a few of the white LEDs on my left reverse light are out and it does bother me a little. I bought my car from a private seller who had the valenti tails installed. What am I supposed to do? Contact the manufacturer, seller, or is this supposed to be fixed myself? Thanks!
    EDD546A7-F17C-499A-B5FD-1CD9F84D0461.png

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a 25c per LED fix plus hours of labour. Unfortunately the quality of many of those ebay headlight and taillight assemblies are less than Toyota-quality...

Usually you take it off the car with some bolts, pretty easy to do, maybe 30 minutes if it's your first time ever. Then you bake it in a good oven at a temperature high enough to melt the adhesive sealant but low enough to not deform any of the hard plastic. Good oven because cheap crap ovens you find in kitchens can fluctuate 50F or 100F degrees. A nice electric convection oven will do the job. Then using a flat head screwdriver and some chisels (with oven-gloves on) start prying up the tabs and separating the plastics. You may need to put it back in the oven a few times if you work slowly, you only have about 15-20 seconds after taking it out of the oven to get the pieces apart. After you've separated the pieces let them sit and cool down to room temperature. If you try and take stuff apart before then, you may deform the plastic and it won't go back together properly. After its cool to the touch, unscrew the PCB. Use a solder sucker to get the LEDs out of the subtrate, replace with new LEDs. Then bake it back together. Heat it up in the oven start pushing together, do that a few times. Then reinstall on the vehicle.

macmaster05 likes this.
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had no idea it was so involved/difficult. I'm guessing it's probably out of warranty with the manufacturer too.

So the answer is, there's nothing I can do...?

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing easy you can do to fix it. We're in a replace-it world, this is when you buy a whole new pair of lights off eBay and install those.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if they’re off eBay or not. They’re genuine valenti lights. I think the seller got them from the guy most people did here.

I understand your point though.

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some generations of Valenti tail lights don’t require baking to disassemble. I got lucky with mine, and had @Dylan Doxey repair some burnt out brake LEDs on the passenger tail. Try removing the tail light and taking it apart first before buying new tail lights.

macmaster05, Dylan Doxey and Burna J like this.
  8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. Good to know, thanks.

As I implied earlier, this is not a huge deal to me so I would never even dream of buying a replacement at this point. 2 or 3 missing LEDs from a reverse light will never get me to spend $250 or more, no matter how much I love my car. If the actual taillight, brake light, or anything that could get me a ticket were to burn out I'd be much more concerned.For now its ultra low priority. I was just curious.